Acura: MDX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
It's a look that will age well folks. The MDX and RDX with the plenum will not dissappoint!
Like you said, its subjective. But I seriously doubt this grille will last into the next re-design.

Although I think the grille will look more at home on the MDX and RDX.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Like you said, its subjective. But I seriously doubt this grille will last into the next re-design.

Although I think the grille will look more at home on the MDX and RDX.
I truly think it's too early to write the obituary for the new grill design. How well it helps uniquely define the Acura brand will determine if it stays. Not how pretty it is. Of course, I agree if it hurt sales that would cut it's life short, but I can't imagine it would have the power to do that. If Audi's grill didn't hurt sales, then nothing will.

In the end, people might love or hate the design of a particular grill, fender flair, tail light design, etc. But I doubt many people will use that as the key reason to buy (or not buy) a car in this category. I honestly believe we still buy cars in this category primarily for practical purposes. Value and functionality will still be the key factor that drives sales. This isn't a F450 or Gallardo crowd. Those are cars you "wear" on weekends to impress others. Acura's, Audi's, etc, are used to schlep to work just like a Toyota Camary. The only difference is they are a step (or two) up from those every-man brands and need to be identifyable as such, hence the need for an iconic face. In the end, the striking nature of a grill usually is a sign that it's a good one.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Only time will tell....How did that prop grille work out for Subaru a couple years back?

I know I can say with a great level of certainty I'd never consider a TL solely because of that grille. The TSX, maybe.

But on a SUV, why not?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been over a year now and people are STILL bringing up the power plenum...seriously, it's now REALLY getting old. It's subjective - not factual!

Here's what I've found: the car buffs or "enthusiasts" seem to come into the showroom just to stare and comment and MAYBE if they like everything else about the vehicle, they'll dig a little deeper.
The everyday Joe? Fuckin' LOVE the new TL and TSX. My buddies that don't know shit about the car? All compliments! It's a look that will age well folks. The MDX and RDX with the plenum will not dissappoint!
and here's what i found: the everday joes that i know hate the new TL, RL, and TSX.

it's all subjective - not factual!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Werd. My mom just said to me yesterday, "You know what car is ugly? The new TL." She's not exactly a car fanatic and she still thinks it's ugly.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's been over a year now and people are STILL bringing up the power plenum...seriously, it's now REALLY getting old. It's subjective - not factual!

Here's what I've found: the car buffs or "enthusiasts" seem to come into the showroom just to stare and comment and MAYBE if they like everything else about the vehicle, they'll dig a little deeper.
The everyday Joe? Fuckin' LOVE the new TL and TSX. My buddies that don't know shit about the car? All compliments! It's a look that will age well folks. The MDX and RDX with the plenum will not dissappoint!
I wonder why everyone still brings up the Acura Beak after all this time.....?

Could it be that it's an abortion of a design

People still talk about how horribly ugly the Pontiac Aztek was.......

Beauty is never forget......and neither is ugly.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
and here's what i found: the everday joes that i know hate the new TL, RL, and TSX.

it's all subjective - not factual!
Here's what I found: those who hates the design tends to talk the most about it.

I don't have a issue with the grill when looking at it in person. I love the look of the car.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
^ Werd. My mom just said to me yesterday, "You know what car is ugly? The new TL." She's not exactly a car fanatic and she still thinks it's ugly.
And funnily, my wife, who doesn't care very much for cars, think that the car is quite handsome and the grille really helps it.

Could we talk about something else? Like what how much clam should there be in a regular cup of clam chowder?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by dom
Only time will tell....How did that prop grille work out for Subaru a couple years back?
Agreed. But I don't know if distinctive looks work as well when you're talking about bottom tier brands (no offense to Subaru lovers, I've owned one in the past and it was a good car). I mean, standing out might not be something you want when your driving a Toyota Corolla. Usually would rather blend in I think

The more expensive the brand gets, the more distinctive and recognizable the owner probably wants it to be. Can we agree on that? Whether that distinction is esthetically pleasing is a different issue. Is the Bugatti butt hole front good looking? Or how about the Rolls Royce grill? The inside out radiator looks like it got it's inspiration from an episode of Junkyard Wars.

I don't particularly like this shield either, but I'm trying to be open minded because I've missed the mark badly in the past and had to eat my words. Fact is, there are LOTS of ugly front faces on car brands that have done quite well.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
And funnily, my wife, who doesn't care very much for cars, think that the car is quite handsome and the grille really helps it.

