Acura: ILX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Hence my use of the non-definitive word - "seemed."
Yep and that's the point I was hoping you'd catch. Colin in his original posting not really knowing what BMW's sales targets were. So it always about implication Colin think it was low and you thinking variants meaning it's OK, no one said for certain.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Yep and that's the point I was hoping you'd catch. Colin in his original posting not really knowing what BMW's sales targets were. So it always about implication Colin think it was low and you thinking variants meaning it's OK, no one said for certain.
I'm not going to argue this anymore. I will only say that you are misrepresenting what I said and leave it at that.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Have you guys seen the 2014 A3 sedan (yes, it won't be a hatchback anymore)? Here is a link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...-audi-a3-sedan

Seems like this will be one of ILX's competitors (at a higher price range I'd imagine).
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
i was watching the walkaround vid of John Ikeda on TOV, and he was mentioning how Acura went to pretty great lengths to not use the same raked A pillar that the Civic has and gave it a longer hood for a more conservative sedan look. and i'm so fucking glad they did.
I went back to watch that and what surprised me was his statement that they "pulled the pillars quite a bit back". I've always thought that the A-pillar to firewall joint was a 'fixed point' in a common chassis'? One of those things that you don't normally change. I wonder if they did this by not changing the actual 'hard point' but by moving the leading edge of the hood a bit more forward over the wheel centerline? This could create different proportions without actually changing the base of the windshield relative to the wheels.

Originally Posted by iforyou
Have you guys seen the 2014 A3 sedan (yes, it won't be a hatchback anymore)? Here is a link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...-audi-a3-sedan

Seems like this will be one of ILX's competitors (at a higher price range I'd imagine).
That illustration looks like a cross between a Chrysler 200 and VW CC. Don't current A3s share the transverse engine configuration with the Golf/Jetta? Are those two ready for a FMC, maybe this is why they're changing the A3 too? 174" seems pretty small, but it would likely have a long(sis) wheelbase which might help a bit. I agree, $30K base, $35-37K for a loaded one.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I agree, $30K base, $35-37K for a loaded one.
That is a really expensive car IMO. I think it should start at $27k and hit no more than $32k max.

It won't, but it should. A loaded A3 should not be $4k more than a base A4.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I went back to watch that and what surprised me was his statement that they "pulled the pillars quite a bit back". I've always thought that the A-pillar to firewall joint was a 'fixed point' in a common chassis'? One of those things that you don't normally change. I wonder if they did this by not changing the actual 'hard point' but by moving the leading edge of the hood a bit more forward over the wheel centerline? This could create different proportions without actually changing the base of the windshield relative to the wheels.
that's probably what he meant by "great lengths"? ie, he wasn't exaggerating, it really took that much work to change something simple like that.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Don't current A3s share the transverse engine configuration with the Golf/Jetta?
Golf and Jetta now ride on separate platforms.

Are those two ready for a FMC, maybe this is why they're changing the A3 too?
I believe they (Golf and A3) are, yes.

Last edited by dom; 01-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Golf and Jetta now ride on separate platforms.
I believe they (Golf and A3) are, yes.
I just can't kick the feeling that although Golf, Jetta and A3 may be "different", the engine subframe is a common component. Maybe its the fact that the engine choices and front track are essentially the same for all three? I know the Golf has the IRS and the Jetta has a longer wheelbase, but there seems to a similar commonality of some bits. For example, the Golf and A3 share the same wheelbase and the front and rear track are within .3", probably due to wheel differences.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I just can't kick the feeling that although Golf, Jetta and A3 may be "different", the engine subframe is a common component. Maybe its the fact that the engine choices and front track are essentially the same for all three? I know the Golf has the IRS and the Jetta has a longer wheelbase, but there seems to a similar commonality of some bits. For example, the Golf and A3 share the same wheelbase and the front and rear track are within .3", probably due to wheel differences.
You're probably right. They are probably very similar What I can say is that I've driven both a 2011 and 11 Jetta back to back and they felt like very different cars. Although I'm sure tuning and overall quality played a part in that.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
AZ Community Team

