Acura: MDX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
My only problem now with the exterior design is the ultra-conservative-looking wheels.
It worked on the RDX, it works here. IMO
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AsianRage
It worked on the RDX, it works here. IMO
yeah, but there's a difference between a mid-$30's entry-premium SUV and a supposed more upscale $40-50k midsize premium SUV...Acura/Honda's wheel selection department has let us down once again, which unfortunately is not surprising at all.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Race Director

What do you want Acura/Honda to put? That would be funny if they put the chrome spinner rims.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

The new suspension geometry, MacPherson strut up front and multi-link in back, rolls on 18 x 8J alloy wheels wearing P255/55R18 all-season tires. Cooperative Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) incorporates traction control and Trailer Stability Assist and works with the SH-AWD by predicting the need for VSA and transferring torque quickly enough to eliminate it. The four-wheel-disc ABS brakes include Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist, which optimizes brake pressure in emergency stops. Using the same concept and magnetic fluid as GM's Active Handling, an available Active Damper System (part of the Sport Package) instantaneously shifts from tightly damped for aggressive driving to comfortably soft for normal cruising. This enables MDX to outperform X5 and Cayenne in performance handling and Lexus RX330 in ride, according to Vehicle Dynamics Engineer Jason Widener.
anyone else notice that it has struts up front? Is this a new light truck platform (different from the current Pilot/Oddy/Ridgeline)?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
yeah, but there's a difference between a mid-$30's entry-premium SUV and a supposed more upscale $40-50k midsize premium SUV...Acura/Honda's wheel selection department has let us down once again, which unfortunately is not surprising at all.
Acura/Honda's wheel selection department has let YOU down once again. Your preference doesn't reflect the tastes of others, which "unfortunately is not surprising at all".

Anyways, I believe the sport package, along with the adjustable dampers, comes with different wheels (can anyone confirm?).

And to answer my previous question, the interior wood trim is indeed wood per Acura's website. The only "simulated-wood" trim is on the optional wood steering wheel, that is a dealer installed accessory.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
What do you want Acura/Honda to put? That would be funny if they put the chrome spinner rims.
Acura/Honda has ALWAYS been conservative with their rims in respect to both size and design.

The rims shown in the pics are very attractive, but a little too subtle. 19" rims with a pinch more boldness would probably complement the exterior very well.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Acura/Honda's wheel selection department has let YOU down once again. Your preference doesn't reflect the tastes of others, which "unfortunately is not surprising at all".
What the hell is wrong with you? Fanboi insecurities acting up again?

Please go back and read through all the threads on these forums and count how many people have criticized honda/acura concerning their rim selection. There are many that feel Acura/Honda is very conservative with their rim selection.

When I say us, i am speaking for the MANY of us that share the same opinion. You can go ahead and try to disect my posts any which way you want, but that just further demonstrates how uncomfortable you are when anyone criticizese Honda/Acura.

the fact remains that Honda has frequently let many of US down with their rim selection.

And thanks for pointing out the obvious: my opinion may not reflect the tastes of others, but it does reflect the taste of me as well as a lot of other people.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
looks pretty badass from the rear
Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
anyone else notice that it has struts up front? Is this a new light truck platform (different from the current Pilot/Oddy/Ridgeline)?
It is indeed a new light truck platform.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 Acura MDX - Previews - - BY STEVE SILER, August 2006 - - Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/

The first driving impression we gained at Acura’s press launch of its brand-new 2007 MDX in western Pennsylvania wasn’t on the road. It was on a track. And so confident was Acura in the dynamic talents of its new 7-passenger crossover ute, it brought along a trio of competitors, including the Porsche Cayenne V-6, the BMW X5 4.4i and the Volvo XC90 V-8.

