Acura: ILX News

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Ok then, it seems you are dancing around the questions.
Its what I do

Do you have an answer?....or are you as dumbfounded as I am as to why they are building this car for which there appears to be a very small market for it in the U.S.?
I think I know exactly what they were thinking why they green lit this. Whether they were right is where I'm dumbfounded.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Its what I do

I think I know exactly what they were thinking why they green lit this. Whether they were right is where I'm dumbfounded.
..and why do you think they greenlit this vehicle...besides the Canada business model?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
..and why do you think they greenlit this vehicle...besides the Canada business model?
- Because they feel Gen Y wants to spend less on their luxury.
- Because Gen Y don't care about driving, only care if they can hook up their ipod.

Most of this stuff was covered in the press release from Detroit. They think people want entry level luxury, their studies showed that the entry level lux market was growing.

They rummaged through the parts bin, bent some steel and viola, ILX! It didn't cost them much to bring to market.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Honda thought that CAFE standards were going drastically change the industry......so the ILX is a result of this thinking.

...that's my best guess.
That can't be it. The ILX, for its body and engine size, doesn't have very good fuel economy #s. They're pretty much the same as the TSX

Last edited by AZuser; 02-15-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
- Because they feel Gen Y wants to spend less on their luxury.
- Because Gen Y don't care about driving, only care if they can hook up their ipod.

Most of this stuff was covered in the press release from Detroit. They think people want entry level luxury, their studies showed that the entry level lux market was growing.

They rummaged through the parts bin, bent some steel and viola, ILX! It didn't cost them much to bring to market.
Interesting.

Honda, luxury costs $$$. There is no such thing as cheap luxury.
It's either luxury or it isn't.

....so I guess you are not selling luxury with the ILX...hence why Acura has backed away from being tier 1. Makes sense now....but at least be honest with the Acura brand. Don't sell nonsense like "people don't want to pay for luxury."

Honda, if you believe peeps are into tech gadgets over driving experience, then offer up something that nobody else has, or at least be competitive.
Kia Optima offers heated rear seats, and air conditioned front seats, and they have a M$ based entertainment system. Auto headlamps even.

Honda if this is your reasons for building this vehicle, then you vehicle does not even meet your criteria.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting.

Honda, luxury costs $$$. There is no such thing as cheap luxury.
It's either luxury or it isn't.

....so I guess you are not selling luxury with the ILX...hence why Acura has backed away from being tier 1. Makes sense now....but at least be honest with the Acura brand. Don't sell nonsense like "people don't want to pay for luxury."

Honda, if you believe peeps are into tech gadgets over driving experience, then offer up something that nobody else has, or at least be competitive.
Kia Optima offers heated rear seats, and air conditioned front seats, and they have a M$ based entertainment system. Auto headlamps even.

Honda if this is your reasons for building this vehicle, then you vehicle does not even meet your criteria.
What is luxury? It is a niche Acura is willing to attack. Recent college grads would love to get their hands on a luxury brand such as a BMW, Lexus, Audi but it is generally unrealistic. Acura is willing to fill that niche in which you can purchase a luxury brand at a affordable price. The ILX is going to sell great and you can question their "brand" all you want but with the release of the NSX, Acura is headed in the right direction. Incorporating a super car like a NSX into the line-up can easily neutralize the ILX's coming out party as a "negative hit" to the brand. You must be immune to the financial collapse that came about a few years ago lol

Last edited by Aruca Xst; 02-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Let's be honest, a Kia Optima is by far more luxurious, and offers more in powertrain & options/tech than the ILX.

Who is kidding whom here?

The Acura badge alone brings nothing compared to the BMW badge or the silver star.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Aruca Xst
What is luxury? It is a niche Acura is willing to attack. Recent college grads would love to get their hands on a luxury brand such as a BMW, Lexus, Audi but it is generally unrealistic. Acura is willing to fill that niche in which you can purchase a luxury brand at a affordable price. The ILX is going to sell great and you can question their "brand" all you want but with the release of the NSX, Acura is headed in the right direction. Incorporating a super car like a NSX into the line-up can easily neutralize the ILX's coming out party as a "negative hit" to the brand. You must be immune to the financial collapse a few years ago lol
I think you're missing the point - is Acura a "luxury" brand (e.g. BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus), or is it a "premium" brand (e.g. Buick/Lincoln)? For too long Acura has tried to be all things to all people in both segments and it just hasn't worked. The ILX looks like more of the same.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Luxury is nothing more than a perception. A fully loaded Altima is more luxurious than a base 3 series that costs several thousands more. The point I'm getting at, is that Acura is willing to attack this niche of affordable luxury at the 25,000 price range. Few would doubt the perception of Acura as anything less than a luxury brand outside of the forums.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Instructor