^ According to Wiki, current A3/Jetta/Golfride on the same basic platform the group A5. But that platform can be modular and allow different floor-pans lengths allowing front/rear suspension/cradles. Nissan does with their FM platform. Sometimes the manufacturer uses the same front box sections as hydroforming tooling is even more than expensive than EDM sheet stamp tooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa..._A_platform#A5
Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm curious as to how they did that as well. Moving the A pillars affects structural rigidity and collision energy absorption. Your right most of the unibody frames I've seen stripped down have fairly thick A pilar's welded to the top of the firewall side structural sections (which most often support the door hinges also).
Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I'm curious as to how they did that as well. Moving the A pillars affects structural rigidity and collision energy absorption. Your right most of the unibody frames I've seen stripped down have fairly thick A pilar's welded to the top of the firewall side structural sections (which most often support the door hinges also).
I guess the question is whether they moved the A-pillars relative to the engine/tranny/wheels or relative to the front bumper?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

not sure if I've mentioned it before but I actually like the ILX in terms of looks. The only thing up in the air is the engine choices... it's nice that they're offering choices, but having the 2.0 standard and 2.4 only in manual
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Now, you see.... that's where it gets iffy for me. I LOVE the GTI but optioned out there's no way I'm paying $30k for one when its base form (Golf) is so similar and starts out at a hair under $18k. They are nigh indistinguishable to the untrained eye/an uninformed person, but there's a very small likelihood that a non-car person would think that an ILX is a Civic.... a bit too early to say, but I doubt there will be any visible similarities other than size, possibly.

It's a slippery slope.... someone is inevitably going to mention a 325i vs. an M3, or the Mustang V6 vs. a GT500, etc. but this is why I generally don't see it this way.

You have a double standard for Japanese and domestic brands vs. European brands and that's fine, but you need to realize this
It is not double standards. Japanese differeniate more on features and interior content while German differeniate more Engine/Transmission/suspension/rims etc.
Would pay same amount of money for CVT/FWD A3 sedan vs AWD/8speed auto A3 or even 300bhp S3.
Acura does not give that much choices in options and engines.

A3 Sedan 2.0TDI will be way faster than 1.5L Hybrid ILX. It just shows Civic roots of ILX that are not putting larger Accord Hybrid into ILX.

Passat TDI is not expensive than Civic Hybrid.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

I dont think A3 sedan will be that much expensive as Euro is falling and volume of Audi is increasing way faster than any other brand. so the same MMI vendor for All Audi sedans across the world can give bigger discounts to Audi than Acura.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

if Acura creates next TL/TSX even remotely look like ILX. it will be failure.

A3 has strong resemlance to A4 but with much improved design in side and rear profile.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Those air vents are ugly. The current design is better.

As for the ILX, judging from that rear profile shot, I'd be surprised to know it rides on the Civic platform.

Don't current A3s share the transverse engine configuration with the Golf/Jetta? Are those two ready for a FMC, maybe this is why they're changing the A3 too?
VW is rolling out the new MQB platform which is intended to replace all current transverse platforms. Right now they have separate platforms for mini, compact, and mid-sized cars.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

And what credentials give you any sort of authority on the subject?

Go troll elsewhere.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
That navigation screen is not the most aerodynamic. Your argument is invalid.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Audi wheels not practical for aerodynamics. cd in wheels higher in Audi models than Honda. Honda models compete on higher level than Audi. Audi is joke of automotive world. 2009 TSX sets benchmark for future vehicles that Audi only hopes to acheive.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (01-21-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Audi wheels not practical for aerodynamics. cd in wheels higher in Audi models than Honda. Honda models compete on higher level than Audi. Audi is joke of automotive world. 2009 TSX sets benchmark for future vehicles that Audi only hopes to acheive.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Well played Sir
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

A3 has strong resemlance to A4 but with much improved design in side and rear profile.
Last year you biggest fan of Honda. Put down Audi, put down MB, put down BMW. Say unable to compete. Say HondAcura side mirror design and ground clearance benchmark of automotive market.

Almost three years ago you ride Audis nuts say HondAcura cannot match superior Audi. Say unable to compete. Say not true luxury manufacturer.

Okay the FOB talk is going to kill me. Presently you're back on Audi's nuts. Next year you will ride Hyundai despite everything you have said about them, or wait maybe Toyota/Lexus?
EL19 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by charliemike
That is a really expensive car IMO. I think it should start at $27k and hit no more than $32k max.

It won't, but it should. A loaded A3 should not be $4k more than a base A4.
Currently, the cheapest trim in the A3 line up is $27k (2.0TFSI Premium 6MT FWD). The most expensive trim is $33k (2.0TFSI Premium Plus 6AT Quattro).

However, the most expensive trim ($33k one) is by no means the fully loaded.

