tweeter location

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:56 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tweeter location

whats up guys. i just got the polk db's and i dont know where to put the tweeters. i had them in my rear view mirror panels in ma old honda, but that looks kinda ghetto. but at the same time i dont want to put them into the door because thats a big hole in the door panel. any suggestions on what the best place is?! if it sounds better i na certain place ill mount them there.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for the best imaging the tweeter should be located as close to the midbass as possible.. if you dont want to cut the door panel why not go get some kickpanels...
Old 06-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by shawhite
for the best imaging the tweeter should be located as close to the midbass as possible.. if you dont want to cut the door panel why not go get some kickpanels...

do they make them for our car?!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

qlogic makes them for the 98 and up accord which will fit the 99-03 tl..
Old 06-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tpatel
whats up guys. i just got the polk db's and i dont know where to put the tweeters. i had them in my rear view mirror panels in ma old honda, but that looks kinda ghetto. but at the same time i dont want to put them into the door because thats a big hole in the door panel. any suggestions on what the best place is?! if it sounds better i na certain place ill mount them there.
You can also remove the factory grille, cut the hole for the tweeter, and then rewrap the grille with the tweeter underneathe it. We've done it that way too and it looks nice and clean.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:57 AM
10th Gear

i just installed a set of polk MM6 in the door and flush mounted the tweeter in between the door handle and the dash. i think that flush mounting has the cleanest look. only reason that held me back for cutting a hole in the door panel is if i sold the car i would want to uninstall my polk speakers, but wal-mart sells tweets for like $15. i could always cover up the hole with cheap tweeters and not worry about leaving a big hole.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine are right by my mids in all 4 doors....

Old 07-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
OU, how u like to 165V2's ? I am thinking about getting those but I'm having a hard time deciding between a set of MBQuarts. I heard with the focals, you need a sealed enclosur to get the best sound out of them. Did you just drop yours in or did you do something "special"?
Old 07-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
OU Sig,

Do you have any install pics or can you describe how you did that great flush mount? I need to do the same thing but an d a little weery on cutting the grille area.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Mounting the tweeters in the doors is probably the worst place since the pathlength difference between the driver and passenger side is too large. The kickpanel idea is OK but that will require a fair bit of fabrication since there is a large amount of wiring behind the driver side kickpanel. Also, having the speakers in the kickpanel area means there will most likely be some image height issues especially far left and right. If you don't have long legs like me then the drivers leg and steering wheel will affect sound quality as well. I would measure the distance from the A-pillar (3-4 inches high near the stock tweeter) to the head rest and the same from the kickpanel. If the pathlenth is reasonable (~6 inches or less) then you can place the mid/midbass in the kickpanel and the tweeter in the A-piller. Pathlength will not be a big issue and you will preserve the image height on top of the dash since the tweeters will have virtually nothing blocking the path of the sound. Having the tweeter firing parallel to the windshild is a better alternative than straight into the windshield like the stock tweeters.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by jpadilla
OU, how u like to 165V2's ? I am thinking about getting those but I'm having a hard time deciding between a set of MBQuarts. I heard with the focals, you need a sealed enclosur to get the best sound out of them. Did you just drop yours in or did you do something "special"?
I love the speakers, and with 100 watts/speaker RMS they play wonderfully. I also like MBQuarts, but I was worried about mounting depth. The Focals have a "slim" series - the ones I have so they fit in without even making a spacer ring. A sealed enclosure will help any speaker, but for the most part you cant tell. I just put dynamat all over and I think that does just fine.

And yes, they are just put right in...well we did have to cut the stock hole location some, but thats it.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
OU Sig,

Do you have any install pics or can you describe how you did that great flush mount? I need to do the same thing but an d a little weery on cutting the grille area.

Thanks
Sorry no more pics of that, but all you do is carefully cut the plastic behind the grill cover...kinda pull it out to give yourself some room, then just make a few cuts in the cloth..dont actually cut it out, just enough so you can push the tweeter into the hole and it will hold the cloth tight itself...dont worry it was easy, just TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by swtjazz
Mounting the tweeters in the doors is probably the worst place since the pathlength difference between the driver and passenger side is too large. The kickpanel idea is OK but that will require a fair bit of fabrication since there is a large amount of wiring behind the driver side kickpanel. Also, having the speakers in the kickpanel area means there will most likely be some image height issues especially far left and right. If you don't have long legs like me then the drivers leg and steering wheel will affect sound quality as well. I would measure the distance from the A-pillar (3-4 inches high near the stock tweeter) to the head rest and the same from the kickpanel. If the pathlenth is reasonable (~6 inches or less) then you can place the mid/midbass in the kickpanel and the tweeter in the A-piller. Pathlength will not be a big issue and you will preserve the image height on top of the dash since the tweeters will have virtually nothing blocking the path of the sound. Having the tweeter firing parallel to the windshild is a better alternative than straight into the windshield like the stock tweeters.