How did it do? Beautifully, honestly, trouncing the Volvo, out-gunning the fat Cayenne and nearly matching the X5 in the fun-to-drive arena. Most telling was its behavior in transitory moves under full throttle. That’s when Acura’s sophisticated, full-time Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system—which varies torque distribution not only from front to rear, but from one rear wheel to the other, depending on traction conditions—showed off its talents most clearly. With the MDX’s optional active dampers calming body motions, it felt as if the hand of God was cupped on the rear bumper, scooting the car through every curve. There was never any sort of compromise of stability or traction. Just confident, high-speed, high-thrill curve carving. Brilliant.

2007 Acura MDX Smooth New Motor
Of course, it wasn’t actually the hand of God per se, but a great new 3.7-liter V6 engine providing the motivation. With 300 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque, the new powerplant is up 47 hp and 25 lb-ft from last year’s 3.5-liter V-6. Acceleration is smooth and quiet up to 4500 rpm, at which point the VTEC system frees up some air space and allows a more sporty intake sound to come through. One surprise involves the automatic transmission, which has only five forward speeds, in a segment where six is becoming the norm. Thankfully, however, manual shift controls help drivers so inclined to keep the engine in the sweet spot during spirited driving or towing. Speaking of towing, the MDX’ stability control has a specific setting for trailering.

2007 Acura MDX Style and Substance
The edgy front-end styling of the new MDX represents a surprisingly bold departure for typically conservative Acura, but the simple shapes of the body effectively mask its significant increases in size compared with the 2006 model. 18-inch wheels are standard.

The interior of the MDX is styled in the same techno-classy vein as the RL, with a cascading center stack flanked by swaths of “wood” trim. There are plenty of high-zoot features available, from surround sound DVD audio to Navigation (with real-time traffic reporting) to rear cameras and more. The front buckets are comfortable and supportive, but perhaps more interesting is the rear seat, which provides outboard rear occupants with bucket-style seat shapes joined by a narrow center section for the occasional extra passenger. The third row, not surprisingly, is a place for pre-teen kids, or very short adults.

With SUV fatigue setting in, we didn’t know whether or not to look forward to a new MDX—or any new SUV, crossover or otherwise. Happily, in this case anyway, it appears that this new vehicle is something even ardent car-lovers like us could enjoy.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Posted on page 10 Gav
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=mrdeeno]When I say us, i am speaking for the MANY of us that share the same opinion. You can go ahead and try to disect my posts any which way you want, but that just further demonstrates how uncomfortable you are when anyone criticizese Honda/Acura.

the fact remains that Honda has frequently let many of US down with their rim selection.QUOTE]

i'd have to agree with the above.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

What the hell is wrong with you? Fanboi insecurities acting up again?

Please go back and read through all the threads on these forums and count how many people have criticized honda/acura concerning their rim selection. There are many that feel Acura/Honda is very conservative with their rim selection.

When I say us, i am speaking for the MANY of us that share the same opinion. You can go ahead and try to disect my posts any which way you want, but that just further demonstrates how uncomfortable you are when anyone criticizese Honda/Acura.

the fact remains that Honda has frequently let many of US down with their rim selection.

And thanks for pointing out the obvious: my opinion may not reflect the tastes of others, but it does reflect the taste of me as well as a lot of other people.
Insecurities? I'm not the one that bashes Honda/Acura in every single thread - its getting old, give it a rest - I'm not the only one who mentions this as other members have brought it up to. As I've said before, they're no perfect company, but in every single thread you come up with an overly dramatic negative statement that reflects YOUR opinion.

Of course some individuals don't like the rim selection, but then again, many do. Some don't like the TSX with a 4cyl, some do. Cut the dramatic bullshit ("once again Acura has let me down again ) - state your opinion and move along.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phile
Posted on page 10 Gav

Sorry.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Insecurities? I'm not the one that bashes Honda/Acura in every single thread - its getting old, give it a rest - I'm not the only one who mentions this as other members have brought it up to. As I've said before, they're no perfect company, but in every single thread you come up with an overly dramatic negative statement that reflects YOUR opinion.