So what is the difference between a premium brand and a luxury brand? I assume the perception?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Luxury is nothing more than a perception. A fully loaded Altima is more luxurious than a base 3 series that costs several thousands more. The point I'm getting at, is that Acura is willing to attack this niche of affordable luxury at the 25,000 price range. Few would doubt the perception of Acura as anything less than a luxury brand outside of the forums.
You just disproved your prior argument.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
So what is the difference between a premium brand and a luxury brand? I assume the perception?
It's a function of: 1) across the line features; 2) across the line models; 3) across the line quality; 4) across the line prices; and 5) brand perception.

Look at the differences in all of those things at the examples I already provided.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The ILX is simply a very entry level luxury or premium car with a somewhat luxury badge on it..along with bulletproof reliability. Nothing less, nothing more.

Will it set the world on fire? No. Will it attract 3 series buyers who can afford a $40k 4-banger? Probably not.

However, for those who have $25-$30k to spend, but don't want a mid-size family sedan, the ILX is a candidate. It's also another choice for those who want something more premium than a compact car from Ford/Honda/Chevy/Hyundai. Obviously, the ILX is not here to steal ALL the sales from the above cars, but at the very least, it offers another option to potential new car buyers.

Whether this will sell or not, we will see in the future. There's no point of debating this right now.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by iforyou
The ILX is simply a very entry level luxury or premium car with a somewhat luxury badge on it..along with bulletproof reliability. Nothing less, nothing more.

Will it set the world on fire? No. Will it attract 3 series buyers who can afford a $40k 4-banger? Probably not.

However, for those who have $25-$30k to spend, but don't want a mid-size family sedan, the ILX is a candidate. It's also another choice for those who want something more premium than a compact car from Ford/Honda/Chevy/Hyundai. Obviously, the ILX is not here to steal ALL the sales from the above cars, but at the very least, it offers another option to potential new car buyers.

Whether this will sell or not, we will see in the future. There's no point of debating this right now.
What is "more premium" about the ILX? Compared to other vehicles in its price range? It brings nothing to the table...not even a badge to covet.

Unless you are comparing it to vehicles in its size class, then yea, it's a luxed-up Civic, that offers more than a Versa & Corolla.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

What is so premium about the ILX? Is it the prop rod for the hood? Is it the cloth interior? Is it the 140 hp engine? Where is it?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
What is so premium about the ILX? Is it the prop rod for the hood? Is it the cloth interior? Is it the 140 hp engine? Where is it?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
What is "more premium" about the ILX? Compared to other vehicles in its price range? It brings nothing to the table...not even a badge to covet.

Unless you are comparing it to vehicles in its size class, then yea, it's a luxed-up Civic, that offers more than a Versa & Corolla.
Remember that Honda now wants Acura to be a "Smart Luxury" brand, and no more towards a "True Luxury" brand.

Therefore, it's hopeless to compare the ILX with anything from BMW nor MB.

So you are correct that a luxed-up Civic is the best target for the ILX.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Maybe Honda should just cut to the chase by integrating its Acura products into the Honda lineup, getting rid of the Acura brand altogether.

To some degree, said Honda lineup would resemble that of Honda Japan with USDM Accords being sold alongside of the TSX and RL. Beyond that, they'd only need to slot in the MDX, cancel the ZDX and then cancel the Civic EX-L and Si sedan (retaining the coupe), in favor of inserting the ILX into the lineup.

As far as the TL goes,cancel that monstrosity and avail it's powertrain, suspension and other goodies for use in the Accord V6.....maybe toss in an SH-AWD pkg for the V6 EX-L w/Navi level Accord.

Last edited by F23A4; 02-17-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
As far as the TL goes,cancel that monstrosity and avail it's powertrain, suspension and other goodies for use in the Accord V6.....maybe toss in an SH-AWD pkg for the V6 EX-L w/Navi level Accord.
You think they can't sell the TL now, wait until they try to sell that $35,000 Accord you just described. lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
You think they can't sell the TL now, wait until they try to sell that $35,000 Accord you just described. lol.

The TL doesn't sell well because it's ugl...er...an acquired taste.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Maybe Honda should just cut to the chase by integrating its Acura products into the Honda lineup, getting rid of the Acura brand altogether.