Some of the things that you can still add:
Convenience package ($1300)
Cold weather package ($500)
Titanium Sport Package ($2000)
18" Sport Package ($1400)
Navigation ($2000)
Panorama Roof ($1100)

Depending on how many options/packages you want, you can easily get to $37k. This is probably what Colin was referring to?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Just remember it's not apples to apples when comparing the ILX to the A3. That power train is better is anything the ILX will have to offer by a considerable margin IMO.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

ILX vs. Integra Sedan size comparison.

Interestingly, they're relatively the same length with the ILX being only 1" longer at 179" vs. 178". However, it's significantly wider, 74.4" vs. only 67.3" for the Integra and a bit taller at 56.1" vs. 53.9".
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Thats pretty wide - the NSX concept is only 0.2" wider.
Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Yeah Colin, I recalled reading your posts here and on vtec.net, and was just about to ask if what you read wasn't a typo. 74.4" on such a small sedan is pretty wiiiide.
I asked a friend at Acura to check if it was a typo and he took a few days and confirmed that the width listed is correct. The only caveat being that it's the correct width for the car shown saying, "the car has some pretty good shoulders on it" We'll learn more soon, production specs could come at the Chicago show.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Last year you biggest fan of Honda. Put down Audi, put down MB, put down BMW. Say unable to compete. Say HondAcura side mirror design and ground clearance benchmark of automotive market.

Almost three years ago you ride Audis nuts say HondAcura cannot match superior Audi. Say unable to compete. Say not true luxury manufacturer.

Okay the FOB talk is going to kill me. Presently you're back on Audi's nuts. Next year you will ride Hyundai despite everything you have said about them, or wait maybe Toyota/Lexus?
I didnot put down Audi. unless you can show it. the point is every year passes and Honda is going down. Its vehicles are getting expensive with older technology. Audi/BMW is moving up with more standard feature content/newer technology/better fuel efficiency. So that value of money of Honda is not simply there.
whats the point of introducing 2013 ILX model year car with 5 Speed Auto transmission? and that on Civic Chasis.
If Civic SI with dirt cheap price dont justify it against existing TSX. I dont see heavier & wider ILX will be any better.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...acura_tsx.html

The SE is not especially speedy (0-60 mph in 7.0 flat) or sticky (0.83 g), but it absolutely excels in refinement and composure. From the silky-smooth six-speed gearbox and energetic 2.4-liter (which is downright quiet compared with the Si's) to the delicate steering and responsive yet supple suspension, the TSX glides along with surgical precision. If you want to be pampered in a way the Si can only dream about (and you have an extra $8K lying around), the TSX SE is the Honda of choice.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1kKQRxrGY
Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Everything you write gets in the way of real discussion. Please, I beg of you, stop the madness.

stop

STOP

S T O P!
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
civicdrivr (01-23-2012), Hapa DC5 (01-23-2012), Legend2TL (01-24-2012), vybzkartel (01-24-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Everything you write gets in the way of real discussion. Please, I beg of you, stop the madness.

stop

STOP

S T O P!
I don't think I've seen you react to him like that before.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Seriously. Never seen him reacting to someone like that before.

SSFTSX, please, you are that annoying dude. No offense.... just stop posting. Please.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
As I said, I don't know if it's over or under performing per BMWs plans but it seems pretty obvious to any objective person that in 2011:

IS = 29,669 (despite production disruptions)
TSX = 30,935 (ditto)
Regal = 40,144
1series = 8,832
A3 = 6,561

So yeah, it's not selling that well in the overall scheme of sale volume. As I've said twice, I'm not trying to say that BMW isn't satisfied with the numbers, I don't know enough about what their goals were for the car.
The IS and TSX are more competitors of the 3 Series than the 1 Series.

In the luxury/near luxury segment, there seems to be a limit on how much of a compromise buyers will make on interior room, and the 1 Series, in particular, is pretty close in price to the 3 Series (the 1 Series mostly gets BMW enthusiasts who think the 3 Series coupe has gotten too big or want a modern day equivalent to the 2002).
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I didnot put down Audi. unless you can show it. the point is every year passes and Honda is going down. Its vehicles are getting expensive with older technology. Audi/BMW is moving up with more standard feature content/newer technology/better fuel efficiency. So that value of money of Honda is not simply there.
whats the point of introducing 2013 ILX model year car with 5 Speed Auto transmission? and that on Civic Chasis.
If Civic SI with dirt cheap price dont justify it against existing TSX. I dont see heavier & wider ILX will be any better.