you are getting a little bit anal if you ask me. I think it sounds great and you are really supposed to keep the tweeter as close to the mid as possible. I mean look at your stereo at home, most of us dont get out the measuring tape for our speaker location. And anyway, if you are that anal, my Alpine has time correction just for that reason so its all good!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Here's how I mounted my tweets.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by OU Sig
Sorry no more pics of that, but all you do is carefully cut the plastic behind the grill cover...kinda pull it out to give yourself some room, then just make a few cuts in the cloth..dont actually cut it out, just enough so you can push the tweeter into the hole and it will hold the cloth tight itself...dont worry it was easy, just TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

Ok I am confused. I went ahead and took off the front door panels today. when I turned the door panel over it seems that about half of the speaker grille area is solid plastic. There does not seem to be anywhere to insert the tweeter where there is actual perforated plastic.

So do you mean to cut the solid plastic area carefully until I hit speaker mesh, then put a little X and insert the tweeter?

Thanks for the help again.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:31 AM
Boomer SOONER

Ya sorry, you will cut the solid plastic part, then cut the mesh for the speaker to fit snuggly into.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:16 AM
Pro

Any suggestions on how to cut the plastic without cutting through the fabric?

What did you use to cut it carefully?
I was thinking dremel but still don't know what to use. is there a way of pulling the fabric grille just leaving the plastic so I don't have to worry about the fabric?

I am a little scared, if you cannot tell!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Boomer SOONER

YA a dremel would work or an exacto knife, but a dremel would be best because it is powerfull and you can control it better. And no, the fabric is just glued all down, so it would probably mess it up to try to pull it off.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by parvo99
Here's how I mounted my tweets.

yea that looks great if you have a black interior cus it matches the tweeter color. i have the green color interior and a black tweeter housing and tweeter would kind of be outta place. any thoughts?!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
tpatel, you can paint the tweeter plastic part to match your interior.

Parvo99,

that's where i want to mount my tweeters. Was it easy to drill that part of the door from the back? DO u have any install pics?

thanks..
Old 07-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTEC11
tpatel, you can paint the tweeter plastic part to match your interior.

Parvo99,

that's where i want to mount my tweeters. Was it easy to drill that part of the door from the back? DO u have any install pics?

thanks..
Yeah, I think painting the tweeter would be the best bet to get it to match your interior.

It was fairly easy to drill the door. It's just solid white plastic behind the panel. I just used one of those circle cutter attachements for drills. Don't know what it's called :o .

The only thing that I was concerned about was the driver's side tweeter. You can see it's right below the memory seat buttons, and behind there is the plug, and I was concerned about the clearance between the plug and tweeter, but it cleared it just fine. I ended up drilling the hole a little low, and you can see the mounting ring sticks out a little bit past where the door panel has the sharp crease. I was thinking about mounting it low next to the mids, but it just seemed to be right where my leg would block it. If you want to mount it low, I saw another acura owner who mounted it stealth behind the mesh.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Drifting

My tweeters are actually low right now, But i wanted to move them up. Like around where you have yours mounted. Are you talking about a hole saw? Was it easy to drill/cut through the vinal part of the door without many tears?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Yeah, that's what it is, a hole saw . It drilled through the vinyl fine. No tearing or anything.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro

Parvo where did you mount the crossovers?

I am wondering how you would mount the tweeter behind the mesh without it being seen. Hmmmm may have to see about that.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Instructor

I was planning on doing a nice trunk install, but got lazy and just installed my crossovers in the doors. I made a bracket with plexiglass and mounted it in the big opening in the door. Just take off the big plastic piece from the door panel that takes up that space. I found the guy who installed behind the mesh. Here's his cardomain page.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=164157&page=5
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro

Ok I read that website. He did a great job.

Ok here are my questions. There is one thing I didn't even think about....Rain, Snow, Moisture.

How do I protect the speakers from that? Do I have to use those white plastic things that the original speakers came in?

