What subwoofer do you run and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan14309
For good subwoofers that don't need a lot of air volume, Elemental Designs seems to be an unknown subwoofer company that makes excellent sound quality subs. I have one of their older models in my camaro in a .9 cubic/ft of space sealed running 400 watts. The positioning of the sub in my camaro definitely isn't ideal but it still hits very accurately and will definitely boom if you turn it up while staying accurate. Nothing worse than a bad sub that makes a noisy boom a fraction of a second after its supposed to hit.

I have pics of the box with the sub on my cardomain site .

Sorry its not a TSX. I just got my black black 6speed with navi. I plan on buying edesign subs for the TSX and can't wait to get them in the trunk facing backwards which is an ideal position for subs. I'll def get another cardomain site up for TSX
i'm running an eD also - a 10" in .6 cu ft sealed box. i haven't had much chance to tune my system, but it sounds great, especially considering that i only had to give up a small volume in the trunk. plenty loud for my rock/metal/blues tunes.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:03 PM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by Tsx536
They dimensions for my current box are

14" W X 14" H X 15.5" Depth. Made out of 3/4" MDF

How much air space is that and how is it calculated?
length X width X height = volume.

12" x 12" x 12" = 1728" cubic inches in one cubic foot.

so your internal volume is roughly 12.5" x 12.5" x 14" = 2187 cubic inches divided by 1728 to convert it to cubic feet equals ~1.27 THEN you have to subtract displacement of the subwoofer (and ports and bracing, if there).
Old 09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by musicbox
length X width X height = volume.

12" x 12" x 12" = 1728" cubic inches in one cubic foot.

so your internal volume is roughly 12.5" x 12.5" x 14" = 2187 cubic inches divided by 1728 to convert it to cubic feet equals ~1.27 THEN you have to subtract displacement of the subwoofer (and ports and bracing, if there).
The specs say the displacement is .07 ft and I have no ports.
So that means I would get about 1.2 cu ft. airspace.

Thanks music Box. That is great news. The 1.20 air space will be perfect for my 12" w3v2.
Now I know for sure I don't need a new box. Great news!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Hey Slo007.

I'm going to get a 12" w3v2 D2 just like you man!
Thanks for the help. I just payed for it. I'm not sure how you got it for $150 w/ box though. I had to pay $150 for just the sub alone. That was the cheapest price I could find for a new one, from a reliable place.

How much airspace do you have for the sub?
Also, do you know how airspace is calculated based on Width, Height, and depth?
Good choice!

I bought the sub here; and I have one of these boxes. If I recall correctly, I have the maximum volume recommended by the manual.

I bought my amp at a dealer, because I insisted in getting a unit with warranty. I think it was $300 +tax. The installation sucked! Whatever you do, install it yourself. You car deserves it.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:20 PM
2004 TSX

Slo, how was the manufacturing job on that box? Was the inside bare like(what looks like) in the pics? or is it coated with glas/epoxy on the inside? I'm just curious. If it's bare, consider coating it with something.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slo007
I bought my amp at a dealer, because I insisted in getting a unit with warranty. I think it was $300 +tax. The installation sucked! Whatever you do, install it yourself. You car deserves it.
Dude, I'm sorry that you got a hack install, and I know there's more hacks than real pro's, but you can't just take your instance and generalize universally like that - at least not with any degree of accuracy.

Having seen many people's self installs (and having seen some of the pics posted by proud shade-tree installers on this forum) I can tell you that some people just shouldn't work on their own cars. I've seen rookie install moves blow up gear, literally start fires, take out components of the car, and usually sound about 30% as good as they should. Now, it's their right to do their own work, God bless'em, but there's also a place for good shops who do good work.

cfox1952 did some good research on shops in your area on this thread... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15057

I would add Vehicle Integrated Products in Carlsbad... they did some nice work on a CES show car (Nissan Skyline) and I've talked to them about some product issues for one of my clients, and they seem very sharp. Here's their address...

