Tv

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tv

streets, is it feasable to put a sceen in my dask between the two vents? and how much labor do you charge on the rearview mirror tv install?
Old 11-29-2001, 02:02 AM
Banned

"streets, is it feasable to put a sceen in my dask between the two vents? and how much labor do you charge on the rearview mirror tv install?"

by dask do you mean dash? and when you say rearview mirror TV install what do you mean...out of sheer curiosity...you mean rearview mirror, aka the mirror that sticks to your windshield letting you look through your rear windshield?

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 02:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i believe that is the mirror he is talking about i remember seeing a post where streets put a 2.5' screen in the rear view mirror it was mad nice..here is a post i found in the acura cl board that has the price and a picture of the rear view mirror with the screen in it....

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ar+view+mirror

nice work ron...like usual...
Old 11-29-2001, 02:28 AM
Banned

shawhite:
$950...yep that's Street for ya expensive but quality. Screen wouldn't be more than $200 though...with all the hookups etc...at least from where I get them (and where my touchscreen is coming from)...so I wonder what cost so much...

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 02:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the custom installation and know how is what cost so much but streets does real quality work and he is very knowlegable....oh by the way where are you getting your screens from...i was think about getting some screens for my headrest but have to finish my install above the stock headunit (like snook/tim first 3 pics in the gallery)... first...maybe i will get around to it this weekend....
Old 11-29-2001, 06:17 AM
Banned

shawhite:
I get them from a variety of places...but some inexpensive and high quality ones are EZScreen, NESA, and XO Vision...

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Of course we can put a screen in between the two vents..... anything you want
Old 11-29-2001, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by shawhite
i believe that is the mirror he is talking about i remember seeing a post where streets put a 2.5' screen in the rear view mirror it was mad nice..here is a post i found in the acura cl board that has the price and a picture of the rear view mirror with the screen in it....

that thing is sooooo small i cant see a reson to pay so much for it...
Old 11-29-2001, 02:04 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Austin, what is the touchscreen that you are talking about? YOu mean the navi touchscreen?

AdamR

Originally posted by Austin519
shawhite:
I get them from a variety of places...but some inexpensive and high quality ones are EZScreen, NESA, and XO Vision...

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 02:16 PM
Banned

digitaldm:
"Austin, what is the touchscreen that you are talking about? YOu mean the navi touchscreen?

AdamR"

No, I'm talking about one I'm building to control my car. I don't have navi (waste of money)...

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001, 02:17 PM
Banned

So, Systek, how much do you think it should cost? That monitor is installed BEHIND the glass in a FACTORY mirror.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:20 PM

Austin, tell me a little more about your project. It sounds quite interesting. You say you are going to control the car. What parts of the car? Are you going to interface it with a PC or are you developing something totally computer independant.

I AM VERY INTERSTED!

AdamR
Old 11-29-2001, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

im not insulting you, so dont turn up the heat...!

Originally posted by StreetEffectz
So, Systek, how much do you think it should cost? That monitor is installed BEHIND the glass in a FACTORY mirror.
all im saying is that if i paid $2200 for my 53" hdtv...why would i pay almost half for something that small??? id rather use my laptop in the car and not worry about it getting stolen cause i can take it out..and often do on my road trips...
Old 11-29-2001, 02:36 PM

Im guessing its primarilly for show.

AdamR
Old 11-29-2001, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

guess is an understatement..!

Originally posted by digitalgm
Im guessing its primarilly for show.

AdamR
Old 11-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Re: im not insulting you, so dont turn up the heat...!

Originally posted by systek

all im saying is that if i paid $2200 for my 53" hdtv...why would i pay almost half for something that small??? id rather use my laptop in the car and not worry about it getting stolen cause i can take it out..and often do on my road trips...
It's definitely for show. But you also have to consider all the work and technology that goes into making something like that possible. The size and resolution of that 2.5" screen is incredible. And the fact that it sits flush BEHIND the mirror is simply amazing.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: im not insulting you, so dont turn up the heat...!

Originally posted by Dave@SE

It's definitely for show. But you also have to consider all the work and technology that goes into making something like that possible. The size and resolution of that 2.5" screen is incredible. And the fact that it sits flush BEHIND the mirror is simply amazing.
YEH YEH YEH, and it's cool until u try to make out the images...!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 04:06 PM
Racer

Damn....thats tight as he**!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:31 AM
Banned

HUH? Cool until you try to make out the images? I bet that tiny little monitor has a higher resolution than your 53" HDTV when comparing size to dpi ratio.