I am almost ready to do this, but now I am rethinking how to do this!

Thanks Again
Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro

Another Question...do I have to cut all the wires to the Bose Amp now?

Or can I just leave it in there?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Instructor

I didn't protect the back of the speaker at all. I don't think too much moisture gets in there. At least not to the point that it'd be dripping on the speaker. I haven't had any problems so far. As for the wiring, if you get a wiring harness, it will bypass all the bose stuff. So, you can either use the stock wiring or run new wire.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro

I have a cable wiring harness already. It plugs into the stock bose deck, then the other end is 4 rca's, one for each speaker.

Then it has an adapter at the end for me to plug the original wire harness adapter into it. I am wondering if I need to plug that end in. I don't see any use to that.

If I am not using the Bose amp, speakers, or wiring, then what would be the reason to use that end for the original harness.

If I remember correctly the antenna plugs in a different place, not the harness.

The blitzsafe plugs into the additional port.

WAIT A SEC....where would the stock head unit get it's power if I don't plug the original harness in the other end???

Is there a different plug/wire for the power to the HU?

Now I am really confused

Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 08:49 AM
2002 TL-S

Here are mine - a little high for the purists, but I am very happy with both the way they sound and the looks. The Polks are also VERY thin, and are able to fit behind the factory plastic without any other work. Plus the colors match.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

mounting tweeter as near as possible is only for phase issue. different pathlengh between tweeter and woofer can cause some kind of cancellation around the crossover point, but it's far less damaging the sound than 90° off-axis drivers. with drivers mounted flat in the doors, you got almost an on-axis response from the passenger side (when seating in the drivers seat) and and absolute off-axis response from the driver side. woofer axis is less critical, but a average 6½ begin to be directionnal around 1khz, and in the 3-4 khz range, wich is the upper vocal range, it is very directionnal, so the right side will sound louder than the left even if it is nearer to you, and it will screw the imaging. same thing happen with tweeter. they play wide at the crossover frequency and are more and more directional as the frequencies goes up. best bet is to mount tweeter in the kickpanel aimed toward the top center of the car, if you can deal with low imaging, or on the dash for better result. It's not about beign anal, it's about getting every bit of it audio investment profiting to you. it's not worth paying 250-500$ for a component system and not installing it the best way you can.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Torkguy,

THat's how my tweeters are mounted; low and pointed up towards the two passengers (i'll have to take a pic). But the passenger tweeter also seems more on axis (for the driver) than the drivers tweeter. Probably to a lesser degree than mounting your tweeter on the door panel, but it exists. I was thinking of moving them up and mounting them where parvo installed his.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda Lover

QForms.... Really?

Has anyone actually tried to use the QForms pre-fab kick panels for the 98-02 Accord in a 99-03 TL?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

i know that value tl had them in his tl..
Old 07-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by shawhite
i know that value tl had them in his tl..
So they fit with the TL's panels? BTW, isn't it true that the qforms don't work with 6.5" speakers. I think it only takes speakers upto 6".
Old 07-29-2004, 08:17 PM
My baby's daddy

This has probably been kicked to death but, why not one more?

My goal is to not modify the look of the car or cause any changes that I can't put back. When I get my 05 (or newer) RL in several years, I will be moving the system there. I want to be able to easily restore the factory system and not have new holes that start to fall apart in a few years. (not that they will, just that they might)

front passenger door (ghetto, huh?!)

front driver door (ghetto, indeed!)

rear passenger door

see the tweet? c'mon.. look closer. Its behind the cloth!

Here.... I'll show you
Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
My baby's daddy

For the rears, use a hole saw to cut through the plastic backing from the inside out (of course, with the panel off)

You basically "chew" through the plastic. Once a groove is started, the circle starts to form. It doesn't take long, lighten up alot toward the end. When you are almost through, nibble real slow until you can pull the circle out. Then clean up with a sharp knife (I used the old stanley razon knife), the edges will be rough and choppy. Just push the cloth away so you don't cut it (and don't cut yourself).

Mount the tweet to the metal behind the hole.

p.s. place the door panel on a blanket or something soft so you don't scratch it.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Mounted here...

Rest of install can be found here: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=28937
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM
My baby's daddy

nice mat, nn!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Hey NSX,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, But I see that you have CDTs right? What model? I'm trying to get some now but I'm worried about the depth. Lookin at the HD-62's but they are 2 7/8 deep. Can I get away with a spacer without them hitting the factory drill? Will they stick out too much?