6060 AVENIDA ENCINAS , CARLSBAD CA , 92009 7609296000
Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Good choice!

I bought the sub here; and I have one of these boxes. If I recall correctly, I have the maximum volume recommended by the manual.

Hey thanks for the link. I called the guy up and he said $169 plus $10 shipping. I actually relieved that he said more because I had already paid $150 shipped for my sub. Nothing worse than buying something only to find it cheaper somewhere else.

He was trying to sell me autoTek stuff. I was nice about the whole thing, and said I will definitely consider that. lol...but Um...
Anyone heard of that?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Slo, how was the manufacturing job on that box? Was the inside bare like(what looks like) in the pics? or is it coated with glas/epoxy on the inside? I'm just curious. If it's bare, consider coating it with something.
What are the advantages of spraying the inside of the box, MusicBox?

I don't think my box has any type of glas/epoxy on the inside. Where would I be able to get some?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Master in Science

It's clean like the pic; but it has some foam baffle inside (a big sheet rolled 3-4 layers). What would you recommend?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by elduderino
Dude, I'm sorry that you got a hack install, and I know there's more hacks than real pro's, but you can't just take your instance and generalize universally like that - at least not with any degree of accuracy.

Having seen many people's self installs (and having seen some of the pics posted by proud shade-tree installers on this forum) I can tell you that some people just shouldn't work on their own cars. I've seen rookie install moves blow up gear, literally start fires, take out components of the car, and usually sound about 30% as good as they should. Now, it's their right to do their own work, God bless'em, but there's also a place for good shops who do good work.

cfox1952 did some good research on shops in your area on this thread... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15057

I would add Vehicle Integrated Products in Carlsbad... they did some nice work on a CES show car (Nissan Skyline) and I've talked to them about some product issues for one of my clients, and they seem very sharp. Here's their address...

6060 AVENIDA ENCINAS , CARLSBAD CA , 92009 7609296000
I went to 3 stores in the process of getting my system (store selection was limited in SLO). Each one did a worst job than the one before. I ended up with scratches on the center console, a non-working NAVI voice (dealer refuses to touch, due to wiring chg's), and high labor costs. I even had to provide solutions to problems based on my own research online, because the stores would just give up. Hence my recommendation one do it on their own.

But you are absolutely right! Some people should never even open the hood of their car. I have a family friend who opened the hood to take a look at her car and thought it was a bit hot; thus she put water in the oil tank...

I think I've been to the store you mentioned. They have the best audio components in the market. I was stunned by the high end stuff that they had. Really superb quality, yet the prices they quoted me were over MSRP; so I was bit turned off.

I'll check the thread you linked to. Now that I'm no longer in college, I can afford to take the car back to a shop. I'm quite eager to replace the tweets in my car. The Alpine Type R are too bright!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 PM
2004 TSX

It's clean like the pic; but it has some foam baffle inside (a big sheet rolled 3-4 layers). What would you recommend?
Well, to make a box as rigid as possible(and sealed better), you can coat the inside with a glas resin/epoxy. And they also make a version with like sawdust or small wood chunks in it, I forget the name of the stuff. Mill resin or something.

But I don't recommend this to most people, unless you have experience with mixing resins, you can ruin your box quickly.

Some shops will also do this to make a lighter box, they start with thinner wood, then coat the inside and the outside. It's quicker and easier then making a full fiberglas box.

Again, I don't recommend this to most people, it's just another in the list of tweaks to get the most out of your system. But you can quickly destroy wood if you use resin/epoxy on it that's mixed wrong.

These are some great articles on enclosure building...

