Viper 791xv Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006 | 04:29 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Viper 791xv Question

Okay you alarm gurus, I have a Viper 791xv with remote start installed on my TL for a couple years now.

When I run the remote start in the winter, i try to unlock the doors while the car is running, and it doesn't always work. I've had to open with a key, make the remote start shut off by hitting the brake.

It only happens in the cold weather.. What is this?!?! 791 doesnt like the cold?

Thanks in advance.
Lou
Old 12-30-2006 | 09:27 PM
Instructor

what you're saying is, you hit the "unlock" button on the viper remote and the lights don't flash and the doors are not unlock?? have you try reseting it? i've installed many 791 units and never had that problem before. why do you have to hit the brakes to shut off the car if you gonna drive it off. why can't you just put the key in and turn it to on then put it in gear and drive?
Old 12-31-2006 | 10:44 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Originally Posted by bngu1
what you're saying is, you hit the "unlock" button on the viper remote and the lights don't flash and the doors are not unlock?? have you try reseting it? i've installed many 791 units and never had that problem before. why do you have to hit the brakes to shut off the car if you gonna drive it off. why can't you just put the key in and turn it to on then put it in gear and drive?

Sorry I was alittle unclear with that part of the explanation.

When I remote start the car, the unlock won't do anything(only when its cold). So I use my key to open, and since the alarm wasn't turned off, it sets it off. I hit the brake without the key in the switch (which shuts off the car), then I'm able to deactivate the alarm with the unlock button.

I hope this makes sense, I know it kinda sounds all over the place.
Old 12-31-2006 | 10:55 AM
Instructor

try resetting it or unplug the alarm or the battery of the car for 30 minutes. see if that helps if not then you have a bad unit. oh try posting this in www.the12volt.com i'm sure you will get alot more replies there.
Old 12-31-2006 | 03:46 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Have you taken it back to the dealer that installed it? What did he say?
Old 01-17-2007 | 10:51 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Definately wouldnt go back there. wasn't a fan.

Reseting, you mean unplug harness then replug? Would I need to reprogram remotes?

And thanks for the responses by the way gents.
Old 01-17-2007 | 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TlsNavi03
Definately wouldnt go back there. wasn't a fan.

Reseting, you mean unplug harness then replug? Would I need to reprogram remotes?

And thanks for the responses by the way gents.
You shouldn't have to reprogram the remotes. But if you do, for some reason, it's really easy. I've never heard of this happening. It does sound like a problem with the brain. Resetting it probably won't help. I would take it back to your installer and have them swap it out. Make sure that it's cold enough that you can replicate the problem in front of them. Customers lie almost as much as salespeople do!

Keep us up to date.
Old 01-17-2007 | 06:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by uncald4
Customers lie almost as much as salespeople do!
that is so true!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2007 | 06:57 AM
2nd Gear

Viper 791

Originally Posted by TlsNavi03
Sorry I was alittle unclear with that part of the explanation.

When I remote start the car, the unlock won't do anything(only when its cold). So I use my key to open, and since the alarm wasn't turned off, it sets it off. I hit the brake without the key in the switch (which shuts off the car), then I'm able to deactivate the alarm with the unlock button.

I hope this makes sense, I know it kinda sounds all over the place.
I had exactly the same problem with my Expedition 2006. I tried to change the main unit, remote controller, antenna, but still same condition. Maybe the hareness is not good. I will try to charge all the harness connected and see if it will work.
Old 03-07-2007 | 08:08 PM
Racer

its possible that the contacts inside the key fab have become corroded or become loose. i dont know if that has anything to do with the temp. try twisting the remote a little while pushing the unlock. also try spraying some electronics cleaner/alcohol on the fab and let it dry completely.

other than that man i couldnt tell you, first time ive heard of that also
Old 03-08-2007 | 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Viper 791XV

Originally Posted by ice2fire11
its possible that the contacts inside the key fab have become corroded or become loose. i dont know if that has anything to do with the temp. try twisting the remote a little while pushing the unlock. also try spraying some electronics cleaner/alcohol on the fab and let it dry completely.

other than that man i couldnt tell you, first time ive heard of that also
I tryed everything, charge the main unit, remote controller, antenna but nothing changed. But when I disconnect the wire of antenna and reconnect it, it worked!
Also I changed the location of the antenna. It's already a week, but no problem now.
Old 03-10-2007 | 09:19 PM
Racer

sweet... with those things its hell if something goes wrong and it is usually something you least expect and in your case it proves that theory. hit me up if you have any other questions.