Could we talk about something else? Like what how much clam should there be in a regular cup of clam chowder?
Somebody has to buy the ugly
There were plenty of people who purchased Azteks too.

...just because people buy them or like them does not make the ugly beautiful.

Ugly is ugly......and the Beak is ugly.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey

I don't particularly like this shield either, but I'm trying to be open minded because I've missed the mark badly in the past and had to eat my words. Fact is, there are LOTS of ugly front faces on car brands that have done quite well.
I agree that some "odd" looking front-faced vehicles did/do manage to sell quite well. However, this TL power plenum thingy doesn't quite belong to that group. It is way beyond ugly.

Many Acura authorized dealerships are now offering custom paint job to "pleasant out" the Acura signature grille on the new TL's. Remember that these are not aftermarket joints. They are factory dealerships authorized by Acura to sell OEM Acura vehicles. How often does anyone hear that factory authorized dealerships are offering a custom option to 'prettify' the OEM front look of brand new cars ?

Keep in mind that these dealerships are not doing it for fun. They are running a business. Their only purpose is to make more sales and make more money, and they have figured out a way to modify the new TL such that more buyers will find the TL front end less offensive.

Hopefully Acura will find this unconventional way of dealership feedback on the new TL styling extremely helpful in designing future Acura vehicles.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Not only do I not like the phlegm grille, I hate that they're not using chrome grilles either. And I know chrome grilles aren't really chrome either, their chrome painted plastic. But it's still better than the whatever metal they're trying to emulate on the current Acura grilles.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The grille is ugly.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

If you ever need to open your beer bottle I guess you'll need to get the MDX.

SO glad I don't sell those cars anymore!!!

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Beautiful!!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by CL6
If you ever need to open your beer bottle I guess you'll need to get the MDX.

SO glad I don't sell those cars anymore!!!
A beer bottle that size is hard to come by.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Details from TOV

TORRANCE, Calif. – The award-winning Acura MDX luxury SUV sets even higher standards in 2010 for styling, performance, technology and safety. For 2010, the MDX features a fresh new exterior look, revised powertrain that includes a new 6-speed automatic, chassis refinements, more comfort, and improved technology along with the introduction of an all-new Advance Package— making the class leader even better.

"Already considered by many as the benchmark in its class, the new 2010 MDX significantly raises the bar yet again,"
said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "Fresh looks, an all-new 6-speed transmission and lots of new customer relevant technology make the MDX an even smarter SUV choice than ever."

Visually, the 7-passenger 2010 MDX receives more aggressive styling in the form of new front and rear bodywork, a bold new front grille and numerous new trim enhancements. Under the hood, the MDX receives a more refined 3.7L V-6 engine that teams with an all-new 6-speed automatic transmission for better performance and improved fuel efficiency. Inside, the MDX receives a host of new features and technologies that make it even more luxurious.

Ride and handling have been enhanced as a result of a revised power steering system, stiffer rear trailing arm mounting, body rigidity improvements and reduced overall NVH. Thanks to Acura’s exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system, the MDX’s handling provides confident on- and off-road handling in addition to excellent foul weather performance.

To expand the dynamic capabilities for 2010 MDX, a new Advance package, with a revised Active Damper System and larger 19-inch wheels and tires, further enhances handling while retaining the comfortable, quiet and controlled ride quality expected of a luxury vehicle.

The 2010 MDX exterior gets a fresh new look as a result of Acura’s signature design front grille, a new front fascia, revised hood, new side sills, a new rear fascia matched with rolled edge polished stainless-steel exhaust finishers, revised taillights with brighter LED lights, many new trim pieces and available 19-inch diameter 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels.

Inside, the 2010 MDX benefits from the expanded use of Milano leather, a new thicker sport steering wheel with racing-inspired paddle shifters, new gauges, easier to understand button placement for center stack functions, available ventilated front seats and upgraded interior trim. In addition, a host of new technology is available including AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ and Traffic Rerouting™. Other available features include a new full VGA 8-inch navigation screen, a new rear view camera with three unique view choices, upgraded rear entertainment system, an updated audio system with a dedicated 15 GB hard disk drive (HDD) and USB port connectivity, even more LED lighting— and the list goes on.

In keeping with Acura’s leadership in the application of advanced, customer-relevant features, the 2010 MDX is available with an array of technologies to improve convenience, including an all-new blind spot information system and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and enhance safety, with Acura’s unique Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™).

