Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura: Development and Technology News

Old 08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
The IS350 is not available with AWD, only the IS250. Same goes for the manual trans, no IS350.

And how does Acura (TSX) feel pressure to complete with the IS350? The IS250 is closer to the TSX.
I hope they make the next TSX with SH-AWD, 6spd, and turbo. That actually makes me wonder...with SH-AWD work with a manual tranny?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Received 581 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
I hope they make the next TSX with SH-AWD, 6spd, and turbo. That actually makes me wonder...with SH-AWD work with a manual tranny?
the current one already is 6spd.

the addition of turbo would be very very nice. but i don't see acura doing that at the moment. Reason being is that acura has been known to provide sporty cars while still maintaining efficiency. hence the higher compressions and high gas mileage vehicles. Hell even the CL had a great mpg rating for a 6cyl engine. Had they actually lowered the compression and made it DOHC it would been a great car to mod. But they went the route of more efficiency ahead of performance. Not that they aren't performing good. I love my CL.

I am being hopeful about the Turbo though
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Motohip
so with the current TSX coming in at around $26k already, adding turbo and AWD will put the TSX well over $30k.....nice thought, but tough to sell
Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
so with the current TSX coming in at around $26k already, adding turbo and AWD will put the TSX well over $30k.....nice thought, but tough to sell
It's easy to get a 215hp 325xi past the $50K mark so i think a 240hp AWD TSX would fair pretty well if it was in the low $30's.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

so u think honda can do SH-AWD and turbo power that's on par with their sports car, the s2000, and prolly even more tq than the S2k for about the same price with all the luxury goodies that the TSX already comes with

it'll be tough for honda to do that......love to see it happen but i dont think it's possible

also, honda's not gonna want a TSX steppin on the toes of the TL
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Photography Nerd

so u think honda can do SH-AWD and turbo power that's on par with their sports car, the s2000, and prolly even more tq than the S2k for about the same price with all the luxury goodies that the TSX already comes with

it'll be tough for honda to do that......love to see it happen but i dont think it's possible

also, honda's not gonna want a TSX steppin on the toes of the TL
That's why the TL will go to 300hp and the RL will get bumped to 350.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It's easy to get a 215hp 325xi past the $50K mark
Although not certain, the above sounds a little ambitious. Especially considering the fact you wrote "It's easy to..."
Old 08-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesnt the current TSX make more torque than the S2000 already? IT's 166 vs 162 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 797 Likes on 659 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Doesnt the current TSX make more torque than the S2000 already? IT's 166 vs 162 if I remember correctly.

I wonder what the S2k will be rated SAE certified.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Photography Nerd

Although not certain, the above sounds a little ambitious. Especially considering the fact you wrote "It's easy to..."
Well they only have the 325xi wagon on their site now and just playing around with it for a few minutes I was able to get one to $54,660. That's probably unrealistic but still high 40's is not hard to do. Across the street from me here at Budd's BMW there's a 325xi sedan on the used lot with $49,995 written on the window. That's CDN but I don't know how it's optioned or what the mileage is.

I don't see any reason why Acura couldn't offer a turbo awd TSX for low 30's.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Dan, is that 54K US?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by dom
Dan, is that 54K US?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Well they only have the 325xi wagon on their site now and just playing around with it for a few minutes I was able to get one to $54,660. That's probably unrealistic but still high 40's is not hard to do. Across the street from me here at Budd's BMW there's a 325xi sedan on the used lot with $49,995 written on the window. That's CDN but I don't know how it's optioned or what the mileage is.

I don't see any reason why Acura couldn't offer a turbo awd TSX for low 30's.
I priced a MB C350 Sport the other day online and it totaled $49,098 with many of the decent options. I think that's way too much! High 40's for a 3.25 is ridiculous.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

You could have saved $1,275 by removing the lazy stick, I mean the automatic transmission
Old 08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

That's why the TL will go to 300hp and the RL will get bumped to 350.
we could only hope......but since they're hp rating are actually going down for the '06 models, again, that'll be very hard for honda to do
Old 08-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

hmmm...i thought the 2.2 had more tq.....oh well, than if honda actually turbos a TSX then the TSX will have way more tq than the s2k, i still dont see that happening
Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM

I don't think it matters if the TSX has more torque than the S2000.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Testing Acura's "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive" system

Notre-dame-de-la-merci, Quebec - Although all-wheel drive (AWD) has been available on consumer vehicles for several decades, it's only in the last few years that the option has become popular across several brands and price points. In Canada, especially in the luxury segment, all-wheel drive as a percentage of vehicle sales is rising steadily, year after year.

Given the general advantages and acceptance of all-wheel drive, Acura would certainly like consumers to become as familiar with its recently introduced "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive," (SH-AWD) system in the same way that Audi is associated with "quattro" and Mercedes-Benz with "4Matic."

