You Do Not Need A New HU Just An EQ!!! LOOOOK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You Do Not Need A New HU Just An EQ!!! LOOOOK!!!

Hey all, I just got my system installed and it came out wonderful!!! Thanks TopGum for the recommendation!!! I have to show how the Audio Control Three.1 EQ came out, (IT IS A PERFECT FIT), almost looks stock. And the sound is just amazing, I swear I'm going to go deaf (WHAT???) But I need someone to host a pic for me or look at my Sig for Pics under (Acura TL Type S -NEW- 11-02)

THIS IS A MUST SEE!!!

2002 TL-TYPE S SSM NAVLESS
LOOKS: 35% Tint / Clear Headlights / Yellow Engine Cover / Spoon Radiator + Oil Cap / Razo Premium White 9006 Fogs / Polarg Front + Rear Red Turn Sigs.
POWER: AEM CAI Silver / Redline 5W20 Oil / B&M Tranny Cooler (protect our strong tranny's) / NGK Iridium plugs (6441) / Neuspeed STB / APEXi WS Coilovers / Uniden Radar
ICE: 2 Boston 6.5 Proseries Separates / 2 Boston RM6 6.5 Coax / SoundStream 600-4 Rub II Amp / SoundStream 500-2 Rub II Amp / 2 10W6 JL Audio Sub's / Audio Control Three.1 EQ / Stinger 1 Farad Super Cap. / Optima Yellow Top Battery / Dynamat All Door Speakers
FUTURE MODS: 19" RH M5's 3pc. / CT Sways / CT Header
PIC'S: http://community.webshots.com/user/bfor3
Old 11-19-2002, 03:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I WANNA SEEE!!!!!
hehe i dun wanna give up my stock headunit either!!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:33 PM
Instructor

It's There...

Originally posted by UA5-TL
I WANNA SEEE!!!!!
hehe i dun wanna give up my stock headunit either!!!!!
Follow the link in his sig. Pix are already there.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:11 PM
Racer

wow it look so nice and match with your deck. Is it make any diffrent with the EQ in there?
Old 11-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Wow..how much is the EQ?
Old 11-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Racer

Hell Yes it makes a difference!!! This is the cleanest sounding system I've had even keeping the stock HU, and that's saying a lot!!! It's the Audio Control Three.1 and It ran me $200. YOU NEED OTHER AMPS THOU!!! You can't just hook it up but it looks stock and gives you a lot of control in a small unit!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Nice!:wow:

That's really clean and I'm definitely interested. How much was the install? That's the paper tray right? I have a 99TL and would like to do something similar. Right now I have 2 Polk DX6 up front and 1 JL15W3 powered by Xtant 600X1 amp. Would this EQ make any difference if I added another amp to run the door speakers? Or do I need more/better components?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Racer

Hey Matt that's exactly what I was thinking... If you just got another 4 ch. amp for the Polks you should be fine. Better yet just try to get another set of Polks for the rear and that EQ and wow what a difference a day would make!!! The EQ has 3 outs (High,low,bass)
So bypass the Stock EQ run the Stock HU out to the AC EQ out high+low to the 4ch to the Polks then Bass out to Xtant amp to JL. YOU WOULD HAVE FULL CONTROL OF THE BASS SO ALL THE BASS DOESN"T GO TO ALL SPEAKERS LIKE YOU HAVE NOW!!! that's what we all need bass control so we don't blow our door speakers and your all set!!!

P.S. If your interested I just added a Pic of the EQ at night.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. If I go this route, I'll probably get the EQ and another set of Polks for the rear. Do I need the 4-channel amp then? Right now I have a separate control for my amp/subwoofer that controls the bass level(it's nice and takes the place of fog-light switch next to the TCS button). Would this EQ provide me any more control over the sub than what I have now?
Also, sounds like you installed yourself...how much do you think an audio shop will cost?
Old 11-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Racer

This is exactly what I've been looking for!!! Don't let this thread die!!!

Did you do the install or did you have it done for you? How can us do it yourselfers make this mod? I want to keep my stock HU and add the EQ. How did you bypass all the stock BS?

Killer job!!!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Racer

You can get the Audio Control THREE.1 from www.carmedia.com for $219. You can also get the Audo Control FOUR.1 from www.carmedia.com for $219.

The question is about the install. How did you do it? What was bypassed?

Give us a play by play of how you hooked it up to the stock HU and bypassed all of the Blose crap!!!

AGAIN, did YOU do it or did you have it done for you? How did you do it?

I have the speakers, the amps, the rest.....I want to keep the stock HU, use the EQ, and power the rest of my system!!!