Powertrain
For 2010 the MDX receives a new 3.7-liter VTEC® V-6. The engine continues Acura’s longstanding mission to provide V-8 level horsepower and torque while retaining the size and fuel efficiency of a V-6. Based on the previous MDX’s powerplant, the newly refined 3.7L V-6 develops 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque to provide immediate throttle response, outstanding low- and mid-range torque and excellent high-rpm power. To widen the powerband while simultaneously improving fuel efficiency, the latest 3.7-liter engine has the patented Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) system applied to the intake valves, revised high-lift camshaft specs during VTEC® operation, a computer controlled dual-stage induction system and an electronic Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system.

Internally, the new 3.7L V-6 makes use of special heavy-duty components including a more rigid cylinder block, high-strength crankshaft, heavy-duty connecting rods, high compression-ratio pistons, cylinder heads with improved cooling, new intake valve springs, a new EGR system, unique long-reach spark plugs, a larger throttle body and other features.

EPA estimated city/highway fuel mileage of 16/21 mpg* (an improvement of 1 mpg city and 1 mpg highway over the 2009 model) and a large 21-gallon fuel capacity mean the MDX is perfect for long drives. Like all 2010 Acura vehicles, the MDX complies with the latest EPA TIER 2 – BIN 5 and CARB LEV II ULEV emissions standards.

The 3.7L V-6 is coupled with a brand-new Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission along with a new multi-clutch torque converter. With comparatively “short” gearing in the first five forward gears, acceleration is enhanced— while fuel efficiency and quiet cruising are optimized with a relaxed Sixth gear ratio. The transmission offers two automatic shift modes, or can be operated manually via racing-inspired steering wheel paddle shifters. Grade Logic Control, Shift Hold Control, Cornering G Shift Control and Hill Start Assist make the new 6-speed the most advanced automatic transmission ever offered by Acura. To support the MDX’s 5,000 pound towing capacity, a special front-mount transmission fluid cooler is employed.

The MDX puts power to the ground through Acura’s acclaimed Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system, an innovative full-time all-wheel-drive system that uses torque vectoring to actively distribute the optimum amount of power not only between the front and rear axles, but also between the left and right rear wheels. With torque vectoring (and by selectively overdriving the outside rear wheel while cornering) the yaw moment of the MDX can be controlled throughout a turn as the SH-AWD® system reduces understeer to greatly enhance handling precision and ultimate cornering ability. Working in conjunction with the MDX’s standard Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control, SH-AWD® provides enhanced power delivery and driver control whether it be on-road or off-road, in dry, rain, snow or ice.

When towing, special Trailer Stability Assist algorithms built into the VSA® logic help stabilize the vehicle after sensing oscillations of the vehicle or trailer. The MDX’s SH-AWD® system is further enhanced with hill logic that automatically adjusts the front/rear torque distribution based on the incline of the hill grades.

Chassis
With an emphasis on top-level handling performance, MDX engineers targeted the world-class dynamics and driving feel of the top European SUV competitors. This led to the development of a long wheelbase platform and a sophisticated suspension system tuned at Germany’s famed Nürburgring race circuit.

The MDX’s 4-wheel fully-independent suspension makes use of MacPherson struts in front teamed with a multi-link rear suspension design that is mounted to a rigid unit body structure with isolated subframes. The front suspension also uses unique hydro-compliance bushings that provide superior ride isolation and chassis vibration control. The rear suspension features aluminum-alloy uprights to reduce unsprung weight for improved response, while special trailing-arm mounting points reduce body squat during acceleration. For 2010, the MDX uses stiffer rear trailing arm mounts, incorporates numerous body rigidity improvements and delivers reduced overall NVH.

As part of the available Advance Package, the Active Damper System gives the 2010 MDX an elevated level of handling precision designed to satisfy the most discriminating drivers— all while maintaining a smooth ride. The MDX’s Active Damper System features a new algorithm which provides two driver-selectable settings—Comfort and Sport—that tailor the suspension dampers for a more comfortable or more sporting ride. For 2010, the Active Dampers have been re-tuned for provide a more refined ride for Comfort mode and a more natural feeling Sport mode.

Using "active" Magneto-Rheological fluid dampers and predictive computer algorithms, the MDX’s Active Damper System can respond in as little as five milliseconds (0.005 sec.) to individually adjust the damping force of the shock absorbers ahead of actual body movements to provide improved transient handling, road isolation and body control.