Don't forget BMW every few months you change tune as to who's nuts to ride... You circle jerk Audi and Acura to put down MB/BMW then put down Acura to give a hand job back to BMW
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1955
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2711
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=448
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=430
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=192
^ that one is where you say a theoretical AWD 6MT TSX will match the performance of an R8
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1585
^ that's where ZDX ground clearance is so much more superior than Q5/X5 in the most appropriate forum, monthly car sales https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...i#post12331703 responses below
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1577
^ more gold from you
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1551
^ "TL is a legend no car in its class can match"
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=886
^ The RL is perfect
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=755
^ Acura is Tier 1 and Audi also has a real flagship
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=598
^ Acura is behind.

You can't make up your mind. You're all over the place and post to incite some type of emotional response from the rest of us. You truly have succeeded at that; kudos. So please stop and stick to a stance you actually BELIEVE not because you just want to piss everyone off.
The following 13 users liked this post by Hapa DC5:
CarbonGray Earl (01-24-2012), civicdrivr (01-23-2012), dom (01-24-2012), EL19 (01-24-2012), JS + XES (01-24-2012), jwong77 (01-24-2012), Ken1997TL (01-23-2012), knavinusa (01-24-2012), Legend2TL (01-24-2012), Nabooly (01-24-2012), pttl (01-24-2012), ttribe (01-24-2012), Yumcha (01-24-2012) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Don't forget BMW every few months you change tune as to who's nuts to ride... You circle jerk Audi and Acura to put down MB/BMW then put down Acura to give a hand job back to BMW
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1955
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2711
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=448
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=430
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=192
^ that one is where you say a theoretical AWD 6MT TSX will match the performance of an R8
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1585
^ that's where ZDX ground clearance is so much more superior than Q5/X5 in the most appropriate forum, monthly car sales https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...i#post12331703 responses below
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1577
^ more gold from you
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=1551
^ "TL is a legend no car in its class can match"
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=886
^ The RL is perfect
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=755
^ Acura is Tier 1 and Audi also has a real flagship
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=598
^ Acura is behind.

You can't make up your mind. You're all over the place and post to incite some type of emotional response from the rest of us. You truly have succeeded at that; kudos. So please stop and stick to a stance you actually BELIEVE not because you just want to piss everyone off.
:r ofl:
Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Costco (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
And with every quote, reponse, or hateful remark, SSFTSX is nurtured and grows stronger.

He takes your hateful posts, shoves it up his butt, and poops it out of his mouth onto his keyboard, then he clicks "Post Reply". You continue to post, he continues the verbal- er, typed-out diarrhea.
civicdrivr (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And with every quote, reponse, or hateful remark, SSFTSX is nurtured and grows stronger.

He takes your hateful posts, shoves it up his butt, and poops it out of his mouth onto his keyboard, then he clicks "Post Reply". You continue to post, he continues the verbal- er, typed-out diarrhea.
Just ignore people. He'll go away on his own is you stop replying.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by dom
Just ignore people. He'll go away on his own is you stop replying.
Eh according to SSFTSX Acura horsepower and transmissions are different. His theoretical R8 killing TSX is measured by unicorns, thus defeating the inferior R8 which use horsepower ratings.

Unicorns > horses duh.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Currently, the cheapest trim in the A3 line up is $27k (2.0TFSI Premium 6MT FWD). The most expensive trim is $33k (2.0TFSI Premium Plus 6AT Quattro).

However, the most expensive trim ($33k one) is by no means the fully loaded.

Some of the things that you can still add:
Convenience package ($1300)
Cold weather package ($500)
Titanium Sport Package ($2000)
18" Sport Package ($1400)
Navigation ($2000)
Panorama Roof ($1100)

Depending on how many options/packages you want, you can easily get to $37k. This is probably what Colin was referring to?
Definitely. An A3 TDi Titanium or whatever is about $40k. It's nuts. It's a nice car but it's not $13k nicer than a Golf TDi.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by knavinusa
I don't think I've seen you react to him like that before.
Getting Colin annoyed is sorta like getting Mother Teresa mad, I suppose even she got mad once every few years.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Trolls gonna Troll.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by charliemike
Definitely. An A3 TDi Titanium or whatever is about $40k. It's nuts. It's a nice car but it's not $13k nicer than a Golf TDi.
On the other hand, it's a good thing a small compact car like the A3 can be loaded like that. That's giving customers options.

Quick Reply: Acura: ILX News