XM Dealer install

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Dealer install

I have a 2004 TSX and I had the dealer install the XM Radio add-on. I've been reading the posts in the forum about the XM Commander and how people have installed the blitzsafe (and others)module so the Commander can be connected to the radio without using the FM Modulator. Is is it possible to do this with the Dealer installed XM Radio (which I understand is a re-badged Alpine)??
Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Let me be the first one to welcome you

Old 11-04-2004, 05:35 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be the second... Never seen it done, but based on my guess from the install instructions (looks like Ai-NET), it uses the Ai-NET connection, so you could get the Ai-NET to RCA connection adapter, not plug the Ai-NET cable into the FMM, plug the other end of the adaptor into the Blitzsafe, and voila!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
10th Gear

AI-Net

Ok, I've never done this before so I have a question. The wiring digagram has a DIN cable coming out of the tuner box which goes to the FMM. Is the DIN cable the same as the AI-NET cable? Or do I need to plug the DIN cable into a converter and then plug that into the blitzsafe which then gets plugged in to the AUX of the Acura Radio? And do you think the sound quality would be that much better than the FMM.
Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Racer

How much did you pay for your XM? so I assume that you have little square antenna on top of your roof right? I think that looks good on TSX...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by MoClvland
Ok, I've never done this before so I have a question. The wiring digagram has a DIN cable coming out of the tuner box which goes to the FMM. Is the DIN cable the same as the AI-NET cable? Or do I need to plug the DIN cable into a converter and then plug that into the blitzsafe which then gets plugged in to the AUX of the Acura Radio? And do you think the sound quality would be that much better than the FMM.
Thanks.

FMM sucks.

That Ai_NET cable, if that IS what it is, has audio in it that is accessible using the Alpine Ai-RCA adapter.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:27 AM
10th Gear

AI-Net

How can I tell if it is an AI-Net cable? I don't want to pruchase the converter til I know I have the right cable.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM
VP Electricity

Sorry, the only way to be SURE is to see if the converter plugs in. The instructions for the FM XM kit show a drawing that LOOKS like an Ai-NET cable, but we are working with probability on this one to some degree. Wish I'd seen one, but I haven't.

It's not too much of a risk costwise, is it? Cna you go to a local store that has alpine who will take the return if it'snot?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Instructor

How Much Did You Pay For You Xm? Install? Everything?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
10th Gear

Just did this for MY04 TSX w/ Nav. I had the dealer install the XM Radio (costly mistake, but its spilled milk now) which uses FM modulation. Was not happy with the sound quality, and so I wanted to find a way to have a direct connection but keep the same setup.

After googling for a little while, I found this particular item:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blithonxmdmxalpv1.html

This allows you to use your XM interface, while using a direct connection.

The AI-NET cable that comes from the tuner unit from the trunk would normally plug into the FM modulator unit. The XM interface with the rotary knob and buttons plugs into the FM modulator unit, and this is what controls what you listen to. The AI-NET cable still needs to go into the FM Modulator, otherwise you can't use the XM interface to change the stations.

That item I listed is plugged into the AI-NET cable from the Tuner in the trunk, and from that item there are three cables, another AI-NET cable which is plugged into the FM Modulator (allowing you to use the XM Interface) and two RCA cables, allowing you to connect directly to the stock radio.

Before you can connect to the stock radio, you need another interface which would plug into the AUX adaptor of the radio. The item above comes with an interface, but unfortunatley it is not compatible with the TSX. I had to buy this, which is for NAV models:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonsnyitiv2.html

This plugs into the AUX socket, and once this is done, all you need is an interconnecting RCA thing to connect both items. I got a couple from Radio Shack, and also attached a piggyback cable, in case I get an IPOD or other device requiring those connections.

I used the removal instructions from this site:

http://instantox.com/tsx/pdf/XM_RADIO_SYSTEM.PDF

It takes a little work, as I had to remove the glove box and unscrew the XM interface from the dash. But, 2 hours later, I have wonderful XM sound. Its costly (230 bucks - ouch!), but the sound is dramatically better and I have an IPOD connection for the future.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 PM
VP Electricity

Rock on! So let me get this straight:

The first item plugs directly into the Ai-NET cable with no adapter, and has RCA output.

The second item takes RCA audio from the first item and sends it in the AUX port.

So you get XM control and AUX audio. What a deal! Now I think I will add XM to the TSX!

I assume that we still have the sony screen on when AUX is selected... maybe the guys in the Hacking Navi thread have fixed that too? : )
Old 11-30-2004, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino
Rock on! So let me get this straight:

The first item plugs directly into the Ai-NET cable with no adapter, and has RCA output.