The Comfort mode allows for a more relaxed driving experience by prioritizing road isolation and reduced passenger fatigue caused by road inputs, while the Sport mode prioritizes handling response and vehicle body control to allow for spirited driving with high levels of precision and vehicle composure.

For 2010, new (lighter) 18-inch diameter 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels are standard with 19-inch diameter 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels available as part of the Advance Package.

For excellent stopping power and control, the MDX employs large 13.0-inch diameter ventilated front brake rotors and 13.2-inch solid rear brake rotors along with anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist.

Interior
For 2010, new attention to detail and added luxury further distinguish the MDX interior. Expanded use of Milano premium leather to the available Technology Package, improved look and feel of interior trim materials, relocated front seat headrests for improved comfort, more detailed leather stitching (such as the Lancia-style stitching on the steering wheel and shift knob), thicker steering wheel grip, increased use of LED interior lighting and revised cockpit controls make it clear that the MDX is focused on the driver— but not at the expense of passenger comfort.

The power driver seat adjusts 10 ways for optimum comfort, and the front passenger seat is 8-way power adjustable. The second-row outboard seats mirror the style and lateral support of the front seats, giving the interior a unique feel that highlights the MDX’s blend of sport and utility. Convenience and cargo features abound, including under-floor storage in the rear cargo area and a standard power-operated rear tailgate. There are multiple configurations of the MDX’s three rows of seating thus enabling a maximum useable cargo volume of 83.5 cubic feet. Additionally, a load flat floor is available when the second and third row seats are folded down.

The MDX offers a formidable list of standard equipment including items such as a leather trimmed interior, power moonroof, power windows, leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel, a Multi-Information Display (MID) that allows access to multiple electronic functions, a tri-zone climate control system with humidity control and Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface. For 2010, now standard are steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, an auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated rear view camera screen and backlit LED instrumentation. Also standard with the MDX is an 8-speaker, 253-watt Acura Premium Sound System that features an AM/FM tuner, in-dash 6-disc CD changer, WMA player, MP3 capability, XM® Radio and an auxiliary jack for connecting personal audio devices.

The available Technology Package adds a range of advanced features designed to offer drivers increased connectivity to the world around them along with added driving enjoyment. In addition to using luxurious full-grain Milano premium leather for the seating surfaces, the Technology Package includes items such as the Maintenance Minder™ system.

The Technology Package’s Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™ system uses a new 8-inch full VGA high-resolution color display positioned high up in the center of the instrument panel where it is close to the driver’s line of sight. A new rearview camera system offers three different rear view angles—normal rear view, wide angle rear view and a tow-friendly top view.

With data now stored on a built-in 60 GB hard disk drive (HDD) media storage device, the navigation system now boots up and operates with impressive speed. The navigation system includes AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with a new Traffic Rerouting™ feature that can display up-to-the-minute traffic information including freeway flow, incident, construction and weather related incidents in 77 major metropolitan areas.

New for 2010 is AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ that includes weather radar image maps. The Technology Package also includes a GPS-linked, solar-sensing tri-zone climate control system that automatically adjusts the temperature and fan speed according to the position of the sun.

A popular aspect of the Technology Package is Acura’s renowned Acura/ELS Surround® premium audio system featuring a 410-watt Digital Sound Processor amplifier, a 10-speaker surround sound array, along with a built-in 15-gigabyte hard disk drive (HDD) media storage system that allows the MDX owner to download and store about 3,500 songs** for later playback. The Acura/ELS Surround® premium audio system offers DVD-Audio, DTS™, CD, AM/FM radio, XM® Radio, Bluetooth® Audio, along with USB port and AUX jack connectivity.

Rich with luxury, comfort, performance and technology upgrades for the 2010 MDX is a new Advance Package that replaces and goes beyond the previously available Sport Package. Building on the items in the Technology Package, the Advance Package adds ventilated front seats with specially contoured seat foam covered by perforated Milano premium leather, a sport steering wheel with unique design racing-inspired paddle shifters on the steering wheel and textured metallic interior accents.

The Advance Package also includes the Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), blind spot information system (BSI) and the Active Damper System. In addition, the Advance Package delivers 19x8-inch 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels and auto-leveling HID front headlights.

An available Entertainment Package includes a new Rear Entertainment System (RES) complete with a DVD player, power folding 9-inch full VGA color screen (with 400-percent improved resolution), dual wireless headphones, a wireless illuminated remote control and 115-volt plug located in the center console.