Of course some individuals don't like the rim selection, but then again, many do. Some don't like the TSX with a 4cyl, some do. Cut the dramatic bullshit ("once again Acura has let me down again ) - state your opinion and move along.
This is going off topic, but CLEARLY shows where YOUR insecurities lie.

I stated my opinion...that Acura has let US, as in many people, more than just me, down with their rim selection...and then I moved on. it was YOU who jumped on my TRUE assertion that MANY people feel that Acura's rim selection is poor.

As much as I think the rims are nice, they are very conservative and that is my opinion as well as many other people's. it is YOU who is adding "dramatic" bullshit because YOU cannot let it go someone has a negative opinion concerning honda/acura's rim selection. YOU have to jump on anyone who makes ANY criticism of Honda/Acura, especially me. You didn't jump on Gav when he expressed his opinion that he didn't like the rims. Yet you jump on me when I agree and expressed the opinion that many people have the same opinion.

You don't see me jumping on people who say they like the MDX rims, do you? I allow THEM to express their opinions without saying "YOU'RE A FANBOI!!!! WHY YOU ALWAYS TALKING UP HONDA, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" yet, when I express any negative opinion concerning anything Honda/Acura, you JUMP all over it and call it "bashing" and that you're getting sick of it. the problem is YOU because you consider ANY criticism as bashing.

PLEEEEAAAASSEE grow the fuk up already dude...whenever I express my personal opinion, even when MANY people share the same opinion and can reasonably support it, even if it's only a MODERATELY tame criticism, such as "Honda/Acura makes poor rim choices", you take it as someone "bashing" Honda/Acura and you take it SSSSOOOO personally like it's an attack on your manlihood or something. The fact that you take ANY criticism of Honda/Acura PERSONALLY, demonstrates your insecurities.

Do me a favor, go back through ALL the threads and read ALL the posts since the inception of this site. Then send private messages to everyone who said anything negative about Honda/Acura that they should stop "bashing". Then go committ suicide or something, because your fragile ego won't be able to take all that negative criticism.

grown-ups >> vishnus11

Last edited by mrdeeno; 09-06-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh, and Vish, one last thought...

there's probably a lot of other forums around, where people can blow smoke up each other's asses about how GREAT Honda/Acura is, and anyone who says anything negative about Honda/Acura, even if it's true, or even if it's just an opinion, gets a warning for the first offense and then banned on the 2nd offence...for example:

Poster: My CL's tranny died, Honda's giving me a hard time about it!

Moderator: WARNING!

Poster: But it's true, my tranny just died and Honda refuses to fix it!

Moderator: BANNED!
or

Poster: I should have gotten silver, my black TL is so hard to clean.

Moderator: WARNING!

Poster: But I have to spend so much time cleaning my TL, it looks dirty so fast!

Moderator: BANNED!

And if one like that doesn't exist, you should think about starting one...you can then have your very own one-sided fanboi club...it's right up your alley!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Is the wood in the MDX and RL genuine? I ask because the above article posted by Gav had the word wood in parenthesis.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I don't think the rims are that bad. They are conservative, but that's always been Acura's nature. Plus, the optional rims are available for people who want something a little more stylish.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
You guys should see the wheels on the 06 TSX.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Gotta be honest... not a big fan of the rims.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by titan
Is the wood in the MDX and RL genuine? I ask because the above article posted by Gav had the word wood in parenthesis.
MDX - fake wood
RL - real wood, except for the optional wood steering wheel, that is fake (no idea why, it's costs like $559!)

Over at TOV they basically said the MDX had a budget cap...so some items were sacrificed for the car to have other items. To me that's fine, except make those sacrifices where people won't notice. The comment about the fake wood being shiny by TCC tells me they noticed it right away. I'll have to wait until the car show to see how it really looks.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You asshat...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by titan
Gotta be honest... not a big fan of the rims.
Originally Posted by dom

I'M SO SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR ACURA BASHING!!!

Please don't hurt my feelings anymore...