But it's not just because of branding. Beyond the Acura AWD system's mouthful of a name, "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive" is a noteworthy advance over competitive products.

Hailed in engineering circles as a breakthrough development in all-wheel drive systems, SH-AWD features what Acura chief engineer Shiyouji Tokushima calls "Direct Yaw Control," also known as Torque Vectoring. In fact, the term "torque vectoring" is gaining popularity when describing this kind of technology, and other manufacturers are now looking to develop similar systems.

The torque vectoring characteristic that distinguishes SH-AWD -- and what so impresses the competition -- is that the rotational speed of one rear wheel can be increased to improve stability and handling.

Think of it this way: you're going around a corner, and centrifugal forces are pushing the vehicle outwards, as you steer inwards to keep it online. Now imagine the SH-AWD system doing the compensating for you. Its torque vectoring properties enable the outside rear wheel to accelerate slightly in order to compensate for the forces pushing on the car as you round the bend. The result on dry pavement is a feeling that the vehicle is behaving much as it does when going straight, even though you're rounding a corner. On snow and ice, there are also advantages.

The system is comparatively simple, according to Mr. Tokushima, using a transfer case at the front, and a rear differential and two clutches at the rear to distribute torque. It is "proactive," as well, meaning that SH-AWD anticipates vehicle behaviour in particular conditions, and continuously compensates (it's "always active" says Mr. Tokushima) by distributing torque between front and rear wheels, and from side-to-side at the rear.

Likewise, if you're accelerating through a corner, and you abruptly take your foot off the gas, the SH-AWD system will work to stabilize the vehicle.

In case you're wondering, this is different than electronic stability control, where the throttle and brakes are selectively applied when sensors detect wheel slip. In many cases, in fact, braking responses from some stability control systems can come on too suddenly for many drivers, almost stopping a vehicle. Often, it's acceleration that's required to enhance stability, and here is where SH-AWD uniquely (at this point in time) has an advantage.

Of course, SH-AWD doesn't replace electronic stability control (Acura calls theirs "VSA") and traction control. These technologies "cooperate" with SH-AWD to optimize traction and handling. On Acura vehicles, the stability control system can be driver deactivated if desired, and the SH-AWD will work independently.

To demonstrate the SH-AWD system, Acura brought journalists to the snow and ice-covered Mecaglisse driving centre near Notre-dame-de-la-merci, about 90-minutes north of Montreal. Competitive vehicles from Lexus, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz were available for comparison, but the spotlight was on the Acura RDX and MDX sport utility vehicles, and the luxury RL sedan, which all come standard with "SH-AWD" (the RDX and MDX feature the latest version).

All of the competitive vehicles performed acceptably well on the purpose-designed tracks, and better than a comparable front or rear-wheel drive vehicle would (except for the Lexus GS 300, which did not flatter itself on the circular ice track). However, the Acura vehicles were distinguished by the smoothness of their operation, and their ability to maintain steering response in several situations where the competition had lost control.

It was noted that the all-wheel drive and stability systems on the competitive vehicles tended to intervene more abruptly and severely than the Acura vehicles. In comparison, the operation of the SH-AWD system and VSA was barely perceptible (a good thing!), and enabled corners to be taken on very slick surfaces without drama. Furthermore, some of those corners could be taken comfortably at twice the speed of the competition, although driving experience was a factor in achieving this level of performance.

Don't get the idea that SH-AWD will enable you to maintain control in any situation. It won't, and neither will any other traction technology. If you're going too fast into a corner, for instance, your momentum will trump any stability system.

But in everyday driving, on wet, dry and icy conditions, the torque vectoring properties of Acura's SH-AWD have discernable advantages in handling and performance.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/acura_awd.htm
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 556 Posts
Exclamation Acura Design Center Opens

Acura Moves Up
New Torrance facility shows car has reached its `own orbit'
By Muhammed El-Hasan

Honda R&D Americas Inc. unveiled its new $15 million Acura Design Studio on Thursday in Torrance, showcasing the Japanese luxury car's growing importance to the company.

The 50,000-square-foot facility on American Honda Motor Co.'s sprawling Torrance campus is the first design studio in the United States devoted exclusively to the Acura brand.
SoCal Computer Recyclers

"Acura is no longer a large moon circling the Honda planet," said Jon Ikeda, manager of the new studio. "We now have established our own orbit as an independent Acura planet."

The studio also enhances Southern California's stature as an international center for vehicle design.

"It is no coincidence that many of the car manufacturers are locating their design centers in Southern California," said Gordon Wangers, an independent automotive product analyst based in Las Vegas. "They see us as the height of trendiness, the height of fashion and the height of automotive culture."

In addition to Acura, Southern California has design centers for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, General Motors, Ford, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and others.

Also, the Art Center College of Design, which has one of the world's premier vehicle design schools, is in Pasadena.