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/bracing/index.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/boxdesign/index.html
Old 10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Hey slo007, about 45 minutes drive time from you in the city of Orange, Orange County is one of the best, if not the best shop in the land, Speakerworks. It is just off the 57 freeway on Main St, 2 blocks south of Katella. 16 or 17 world champion cars (IASCA). Really good sq installs, and yes they can make an SPL setup if you want it too. No, I don't work there; I am just a really happy customer of theirs (for my last three cars). In fact they are installing my i-Pod interface as I am writing this from work. Picking it up tonight.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by jpswanberg
Hey slo007, about 45 minutes drive time from you in the city of Orange, Orange County is one of the best, if not the best shop in the land, Speakerworks. It is just off the 57 freeway on Main St, 2 blocks south of Katella. 16 or 17 world champion cars (IASCA). Really good sq installs, and yes they can make an SPL setup if you want it too. No, I don't work there; I am just a really happy customer of theirs (for my last three cars). In fact they are installing my i-Pod interface as I am writing this from work. Picking it up tonight.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check on them next time I drive up to LA.

Do you have pics of your iPod setup?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Instructor

My i-Pod is in the arm rest. Nothing is seen and the i-Pod is operated through my head unit (Alpine CDA-9833). I have only played with the unit last night and on the way to work this morning, so I am still on the learning curve. I have my songs encoded at 320 k. as opposed to 128 k. and the sound is very comperable to the source (ie. the better the source, the better the sound). You can easily tell which songs came from SACD/XRCD versus regular CD's. Overall, I love the set-up, and the best thing is that unlike an FM modulator, it gives me both frequency extremes (below 40 Hz and above 16,000 Hz).
Old 10-13-2004, 12:16 AM
crc

I just got a JL 12"w0-4 with a JL e1200 amp, it hits pretty nice, but i was thinkin about gettin another 12"w0-4.....basiclly gettin another set of what i already have and having a custom box built for the subs, you guys think that would be a good idea? cause i want my shit to be thumpin, people can hear me come, have sex without me even moving
Old 10-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Sex without moving? You must be trying it in the TSX backseat right? Get a hotel room, it's much more comfortable, and she might even have sex with you again. Two 12's sounds fine for what you want, but upgrade the amp to an e1400d, or add a second e1200. Best of luck on the soundsystem (the sex, moving or otherwise, is strictly up to you).
Old 10-14-2004, 12:22 PM
VP Electricity

Remember back when WE thought our sound system would get us laid?

Shi-yit.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:44 PM
2004 TSX

Mine did! well, indirectly...I dated a girl that I met working late on my car one night at a buddies stereo shop...
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, I've slept with customers too... I even married one!

I'm talking about your personal stereo system getting you meaningless sex.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:41 PM
crc

If i get another 12"-w0 would the bass over power the stock speakers to where i cant hear the music anymore and have to upgrade the stock speakers? cuase thats gonna cost more money... and also will the stock deco be able to get 2 amps hookd up to it?? or do you guys think i should just get rid of me e1200 and get another amp to power both subs?
Old 10-16-2004, 05:56 PM
VP Electricity

Why don't you read through some of the other threads in this section, asked by people like yourself, about system design. I doubt any new points would be made, and you could benefit from lots of answers.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
crc

anyone know where i can get good subenclosers?? they said it would cost 300$ for a custom sub box for 2 12"jl w0 ........thats way way too much... i was looking at these boxes http://mainstreet-audio.com/subzone/...jl_audio.shtml its supposlly made for JL subs, looking at the single 12" vented or the dual 12" vented, you think that will improve my subs? Well pretty much i just wanna know if that by me gettin a custom sub box would it make a big differenece? and where can i get it for cheap?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Instructor

I went with 2 JL 10w6V2. They take up very little airspace and are very good on sound quality.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Instructor

You can get some good enclosures that won't destroy your budget over here, but they also have expensive ones if you want to splurge as well. I would probably pay alot extra for a custom fiberglass box or even a quality ported box, but if they are charging 300 for a "custom" sealed box - just find a pre-fabricated one.

http://www.audioperfect.com/shop/cat...3136f407ec5e32
Old 10-17-2004, 02:53 PM
crc

What is the difference between a seald box and an unseald one..... for hip hop music like more bass what would you want?? i have a seald box right now that i got when i bought my sub, its pretty nice but i think my 12" w0 can do better, i went to audioperfect.com their boxes look nice but im not sure which ones would be best for my sub....help? lookin to spend about 150-250?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
VP Electricity

Car woofers now fit in small sealed enclusres. The small sealed enclosure acts as a part of the speaker suspension.