To some degree, said Honda lineup would resemble that of Honda Japan with USDM Accords being sold alongside of the TSX and RL. Beyond that, they'd only need to slot in the MDX, cancel the ZDX and then cancel the Civic EX-L and Si sedan (retaining the coupe), in favor of inserting the ILX into the lineup.

Folks will have a hard time shelling out big bucks for just a Honda

I know we here on the internet scoff at the Acura badge but it does carry a teensy bit of weight in the real world, and that does help push its sales

The lineup is okay, just needs lots of lots of major tweaks... and as far as the ILX goes I think it will soon end up with the 2.4 liter + CVT combo weve seen tested on the CU2 prototype out of the earth dreams motegi test. Journalists were generally enthusiastic about the pep of the 2.4 and the new CVT so i can imagine that the same combo in the ILX would make for quite a fun little car (I know CVT and fun dont even belong in the same paragraph, but its supposed to be nice)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
The TL doesn't sell well because it's ugl...er...an acquired taste.
Absolutely correct.

In the past, the 2G TL were sold at a rate of ~6K per month, and the 3G TL a rate of ~6.5K per month.

Life was good for the TL and also the Acura brand, until Acura started playing around with the exterior styling and the experimental signature grille.

It is the 4G "power plenum from hell" that has ruined it all for the TL model line.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it doesn't help that the 4G TL starts at more than a maxed out 3G TL was. I'm sure the rise in price has just as much to do with sales as anything else. Well, not just as much, but its a factor :P
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura needs to first focus on their current line up before they bring in and expand their lineup. The RL and TL need to be revamped for their next generation. If I was them, with the way sales are, being the next generation early. Get rid of the ZDX, who the hell wants that anyway. Clean up the TSX to be more fuel efficient with a turbo 4cyl. It's great they have the NSX in the pipeline to bring some attention back to the brand, but how many people can really afford that.

Infiniti needs to watch their back to. Their sales have been mediocre at best and what do they do, bring in the JX, which is a gas guzzler in times where gas prices are going to be back at $4-5 a gallon in the spring. Not smart on their part. The M has aged and is back to selling in low numbers as before. There is talk about them bringing back the Q Sedan as a flagship, but like Acura, they better focus on their current line up and refine/improve upon it before you focus on bringing back flagship sedans and supercars. The same can be said about Acura.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by smarty666
Acura needs to first focus on their current line up before they bring in and expand their lineup. The RL and TL need to be revamped for their next generation. If I was them, with the way sales are, being the next generation early. Get rid of the ZDX, who the hell wants that anyway. Clean up the TSX to be more fuel efficient with a turbo 4cyl. It's great they have the NSX in the pipeline to bring some attention back to the brand, but how many people can really afford that.

Infiniti needs to watch their back to. Their sales have been mediocre at best and what do they do, bring in the JX, which is a gas guzzler in times where gas prices are going to be back at $4-5 a gallon in the spring. Not smart on their part. The M has aged and is back to selling in low numbers as before. There is talk about them bringing back the Q Sedan as a flagship, but like Acura, they better focus on their current line up and refine/improve upon it before you focus on bringing back flagship sedans and supercars. The same can be said about Acura.
As it's carrying over the Murano's powertrain, it'll probably be in the 17-23 city/hwy mpg range which beats the the MDX's 16-21. What Infinti should do is dump the QX. That beast is far worse on gas than the JX is likely to be.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ I actually like the QX for a premium full size SUV. Seems like a nice alternative to an Escalade.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,499 Posts

+1, it's pointless to compare and debate until the actual ILX is out for public and auto media outlets to test and compare.

+1, as to the intended market group.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
When does the ILX has a 140hp engine? If you can find it, please let me know.

Note the key phrase, "VERY ENTRY LEVEL."

Then again, the TSX is just an Euro Accord. The RDX is just a high end trim of CR-V with more power. The MDX is just a pilot with more features and power and Sh-awd. The A4 is just Passat with a better badge. A HS250 is just a rebadged Toyota Sai. A ES350 is just a Toyota Windom, or a Camry with more features. A Rx350 is just a Toyota Harrier. A GS is just an Aristo. A Scion Xb is just a Toyota Rumion. A G37 is just a Nissan Skyline. An Aston Martin Cygnet is just a Toyota iQ. A M37/50 is just a Nissan Fuga.

What is so premium about the CT200h? Is it the FWD layout? Is it the might powertrain from the Prius? Or is it the excellent chassis again, from the Prius? The aggressive styling, then came straight from the BMW 1 series? The excellent driving dynamics?

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Yup...and people want Honda to sell a $30k Honda Civic.....lol....

