TL: Very very annoying problem! Plz chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very very annoying problem! Plz chime in!

Alright guys, im running a pair of Audiobahn subs mated to an Audiobahn amp. The equipment is ran through an Alpine HU. I have had all my equipment installed for a bit over a year with no problems. However right now the most annoying thing is frustrating the hell out of me!

I get in the car, and my sub is not working (i connected only 1 since 2 12s is a bit too much). So i check all the connections pos/neg, input, wires to the sub.. everything. Amp light is on but the sub is a no go. Logically, the first thing i did is connect the second sub which i never use... no dice... Then i cleaned and sanded the battery terminals and checked the pre-amp fuse and amp fuse.. Everything is good. The connection is there, fuses are fine... Next step... I took out the HU to check if somehow someway my rca's or input went loose.. Still nothing. After that i called a buddy of mine to test run the speakers with his amp... again..... nothing!

What is the problem? I have pretty much went through every possible option other than hooking up the amp to a completely different set of speakers... Other than that, im lost.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I'd rather be golfing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just the sub that isnt working? Do you have front/rear that are? If so, are they working off the HU or off an amp? Not sure what Alpine HU you have so I don't know the outs... you've checked all the settings on the HU and x-over so that the hi/lo signals out are routing properly, no settings are stopping the signal from being fed to the sub amp? How about the sub amp, any switches that tell it if its being fed a hi or low signal?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When in doubt, simplify. First test the amp on an ipod or another source directly into the RCA's.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
sounds like the subs are blown since you tried to test the subs out on your friends amp too
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Racer

^tested another speaker through the amp yesterday... got nothing. Im so lost its not even funny.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Pro

again, take the source out of the equation and hook up an ipod or portable CD player through a phono-to-RCA cable. Then try a known good speaker (doesn't need to be a sub). Move slow, one piece at a time.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Racer

Alright, well i took the car to an audio/vid/tint place. They are official dealers of some of the major brands like Alpine, JL, Kicker etc. Been in business for awhile. Anyways guy walked around, checked all the connections, tested the subs (both work) tested the amp (worked), checked the fuse it seemed good but when he took it out it burned and lost connection on the inside. So he put in a new fuse and everything was fine. I told him to wait 20 mins so i can withdraw some money, and left the box at the shop as a grant that i will come back. While driving back i hear a pop, hoping that it was a fuse i rushed to back to the shop, opened the trunk and woooops... amp fried! Guy did not screw in the connectors properly and as i understand put a stronger fuse than needed (80 amp on a 4 ch amplifier. I normally dont go over 50amp)

So these guys are like "ohh man we used to deal with audionbahn amps and this happens all the time" Perhaps, but ive had the power wire come out on multiple occasions, burning several fuses but never the amp. Finally, these guys said that it will be around $80 to fix (if they can fix it) or they will "hook me up with a deal on a new amp" "f$%k that" i said, fix my amp. Anyways, i honestly dont want to pay the full price for fixing the amp... The most ill go is halfsies and i feel that still will be a ripoff for something that was not my fault. What do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Racer

Furthermore, since i had the short an annoying sound is coming out of my back speakers when a song is changed. It sounds like somebody taking the input wire in and out. It lasts less than a second but annoying as hell. Did anybody ever encounter this?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Pro

bye-bye ground (somewhere), probably in the deck.

The rest? Eh... this is why I gave you the www.bcae1.com site, never trust anyone but your damn self.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Racer

Oh man, i was thinking the same thing, really hoping its not the HU but most likely is, if not that then stock amp... Both a P.I.T.A.

fourthmetal is there anyway to check where the exactly the ground blew or am I royally screwed with this one? Well the only way i can think of is disconnecting the deck and putting it in another car (luckily my friend has a jetta with an alpine HU as well= no need for buying a harness) Any other way though?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Pro

best way is to set up a test bench w/ a battery.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Racer

^Sry, could you elaborate on that... What do you mean by test bench?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dykyy
^Sry, could you elaborate on that... What do you mean by test bench?

Set up a test bench. 12v power, ground to battery, plug things in (don't f-up), and test.