Last edited by mrdeeno; 09-06-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Bashing is a nessesary part of this forum. As long as its constructive which I think for the most part deeno and others are.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'M SO SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR ACURA BASHING!!!

Please don't hurt my feelings anymore...
LOL
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is going off topic, but CLEARLY shows where YOUR insecurities lie.

I stated my opinion...that Acura has let US, as in many people, more than just me, down with their rim selection...and then I moved on. it was YOU who jumped on my TRUE assertion that MANY people feel that Acura's rim selection is poor.

As much as I think the rims are nice, they are very conservative and that is my opinion as well as many other people's. it is YOU who is adding "dramatic" bullshit because YOU cannot let it go someone has a negative opinion concerning honda/acura's rim selection. YOU have to jump on anyone who makes ANY criticism of Honda/Acura, especially me. You didn't jump on Gav when he expressed his opinion that he didn't like the rims. Yet you jump on me when I agree and expressed the opinion that many people have the same opinion.

You don't see me jumping on people who say they like the MDX rims, do you? I allow THEM to express their opinions without saying "YOU'RE A FANBOI!!!! WHY YOU ALWAYS TALKING UP HONDA, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" yet, when I express any negative opinion concerning anything Honda/Acura, you JUMP all over it and call it "bashing" and that you're getting sick of it. the problem is YOU because you consider ANY criticism as bashing.

PLEEEEAAAASSEE grow the fuk up already dude...whenever I express my personal opinion, even when MANY people share the same opinion and can reasonably support it, even if it's only a MODERATELY tame criticism, such as "Honda/Acura makes poor rim choices", you take it as someone "bashing" Honda/Acura and you take it SSSSOOOO personally like it's an attack on your manlihood or something. The fact that you take ANY criticism of Honda/Acura PERSONALLY, demonstrates your insecurities.

Do me a favor, go back through ALL the threads and read ALL the posts since the inception of this site. Then send private messages to everyone who said anything negative about Honda/Acura that they should stop "bashing". Then go committ suicide or something, because your fragile ego won't be able to take all that negative criticism.

grown-ups >> vishnus11
Whoa man - you need to find better things to do with your time. You mention me not critisizing Gav - why the heck should I? Man stated HIS opinion and moved on. So have others. You on the other hand, felt the need to dramatize the whole thing with "Acura's let us down, unsurprisingly". Like I said, state YOUR opinion and move on, and cut the dramatic bullshit while your at it.

Constructive criticism isn't bashing. Learn from other members' posts here. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again - Acura has its faults. The transmission issue sucks/sucked donkey balls - FACT. The TL is approaching/has approached the limits of its FWD architecture - FACT. But don't try to label your opinions on "rim selection" as fact.

Anyways, this thread regards the MDX so lets' stay on topic. If you've got anything further to add deeno, then you can PM me.

P.S. If (according to you) deeno, I think Acura does such a fine job of "rim selection" then why the heck did I bother to change my OEM rims for something better? Again, preference is preference, opinion is opinion - state yours and MOVE ON.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

MDX - fake wood
RL - real wood, except for the optional wood steering wheel, that is fake (no idea why, it's costs like $559!)

Over at TOV they basically said the MDX had a budget cap...so some items were sacrificed for the car to have other items. To me that's fine, except make those sacrifices where people won't notice. The comment about the fake wood being shiny by TCC tells me they noticed it right away. I'll have to wait until the car show to see how it really looks.
That's odd. Acura's website says "wood" but says "simulated wood" when referring to the optional wood steering wheel. Hence, I'd assumed that the interior of the MDX did indeed use real wood. Guess not.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Race Director

When is the exact date the new MDX will be in Acura showrooms? I want to see one in person and see what all the hype is.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Whoa man - you need to find better things to do with your time. You mention me not critisizing Gav - why the heck should I? Man stated HIS opinion and moved on. So have others. You on the other hand, felt the need to dramatize the whole thing with "Acura's let us down, unsurprisingly". Like I said, state YOUR opinion and move on, and cut the dramatic bullshit while your at it.