HELP!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 02:17 AM
Instructor

The link to carmedia doesn't work.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:17 PM
Racer

Sorry.

www.carmedia1.com
Old 11-24-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro

BFOR3,
NICE FIND! NICE WORK!

This is a great find... it is a potential solution for a LOT of applications! I met up with BFOR3 back in the spring and bought a spare pair of DX6s from him for my rears. I can tell you that he is a man who takes "pride in his ride"!

Back then, he had had a shop install his door speakers along with an aftermarket amp... so I would assume that he had a shop do this EQ mod as well? But I can't speak for him for sure...

A lot of us are very interested in this nice little EQ install... Is it mounted into the stock "paper tray? If so, how was the hole cutout? Is it mounted real solid, or does it just sort of rest in the tray? In any case... I'm impressed... please give us some more details.

As a reminder.... the problem with bypassing the EQ in the stock system is that it also has some line level voltage gain. When it is bypassed, the following headunit power amp doesn't get enough drive to reach full volume. The level is down by around 6db. So typically, if you bypass the EQ, you also have to add an extra power amp to make up for the lost voltage gain.

NOW, I'm wondering if this slick little EQ has some voltage gain of its own? If so, that would be SWEET! It would allow those of us who still don't want to go to the expense and effort of adding an extra power amp. It would be relatively simple to cut the EQ loop and run it through this EQ instead. Leave the bass loop running through the factory EQ. Read some of Iggy's posts for how to best open up and bypass the EQ while properly terminating the unused wires. It's a tricky toad to deal with, if not done just right. But again, if this NEW EQ has some voltage gain... then it could be added in place of the stock EQ and still put out full volume from the stock headunit. This would then make for a relatively easy mod with some great benefits! One could use other door speakers than the DX6s... and the rolloff mod wouldn't be needed on them. Plus, as obvious, the three or four band EQ would allow for better individual contour control of the sound.

Since this EQ wouldn't be drawing the power like an aftermarket amp... one could easily open up the harness and feed power and ground from the old EQ as well as the signal wires... and hopefully not end up with any noise or ground loop problems??? In any case, one wouldn't have to run the 4 gauge cable hassle, etc, just to install the NEW EQ in the useless paper tray... The lights are green at night, so they more or less match the stock lighting? Is that true BFOR3?

Obviously, it's a great find when added to an aftermarket amp situation, but I'm starting to get interested to find out if it would also be a great addition for those of us without aftermarket amps?

NICE POST BFOR3! Needless to say, you have come a LONG way with your sound system. I don't even want to hear it or else I'll become VERY depressed. Thanks for the great info and photos!

Take care...
Southbound
Old 11-24-2002, 01:03 PM
Racer

Southbound,

If you get a chance, go to www.audiocontrol.com/caraudio.htm and download a pdf of the Three.1 manual. After checking it out, you should be able to determine how this will work for the rest of us.

They specifically state on page 4 that this will interface with "even Bose" factory stereos.

I've done countless stereo installs but have never had to deal with anything like this Bose POS with all of its BS. I thought this was going to be another simple add a LOC and go. Sheesh.

Let us know what you think!!

This looks like it may be added to my mountain of projects.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Wow. I would LOVE to have that EQ in my TL, along with a 4-channel amp to power the door speakers (DX6s).

Unfortunately, with the Navi I don't have that location available for the EQ. Grrr!
Old 11-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Instructor

plz excuse my ignorance but, I have a system on my 2001 V6 Accord w/a Sony 1000w monoblock (subwoofer) amp and an MTX 4200 series 4 x 60w RMS amp for my Infinity 2 ways. Thing is, my Sony deck puts out a true 4 volts out of 3 sets of outputs to a 7 band Pyle EQ. I don't understand how your stock system which has a Proprietary BOSE interface and possible 1 OHM or 2 OHM speakers in the doors/trunk are compatible with this EQ setup.

I mean, you are using SPEAKER level inputs???
Old 11-25-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro

The DOOR speakers in this particular Acura/BLOSE system are 4ohm speakers. (2000-2003)That helps... but VERY efficient replacement speakers are required if one doesn't add an additional aftermarket power amp.

The STOCK Acura/BLOSE system has a headunit AND a separate EQ box. A BALANCED line level signal comes out of the headunit and feeds the EQ box. Then a preemphasized high frequency boosted line level signal comes out of the EQ box and back into the power amp stage of the headunit. Then the four speaker level outputs of the headunit feed the four door speakrs. So substituting this EQ for the crappy "factory adjusted/no user control" BLOSE EQ could be done fairly easily. The four speaker outputs would then go through typical LOCs and onto an aftermarket power amp.

