What's the difference between SVC and DVC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between SVC and DVC?

I noticed that the sub I am looking at comes in both single voice coil and dual voice coil. What's the difference, is one better than the other? thanks.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:37 AM
Banned

xjp122x:

A SVC (Single Voice Coil) driver is where a voice coil, similar to an inductor, is wired onto a former and drives a cone that acts as a piston to push air.

A DVC (Dual Voice Coil) driver is where two separate voice coils are wound on the same former. Each coil can be connected to a separate channel on a stereo amplifier, or they can be wired in series or parallel and powered by one amplifier. A DVC driver can be used in place of two separate drivers when space is at a premium.

A DVC can be wired in different ways, to give different resistances. When comparing the same speaker setup, a DVC will handle much more power than an SVC. When looking for more pushing capacity, a DVC is the better choice...

Hope that helped,
Austin519
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Austin519 thanks for the explanation this makes sense now. If I get a subwoofer sometime I think I will go with the DVC. thanks again
Old 12-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

actually svc and dvc can handle the same amount its just that the dvc ahs 2 voice coils and you can bridge it or not to get more power
Old 12-12-2001, 01:55 AM
Banned

962.5TL:

"actually svc and dvc can handle the same amount its just that the dvc ahs 2 voice coils and you can bridge it or not to get more power"

I seriously have to disagree. On an arbitrary speaker with the same components, assuming that the rolls, spiders, and cones are not the limiting power factor, dual inductive voice coils will create twice the magnetic field (give or take some Ef) and will effectively "handle" twice the power. However, yes it is quite possible to get a speaker that contains a single coil with twice the windings, versus a DVC with two coils of standard winding, and they would have the same power characteristics.

Let me go a little more in depth, because it seems 962.5TL you have some knowledge of speakers so I will satisfy that too.

As I said above, you can find speakers with the same power characteristics. When I was referring to different power outputs, I was referring to wiring the two coils in parallel. xjp122x, think of each coil as a simple resistive load (close enough for what I'm going to say). Let's say you have one resistor, of a 4 ohm resistance. That's your SVC speaker. Now, let's say you have two resistors. To wire them both to a power supply, you can wire them together in series or parallel. Wiring them in parallel, which is what I was talking about when I said that the DVC would yield higher power. How is this possible? Well...again saying that one coil has a 4 ohm resistance, let's say our power supply is 12 volts (just an example...in no way accurate). So for one resistor, you have P=V^2/R or power is 36W. Second, two resistors in parallel. If you compute the effective resistance of 2 4 ohm resistors in parallel you have 2 ohms...and here P = 72W. Third, you have two resistors in series, yielding an 8 ohm effective resistance. Power here equals 18W. There is your main difference. Now of course these power outputs are assuming your amp has a regulated PSU like JL amps, if not the power output may be different depending on the specs of the amp.

A DVC amp is also helpful when your amp isn't mono bridgeable. You are able to hook each voice coil up to a separate channel of the same amp (NEVER to a different amp)...this of course isn't a preferable setup because of electrical conductivities and current phases, but if needed you can do this.

Third, a DVC amp helps when doing multiple speaker arrangements because it allows multiple configurations in terms of impedance...trying to wire the speakers up just in series will cause serious problems with signal interference between the speakers.

So in conclusion...if your speaker impedance, or if you're driving multiple speakers from one amp if the speakers wired in parallel matches the impedance of the amp, then you're set. If not, then you'll have greater flexibility to match it with a DVC sub. And, if you're running an amp that's rated irrespective of the load impedance, it will allow you to configure a lower impedance to achieve more power (at an obviously larger current draw). So, if none of this matters and cost doesn't change, a DVC will give you more options later. Hope this more long winded explanation cleared everything up...

Austin519