Safety
In keeping with Acura’s "Safety Through Innovation" initiative, the 2010 MDX provides state-of-the-art safety for its passengers, including the application of Acura’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure.

ACE™ employs a network of front frame structures that work to absorb and more evenly distributes collision forces throughout the vehicle and also helps maintain the integrity of the passenger cabin in the event of a severe frontal collision. A special frame member located below the MDX’s front bumper is designed to engage the front bumper of a lower vehicle, allowing the bumper systems of both vehicles to attenuate crash energy more efficiently.

Numerous standard "active safety" features that help the MDX driver reduce the risk of collision include Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) along with an anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. An additional active safety feature included in the available Advance Package is the Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™) which helps the driver reduce the likelihood of a collision by alerting the driver to potential collision situations and activating the brakes if the system determines a collision likely is unavoidable. VSA® has been retuned for 2010 to deliver a 10-percent improvement in performance during hard acceleration on slippery surfaces.

Inside the handsomely appointed MDX interior, occupants will find advanced safety features including the latest generation of dual-stage, multiple-threshold airbags for the driver and front passenger.

There are also knee bolsters, front seatbelts with an automatic tensioning system with integrated load limiters, side airbags for the driver and front passenger along with side curtain airbags (with a rollover sensor) for all outboard occupants. Active front head restraints help reduce the likelihood of neck injury for front seat passengers and LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) mounting systems in the second row seating allow quick and secure installation of child seats.

The 2010 MDX is engineered to surpass the existing FMVSS 216 government roof crush test standard of 1.5 times the curb weight of the vehicle. However, the MDX is so well engineered that it is anticipated to already meet the upcoming roof crush standard of 3.0 times curb weight. Efficient use of high-strength steel creates a body structure with the stiffness to allow such results while still permitting the use a large glass moonroof.

Developed by Acura designers and engineers in California and Ohio, and tested in the company’s advanced safety laboratories in Raymond, Ohio, the MDX is assembled in Alliston, Ontario, Canada.

Like all 2009 Acura models, the 2010 MDX is covered by a comprehensive 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty and a 6-year/70,000 powertrain limited warranty. Additional ownership benefits include Acura Total Luxury Care® (TLC®), which provides free 24-hour roadside assistance, concierge service and trip routing.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

I like the old grille better, but this one isn't terrible. The TL and RL still have the worst iterations of it. Also not crazy about the steering wheel or the chrome surround above the fog lights. The openings just look too big to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM

well, i think the theory that the grille looks better on SUVs is correct.

however, the other openings above the foglights are

but i'm still in awe of the car's interior and i've always loved the rear.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Go Big Blue!

Great SUV. I own one and love it. Just think the shifting is a little harsh and the road noise is a bit much. Looks like the new tighter gearing and a 6th OD gear will help (hopefully). No mention about cabin insulation improvements. Either way the MDX is the car to beat in it's segment after having test drove everything before buying mine.

As far as exterior looks; Like the continuation of black rough plastic on back bumper instead of the partial piece in last model. Also, finally realized they needed a chrome strip between the two reflectors on the bumper. That's subtle but good they added it. Front end; Either front grill worked for me. Doesn't matter, but the shield now brings it inline with the other models. That's a good thing
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice updates but agree that those 2 openings above the fogs look out of place
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^^ agree. Doesn't add anything to the look and only makes it more busy. Looks like those openings are another design signature they plan to thread through the line. Not that bad if you leave the chrome trim plate out. Nothing a trip to the body shop can't fix I suppose. Paint it body color and problem mostly goes away
Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM

i'm assuming those are the stock wheels and not the "sport" ones?

if so, they do look better, imo, than the original stocks.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Pro

Does anyone notice that the plenum is smaller on the MDX than on the TL? Was Acura purposely trying to make the TL the worst looking car in the fleet?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM

i did notice that it doesn't extend onto the hood like the TL.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Pro

^^^
The grille does not extend onto the hood with the TSX either. Such a simple change makes the plenum quite a bit more tolerable. Let's see when Acura figures this out with the TL.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Go Big Blue!

With the TSX they were forced to work with the sheet metal of the Euro Accord. Since the TSX came out the shield seemed to just keep getting more obnoxious with each new try. I agree with others it's nice to see they reigned it in for the MDX. I'd like to think its an indication of some new thinking, but the RDX just got it's MMC and the grill looks more like the TL then the TSX. So what does that tell us. Mixed signals at best.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Only the TL and ZDX have been designed around the new grille. The RL, MDX, TSX, and RDX had the plenum added to an existing design. I'd wager that all future Acuras from now on will have the plenum extending on to the hood as in the TL and ZDX.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Go Big Blue!