I'm looking into seeing if the NEW EQ produces enough line level gain to allow the stock headunit power amp to reach full volume if one doesn't add an additional aftermarket power amp to the stock headunit. The STOCK EQ has about 6db of flat gain as well as its 15-20db of high frequency boost at 15-20Khz. So simply bypassing it in the stock system results in a flat response... but unfortunately, not enough volume. Thus the need for my high freq rolloff at the speaker itself.

This should clear up any confusion that you may have had about the applications for this EQ. For those of us with the stock headunit who have upgraded to the POLK DX6 speakers and have performed the rolloff mod at the speaker.... the additional EQ may or may not provide that much better sound.... but it should allow for better "individual" listener preference settings, etc. For instance, you could boost the mids without getting too much brightness like the current treble control now poorly provides.

Southbound
Old 11-25-2002, 02:34 AM
Pro

I just downloaded the PDF owners manual on the Three.1 EQ.

EVERYTHING LOOKS SWEET!

This unit is VERY VERSATILE and could be used in a multitude of ways.

1. There are options for line level gain (adjustable from unity to 20db), which should make it work just great for those of us without an aftermarket amp, yet want to bypass the crappy Blose EQ.

2. It utilizes "balanced differential" inputs and outputs... just like the factory BLOSE unit. So splicing a connector shouldn't be difficult and shouldn't cause smoke anywhere. This is the preferred method of configuration for best S/N ratio and noise/whine cancellation. (the only thing that the Blose headunit did right) However, this unit does provide options for unbalanced inputs and outputs to match various other equipment.

3. It comes with options to deal with ground loops, engine whine, etc. Floating ground, semi-ground, hard ground.

4. It comes with crossover options to adjust what frequency hits the door speakers. Shipped at 90hz, but can be adjusted between 30hz and 3500hz. This would allow one to keep the deep bass from distorting the smaller door speakers so that the overall volume could be turned up while the deep bass is kept to the subwoofer feed.

5. The power draw is low as I suspected... only 250mA. That means that those of us who want to replace the BLOSE EQ with this unit, and KEEP the factory headunit as our power amp... won't have to go through the hassle of running super heavy gauge wire through the firewall and installing a power divider fuse block, etc. This unit can easily run off of the power wire for the Headunit with a 1 amp inline fuse.

6. All of the other technical specs are very good!

7. Dimensions are 1"Height, 6.75"Wide, 5"D. I'll have to take a look at how those dimensions fit into that paper tray? Weight, 2lbs.

This is a very intriquing little box...hmmmm???

THANKS BFOR3!
Southbound
Old 11-25-2002, 09:55 PM
Racer

Sorry all about not replying earlier, I don't subscribe here so it doesn't e-mail me when others reply BUT ANYWAY all I've heard about Audio Control Stuff is it's one of the best and when I saw how easy it fit into our stock paper tray, I had to buy it!!! It really works well with any stock HU because it has the speaker line inputs. I'm not to technical but I know a little (I Think). It's supposed to up the VOLTS from our Stock HU's and it has a Master Volume Control so I'm supposed to leave the HU Volume Turned all the way up (So it gets full Volts all the time) and just use the Master Volume on the EQ! It definately gives me all the control I need!!! Yes Southbound it does light up Green OR Amber so it looks very SWEET I'm very pleased with the whole set-up now. OH, I did get it Professionally installed so any real techy stuff I couldn't help to much on but it cost me $50 to install it in the Papertray (which I could have done myself) And I needed 3 RCA's to run the -HIGH, LOW, BASS- outs to the AMP's.

The EQ is MOUNTED REAL SOLID!!! It doesn't move at all. It comes with mounting brackets of course that you can use, but again I didn't install it so I can't be more help!!!

Hey Southy look how far just replaceing the stock speakers has gotten me

But this is one of the cleanest systems I have ever owned and still keeping the stock HU is saying a lot!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by egilsrud
Wow. I would LOVE to have that EQ in my TL, along with a 4-channel amp to power the door speakers (DX6s).

Unfortunately, with the Navi I don't have that location available for the EQ. Grrr!
Have you ever thought of getting of the "not ashtray, not coin holder" thing and the power outlet and put your EQ there?
Old 11-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SilverKnight

Have you ever thought of getting of the "not ashtray, not coin holder" thing and the power outlet and put your EQ there?
Yeah, I thought about that - but I already have the controller for the XM satellite radio tuner mounted there

Maybe I could move the controller somewhere else