While ported boxes *can* have better frequency response, sealed boxes fit in cars better, and are definitely more "foolproof" as far as abusive operation/excursion-handling goes. Most car woofer suppliers have gone to small-sealed-box optimization for most of their woofers.

Sealed boxes can have better transient response ("immediacy") but this usually requires acoustically-generated bass, not electronically-generated bass notes (like that in rap music).'

So, since you are a total noob at present, get a sealed box for minimal risk of blowing sh!t up.

After you know more, you may pursue other designs... or not.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
crc

def do not wanna blow my shit up, but i have a 2 yr warranty on my subs, so i guess its ok, but just to save the trouble with dealin with the salesmen, im gonna go with a seald box, now i just need to know what box would be best for 2 12"w0-4 i've been looking around online and have no clue whats good and whats not, im bascilly judging them on the price, and i dont feel like spending 250-300 for someone to build me a custom box....dont know if it'll be worth it, so i need advice on buying a sub box for my 2 12" subs, HELP PLEASE!!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:04 PM
2004 TSX

Build your own.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:29 PM
crc

Build my own...... i know nothing about building boxes, so i think thats gonna be a hard, unless you wanna build me one?? please please please
Old 10-17-2004, 10:21 PM
2004 TSX

There's no time like the present to learn.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:27 AM
crc

............i wish i knew someone who knows everything about car systems and he could just built me a costom box for free
Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 AM
VP Electricity

I wish I played center field for the Boston fucking Red Sox. Life sucks... get a fucking helmet.

Dennis Leary.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Carkc,

Here is a link to guy I know who can build awesome boxes. He doesnt charge very much for exceptional work. Just tell him how big you want your enclosure to be. His name is Marv. Just follow the link. If you like, just email him, and he will you his number. If you want to find out how big your boxes are suppose to be just download a program called bass box pro. Hope this help ya.

http://community-2.webtv.net/MarvsPlace/MarvsPlace/

Tuan
Old 10-18-2004, 07:56 AM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by cArKc
............i wish i knew someone who knows everything about car systems and he could just built me a costom box for free
cArKc, do you own a TSX? Or are you just in here looking for audio advice?
I don't care either way, I'm just wondering.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino
I'm talking about your personal stereo system getting you meaningless sex.

now thats what im talking about. once i put in my new system, there'll be way more of that coming my way, i hope
Old 10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
crc

i have a black(tan interior) 04 tsx AT with the body kit and spoiler that the ealership offers, with 20% titns on it. well i wanna learn about aduio systems and stuff, but i just went to a local car aduio specialist and they will install my 2 12" w0-4 and build me a fiberglass box, all together he said would come to about 550, sounds good cuase they do a better job than The Good Guys, and they were gonna charge me 500 for the box and installation (box mostlikely not as good)
Old 10-18-2004, 10:19 PM
crc

theres is already a little rattling in my car with me 1 12"sub, so with 2 i think it would be rattling crazy, anyways i can prevent that, so that my trunk wont be rattling?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
VP Electricity

So, who's the specialist? And where?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:43 PM
crc

system unlimited, down the street from my house, i live in bellevue WA, are fatmats, or dynamats easy to isntall yourself? i just need them in my trunk and my license plate, cause i dont want it to rattle, sounds really bad
Old 10-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Racer

dynamat is VERY simple to install does wonders to drone out my aftermarket exhaust also i lined my entire trunk with it its suprisingly heavy

Quick Reply: What subwoofer do you run and why?