The second item takes RCA audio from the first item and sends it in the AUX port.

So you get XM control and AUX audio. What a deal! Now I think I will add XM to the TSX!

I assume that we still have the sony screen on when AUX is selected... maybe the guys in the Hacking Navi thread have fixed that too? : )

You got it for the most part I think. The first item goes is like a go between for the XM Receiver/Tuner unit in the Trunk and the FM Modulator next to the glove box (note that this is for the dealer installed XM). They are still connected by an Ai-NET cable, but the item adds RCA output.

The second item connects to the AUX jack that the Navigation normally goes into, but that item has a connector so that the NAV system can still be used simultaneously. The second item has RCA inputs.

Now its just a matter of connecting the two (easier said than done - its a very tight fit to get at the Ai-NET connection in the FM Modulaotr behind the glove box, and my hands are cut to hell). Because we are now dealing with RCA, Radio Shack has piggyback RCA cables which allows you to connect two devices to the same input, thus future proofing the car so that you will always have a direct connection as long as the device has RCA output.

To listen to XM, you now have either the FM option or the AUX option. You have to hit the CD/AUX button until you see 'CD-C', then you have crystal clear sound. I use the XM interface to change the stations (completely separate from the NAV screen). Hope that answers your questions.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

Without Navi?

I have the dealer install but no navigation. How does that change my setup?

I still can't believe how much I paid the dealer for XM. It was highway robbery.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Its easier and cheaper without the Navigation. You still have to use Item 1, but use this instead of Item 2:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonsnyitiv1.html

Just hook that up to the Aux port, then hook the RCA cables to this:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blithonxmdmxalpv1.html

Its the same procedure as the Navigation. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:06 AM
VP Electricity

If you get rid of the FM option by disconnecting it from the antenna cable your reception will get better (trust me on this one: )
Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 AM
10th Gear

Thanks, after I posted last night I went to that site and thats exactly the part I thought I needed.

This is a really stupid question but.....once the XM is connected to the CD/AUX, will the CD player still work? I am assuming the XM module will have to be turned off in order for the CD changer to work. Also, did you have to pull out the entire radio to get to the AUX port or were you able to access it from behind.

And again thanks for the help. I can't wait to hear the XM without FM modulation. Currently, I have to trun the radio volume to at leat 1/2 in order to get any volume out of the XM unite and in the summer with the windows down its almost impossible to hear the XM. I even set the preamp in the XM unit to its max and it didn't help much.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:21 AM
VP Electricity

The CD/AUX button is a toggle... it alternates...
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MoClvland
Thanks, after I posted last night I went to that site and thats exactly the part I thought I needed.

This is a really stupid question but.....once the XM is connected to the CD/AUX, will the CD player still work? I am assuming the XM module will have to be turned off in order for the CD changer to work. Also, did you have to pull out the entire radio to get to the AUX port or were you able to access it from behind.

And again thanks for the help. I can't wait to hear the XM without FM modulation. Currently, I have to trun the radio volume to at leat 1/2 in order to get any volume out of the XM unite and in the summer with the windows down its almost impossible to hear the XM. I even set the preamp in the XM unit to its max and it didn't help much.
The XM module does not have to be turned off for the CD player to work, but having it on will disrupt your FM reception. I'll disconnect it from the antenna, as elduderino said, and see if that makes things better. I don't think I would have done any of this if I thought I would lose any functionality.

Its very easy to get to the AUX port - its right underneath the radio. All I did was pull out the XM module (unscrew 4 lug nuts), and using a flashlight and mirror, you can get to the AUX connection. There's another thread that has pictures on how to do this. This was the easiest part of the procedure for me personally.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 PM
VP Electricity

I have the same XM unit in my CR-V as an Alpine-branded add-on to the Nak HU. I tried adding in the FMM in for test purposes (I have a client that uses FMMs in rear-seat entertainment, and they were looking at adding the same Rohm IC to their product, so I thought I'd test it out). I can do exactly what they describe, go FMM or AUX.

When I am doing standard FM listening around town, I can have trouble bringing in an FM station (AM, I would expect, but FM?). I turn OFF the Alpine XM unit, and my reception gets noticably better.

I would unplug the thing but I haven't had any other reason to get into the Honda... hoping to replace it soon anyway and probably drop the Honda HU back in and leave the FMM... since I flushed the controller into the headliner and color-matched the trim ring, I ain't taking it out anyway...