Constructive criticism isn't bashing. Learn from other members' posts here. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again - Acura has its faults. The transmission issue sucks/sucked donkey balls - FACT. The TL is approaching/has approached the limits of its FWD architecture - FACT. But don't try to label your opinions on "rim selection" as fact.

Anyways, this thread regards the MDX so lets' stay on topic. If you've got anything further to add deeno, then you can PM me.

P.S. If (according to you) deeno, I think Acura does such a fine job of "rim selection" then why the heck did I bother to change my OEM rims for something better? Again, preference is preference, opinion is opinion - state yours and MOVE ON.

Fanboi, WHY do you take such personal offense to what I post about Acura/Honda whether it be opinions, facts, or even lies?

1) Do my opinions really matter to you that much? You are a very EMOTIONAL little fanboi.

2) If you are so "sick and tired" of all the "bashing", then you are well within your rights to GO AWAY.

3) Unless your first name is "Acura" and your last name is "Honda", why do you give such a fuk? Newsflash, buddy...no one is attacking you because no one cares about you. But with any negative criticism of Honda/Acura, you react like someone is raping your mom or something.

>> vishnus11
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ok, thats enough guys. Any further posts on the matter will be deleted. Work it out through PM or drop it.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

That's odd. Acura's website says "wood" but says "simulated wood" when referring to the optional wood steering wheel. Hence, I'd assumed that the interior of the MDX did indeed use real wood. Guess not.
You're right it does say "wood" instead of "simulated" or "wood grain trim" for the MDX's interior on the website. But I'm pretty sure it's a mistake, in the press release for the MDX it specifically says simulated Koa wood-grained trim.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

You're right it does say "wood" instead of "simulated" or "wood grain trim" for the MDX's interior on the website. But I'm pretty sure it's a mistake, in the press release for the MDX it specifically says simulated Koa wood-grained trim.
You'll also notice that is says metal/metallic material used on the console, instead of metallic-look material.

^Poorly stated, but you get my point. From what I read on their website, I gathered that the wood was real and that the metal used in parts of the waterfall dash was also real.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

You'll also notice that is says metal/metallic material used on the console, instead of metallic-look material.

^Poorly stated, but you get my point. From what I read on their website, I gathered that the wood was real and that the metal used in parts of the waterfall dash was also real.
The metal part gets a little confusing. In the MDX equipped with sport package, it's real metal on the baseplate of the shifter and on the faceplate of the stereo/center stack. So depending on where you read that it says metal instead of metallic-look, it may be true.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey dont get my involved in this...LOL
Old 09-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I hate seeing people's posts deleted (for the record I was not the one that deleted them, I never deleted anyone's post ever). All you guys have to do is keep away from personal attacks. So what if we dont agree? If we all agreed about things there would be a need to talk, write, communicate.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
I hate seeing people's posts deleted (for the record I was not the one that deleted them, I never deleted anyone's post ever). All you guys have to do is keep away from personal attacks. So what if we dont agree? If we all agreed about things there would be a need to talk, write, communicate.

Sure, BUT they were so far off topic is was taking away from the MDX discussion. Why let two people's battle interfere with what everyone else comes to a thread to discuss.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Do you guys see this bigger engine filtering down into the RL as a MMC along the lines of what happened to the TL this year with the Type-S model?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Sure, BUT they were so far off topic is was taking away from the MDX discussion. Why let two people's battle interfere with what everyone else comes to a thread to discuss.
No doubt. That was part of my point. I hate seeing people's posts being deleted because they do the above.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by jwong77
Do you guys see this bigger engine filtering down into the RL as a MMC along the lines of what happened to the TL this year with the Type-S model?
I am certain we will see this engine shared with the RL. And I am guessing it will not get the RL Type S denotation. It will probably still be called the RL.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

new mdx looks hot inside and out. the new x5 has nothing on this besides an optional v8 and the little propeller on the hood. the wheels are ok and i could give a crap if the wood is fake.

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News