Originally Posted by KillerG
Folks will have a hard time shelling out big bucks for just a Honda

I know we here on the internet scoff at the Acura badge but it does carry a teensy bit of weight in the real world, and that does help push its sales

The lineup is okay, just needs lots of lots of major tweaks... and as far as the ILX goes I think it will soon end up with the 2.4 liter + CVT combo weve seen tested on the CU2 prototype out of the earth dreams motegi test. Journalists were generally enthusiastic about the pep of the 2.4 and the new CVT so i can imagine that the same combo in the ILX would make for quite a fun little car (I know CVT and fun dont even belong in the same paragraph, but its supposed to be nice)

Originally Posted by PG2G
Well, it doesn't help that the 4G TL starts at more than a maxed out 3G TL was. I'm sure the rise in price has just as much to do with sales as anything else. Well, not just as much, but its a factor :P
Also when the 4G TL came out, the competitors are way better than before. The previous IS, CTS, C Class, E46, G35, were on their last few years of production when the 3G TL came out. I think it's more fair to say that Acura did not improve the 4G TL enough to be more competitive.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, it's pointless to compare and debate until the actual ILX is out for public and auto media outlets to test and compare.

+1, as to the intended market group.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 AM
Senior Moderator

MODERATOR'S NOTE: In case anyone has not noticed, there is now an ILX subforum: ILX
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the pictures, I think the ILX is a cute car. I have my heart set on it.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
So, the question to the marketing department:

Why buy this car?

Clearly not for the badge. Not much prestige or legendary history behind the Acura badge. Nobody drools for an Acura like they do for a Mercedes Benz, BMW.....

For the ownership experience? Questionable, but compared to BMW full maintenance, ownership experience is night and day compared to Acura. What does Acura bring to the table that is different from other lux makes in this department? I don't have an answer for that.

For the performance? We all know the answer to this one. We'll leave this one alone.

For the tech/features? See above. There are sub-lux car makers offering more tech and features than this car.

Design? Maybe...It does not offend, so it has that going for it. Does it excite? Well it's a lot better looking than a Civic and an Accord.

So who is this car for? The Honda faithful? Civic owners who don't want an Accord, but want the illusion that they are buying a luxury car?

Where does this car fit in? What's the business model for it?
this car is for the kids going off to college who want a "luxury" car on their parents dime. the parent's dont want to pay for repairs or worry about them wrecking an expensive car so they buy them a civic with an A badge
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#4

Not enough? Just enough?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ just enough, looks really good in black. and the black interior shows off the bits of chrome inside really nicely.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Best looking 4 door that they have produced since the previous generation TL and TSX. A step in the right direction. I like that the pictures make it look bigger than it is. They will sell a ton of them if they price it correctly. I still feel that the MPG should be higher though since it's a small car with a 4 banger.

Last edited by doopstr; 03-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Anyone notice the guy doing the interviews on the vids on that site? Hint: His Acura has ALOT of miles on it.

Last edited by doopstr; 03-12-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Anyone notice the guy doing the interviews on the vids on that site? Hint: His Acura has ALOT of miles on it.
Tyson is now their consumer consultant!
See what happens when you keep a car forever and document everything.

Think they will talk him into an ILX?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trim Info

ILX Base:
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 1.5L w/CVT Hybrid
Standard with:
Keyless Access and pushbutton start
Pandora
SMS (basic replies)
Power Sunroof (assumes it's glass like normal)
16" Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth
Cloth seats

ILX Premium
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 2.4L w/6MT
Adds to base:
Leather seats
Heated Front seats
360 watt stereo
XM Radio
Rear view camera
17" Alloy wheels
HID
Fog lights
Auto-dimming mirror

ILX Technology Package
  • 2.0L w/5AT
  • 1.5L w/CVT Hybrid
Adds to Premium:
ELS surround audio
Navigation
Homelink
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I know it's an entry level car but cloth seats?

Which of Acuras competitors do that? Not Lexus. Not Infiniti. Not Audi (last I checked). Not MB.

Last edited by AZuser; 03-14-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
I know it's an entry level car but cloth seats?

Which of Acuras competitors do that? Not Lexus. Not Infiniti. Not Audi (last I checked). Not MB.
But these competitors don't start "well below $30K" either. I'm sure it'll be fine if cloth starts at $24K and leather at $26K (plus or minus $1K). Anyway, a base IS is already $35K so these might not be compared as much as Acura might like (although they certainly will do so in their literature).
Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm probably the only one that feels this way but I greatly prefer cloth, as long as it looks classy.

Quick Reply: Acura: ILX News