You could be right, but lets remember that Acura actually changed the sheet metal on the RL and RDX MMC to accomodate the larger grill extending above the natural hood line. They weren't taking the easy way out. If that's not intentional, I don't know what is. However, they could have done it for the MDX also but chose not to. That's the thing that made me go hmmmmm.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JD23
^^^
The grille does not extend onto the hood with the TSX either. Such a simple change makes the plenum quite a bit more tolerable. Let's see when Acura figures this out with the TL.
Agreed. It is much more tolerable this way. It just looks atrocious on the TL. Hopefully they will figure this out and maybe revise it later on.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by JD23
^^^
No big deal with the TL-type grille. Dealerships just have to paint them over during prep work, just like for the current TL.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Grille lining up with headlights FTW. I think it looks fine. Wouldn't stop me from buying one. The MDX is the only Acura I'd consider buying at this point.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Race Director

i saw the refreshed MDX in the Acura style magazine that i got in the mail today. ehh it's ok, but i don't like the 2 chrome holes they put in the front bumper.

i like the older grille too, which why oh why didn't honda choose the 07-09 mdx grille to be their signature grille on all their acura vehicles???
Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
^^ I agree 100%
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
yeah the 2 vents a la new TL does not look good on the MDX. and I loved the old grille.

I think they butchered this one with the refresh.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Safety Car

Question 2014 Spied

While in Death Valley this week, one of our guys caught this mystery SUV out testing in the not-quite-hot-weather of the early spring desert. Temps were in the mid-90s, a far cry from the extreme heat-testing that happens in the 120+ degree summers. And yes, I am talking about the weather because, to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced of what we have here.

Our best collective guess is that this is the 2014 Acura MDX. The general shape of the grille-- now without that massive chrome shield-- as well as that of the double-hump dash say Acura and in terms of timing, the MDX is the next crossover we're expecting to see.

Some things that give us pause: Clunky foglights/ ducts and the toothed grille.

Stop whatever you're doing at work/school and help figure this out instead. Full res image after the jump for those of you who want to get a closer look.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
now without that massive chrome shield

Curious that there appears to be no turn signals on the mirrors though.

Last edited by F23A4; 04-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
2G TLX-S

What's that orange thingy located at where the high beam headlight is ?

LED light bar ?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
What's that orange thingy located at where the high beam headlight is ?

LED light bar ?
Acura doesn't usually include official parts on a vehicle that are used for safety functions during testing. The amber reflectors are probably there to allow the vehicle to be used on the public roads for test purposes. Same thing goes for the mirrors. Most test vehicles contain "shells" from the company's parts bin until the specific parts customized for that vehicle are fitted during final production.

Interesting to see how the new MDX will look.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1063154
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Post MotorAuthority

Acura has started testing its next-generation MDX on public roads and we managed to scoop a prototype not far from the Nürburgring race track in Germany.

It was spotted testing alongside a BMW X5, 1 of its main competitors, although we hope the new MDX is significantly better as the X5 is soon to be replaced by a new and improved model as well.

The new MDX is expected to land in showrooms in late 2013 or early the following year, as a 2014 model.

It will bring with it a vast array of new technologies and what appears to be a more streamlined shape. Though camouflaged, it appears the MDX will be sharing a number of styling cues previewed by the recent 2013 RLX Concept.

Styling cues won’t be the only thing shared between the 2013 RLX and this new 2014 MDX, however, as both vehicles should share a powertrain lineup. This means the 2014 MDX may offer two powertrain options, a base version powered by a regular V-6 and a new hybrid model featuring the Acura Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system destined for the next-generation NSX supercar.

The regular model will feature a direct-injected 3.5-liter V-6 matched to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. Output of this model should eclipse the 300 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque found in the current model.

The hybrid model, if built, will feature the same V-6 engine matched to an electric motor and dual-clutch transmission, and power a single axle. The alternate axle will be powered by another 2 electric motors that work independently. The setup would allow multiple driving modes, including electric- or gas-only modes, plus a hybrid mode calling on both electric and gas power and offering all-wheel drive capability.

Stay tuned for more details as development of the 2014 Acura MDX progresses.

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News