On Thursday, several Acura concept cars were showcased in the Acura Design Studio's main work area, including the Advanced Sports Car Concept, a silver-colored car with a smooth muscular look that debuted at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Acura brand was introduced 21years ago in the United States and Canada.

In 2005, Acuras began selling in Mexico. The brand spread to China a year later.

Honda is expected to start selling the Acura in Japan within the next few years. Europe will come later.

Honda R&D Americas' first major involvement in the Acura brand occurred with the 1994 Acura Integra. After that, U.S. designers increasingly took a leadership role in the brand, which was the first Japanese luxury car designed, developed and manufactured in North America.

Two years ago, Honda's Los Angeles Center in Torrance, where Honda brand vehicles such as the Element were designed, began to hire designers exclusively for the Acura.

"This was a relatively quiet, but very important step," Ikeda said.

Today, the new studio is one of two design centers devoted exclusively to the Acura brand. The other opened within the past year in Japan.

Honda's new Torrance studio has a layout meant to enhance collaboration such as adjacent vehicle interior and exterior design areas.

In addition, styling work for interior and exterior will occur in a shared area.

The Acura Design Studio uses environmentally friendly elements including a reflective roof to reduce heat gain inside the building, thereby reducing use of air conditioning.

Reclaimed water is used for landscaping.

And the lighting system saves energy by adjusting to the amount of natural light that enters the building.

It is unclear how many people will populate the new studio since the company is still hiring designers, said Andy Lyiscott, facilities assistant manager for Honda R&D Americas.

[email protected]

Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts
So we might see the 2014 TSX have some influence form this design house.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its a step in the right direction but Acura needs a lot more than their own design team. They need to be able to develop cars from the ground up.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts
Exactly - this center will just come up with an exterior and interior to put on top of a platform which Honda will give them as suitable.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
"Hmmm....we just designed the best looking car in the world....can it work with FWD and a V6 though?"
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cob3683
"Hmmm....we just designed the best looking car in the world....can it work with FWD and a V6 though?"
Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Six more years until Acura starts to look good
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Six more years until Acura starts to look good
I dunno about looking good..it'll be more expressive, but not necessarily good.

For example, I like the new MDX. But do I think it's attractive, in a way that an Aston Martin is attractive? No. I just like how bold the design is.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM

I wish they would have done this 10 years ago...
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
^ agree
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Its a step in the right direction but Acura needs a lot more than their own design team. They need to be able to develop cars from the ground up.
They hint at that here:

"Acura is no longer a large moon circling the Honda planet," said Jon Ikeda, manager of the new studio. "We now have established our own orbit as an independent Acura planet."
But we'll see if Acura truely becomes it's own (with it's own platforms), or if most acura vehicles will continue to be based off the accord platform...
Old 06-22-2007, 02:57 PM
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX

Received 661 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
But we'll see if Acura truely becomes it's own (with it's own platforms), or if most acura vehicles will continue to be based off the accord platform...
I highly doubt Honda will develop a brand new platform for Acura cars, unless it's to become a RWD platform. Running two similar FWD platforms in parallel is not cost effective at all. Remember that the European Accord is our NA TSX. So the platform is already shared by default. What Honda might do is to have a medium size world car platform which is to be shared among the Accord, TSX, TL, and others.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Finally!

Too bad though, I'm no longer going to be buying another Acura though.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
meh, I think it's all just marketing... Look at Toyota/Lexus... they still share a lot of stuff (platform, engine, design cues) even though they said it was going to be like two different companies, but are they successful in distinguishing their brand identities? yes, and that's probably all that matters.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
4G TL-Elilte, 3G MDX

Received 661 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
meh, I think it's all just marketing... Look at Toyota/Lexus... they still share a lot of stuff (platform, engine, design cues) even though they said it was going to be like two different companies, but are they successful in distinguishing their brand identities? yes, and that's probably all that matters.
It's the RWD, V8 LS400 that has established the Lexus brand identity. That's why they are successful. Acura has nothing, nothing like that sort to do the same. Not before, not even now. Acura just doesn't have the car to do the job. The latest attempt (RL flagship) not only does nothing to elevate the Acura brand identity, but also damage it by the increasingly poor sales.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Finally!

Too bad though, I'm no longer going to be buying another Acura though.
Why do you say that?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
First Spy Pic of New Acura Sedan

There's no telling if it's the new TL or TSX, but it is a heavily disguised test mule of a new Acura sedan.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/6070730....type-spy-shots

Let the speculation begin...

Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I can't find my garage

the size and the front looks like it could be the new tl
Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I can't find my garage

the back end looks kinda like a maxima~lol
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
TOV thinks it's the next gen TL.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't find my garage

hmmm, just thought about it more..i honestly think acura should give the tl one more year before it goes through a total change. its doing real good right now and the 07 designs nice too(though its minor)
Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,085 Posts
Looks big

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.