And I'm not insulted.....not at all.....it's a custom piece, hence the high price tag....if you're into it, you're into it....if you're not, you're not.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:12 AM
Banned

Street:
I dunno man...it seems more like I was laughing at your prices more than systek...and I even pointed out that you charge that because of the amount of work that goes into it and needed equipment, materials etc, and that it will never be cheaper for someone else to do it than yourself because frankly...unless it's you, they're out to make money off you. I think systek was gawking at the 2.5" screen price, definitely in a size to price ratio. I will have to say Street I seriously doubt that screen has a higher dpi resolution. You lose dpi res when you get smaller and smaller screens. I will say though...dropping that much on a 2.5" screen is for those that are so filthy rich they should be donating to charity instead.

systek:
I would have to agree with you on the making out the images thing. I will say though, one thing I miss on our cars is the compass and all that I had in my Explorer. To remedy this I was thinking about doing something extremely similar to this project. I've done a good bit of glassword and that's what this entails. I will however go one step better than street's install (or at least try to) and coat it with a material that's mirror when there's no backlight and clear when there is. So unless it's on you have a perfect mirror. Cool eh? Then when it's on I'll have my 3D compass going, or what my next turn is...something aside from watching TV on it

digitalgm:
Well...check my sig before you ask anything else that should give you a hint. After that...I'm interfacing the computer with my stereo, my screens, GPS, ignition, my ECU, my car alarm, wireless LAN, voice recognition, fingerprint recognition...just about everything you can imagine. And for all those with navi...it costs less than you paid for navi sucks eh?

Austin519
Old 11-30-2001, 03:17 AM
Pro

Does the auto dimming feature still work with this installed?

Bryan

Originally posted by shawhite

Old 11-30-2001, 07:39 AM

Austin519 : tell me more.... I am very interested. Do you have anything working yet?

AdamR
Old 11-30-2001, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by digitalgm
Austin519 : tell me more.... I am very interested. Do you have anything working yet?

AdamR

of course not, he's all talk, jajajaja

j/k....as long as he doesnt have as many problems as he did trying to take off the mufflers, he should have it up in no time....
Old 11-30-2001, 10:16 AM
Banned

You guys are all way to serious...LOL, I'm just messin' with you. High price tag or not, it's HOT...yes, autodimming still works. It's all labor, that's what you pay for, bottom line.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

actually, take it a step ive never seen...

why not do a HUD for a widescreen that fills up the windshield..now that would be cool

You guys are all way to serious...LOL, I'm just messin' with you. High price tag or not, it's HOT...yes, autodimming still works. It's all labor, that's what you pay for, bottom line.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Banned

Already in the works but ssshhhhh......LOL
Old 11-30-2001, 11:09 PM
Banned

digitalgm:
The computer is built...and I just tested it this weekend to run all my amps fine. I just finished getting all my equipment in...unfortunately it's final exam time for college kids. So I hope to finish this over christmas break.

systek:
"of course not, he's all talk, jajajaja
j/k....as long as he doesnt have as many problems as he did trying to take off the mufflers, he should have it up in no time...."
Bastard Hee hee...don't be sassing me now boy. Just because I'm more computer geek than mechanic...and this is what I get!

Street:
Yeah, it is all labor...and I hope I made that clear in my post. The screen isn't the expensive part...it's what goes into cutting the glass to JUST the right opening, fitting everything in there...all that good stuff.

another systek:
"why not do a HUD for a widescreen that fills up the windshield..now that would be cool "

Once the computer is done it should be pretty simple for me to do this...I was thinking an auto racing game....the front windshield is a full screen HUD...with force feedback through the steering wheel, as well as actuators letting you use the gas pedal and break and steering wheel to drive. Buttons on the steering wheel would be other misc. buttons in the game.

Oh yeah...and this is all once I win the lottery and after I find a ship of buried treasure. Hahaha...and you thought the 2.5" LCD was expensive...of course, I'd be happy to do it for anyone...

Austin519
Old 12-02-2001, 10:18 AM
Advanced

systek:
I would have to agree with you on the making out the images thing.
[/B]
The picture on this screen is one of the clearest pictures you will see. The resolution at that small of a screen is incredible. There is no problem making out the images. Even text on the screen can be read. Obviously neither of you has seen this screen in person.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:13 AM
Banned

Dave@se:
"The picture on this screen is one of the clearest pictures you will see. The resolution at that small of a screen is incredible. There is no problem making out the images. Even text on the screen can be read. Obviously neither of you has seen this screen in person"

Not true...I have installed many a screen...and I have actually installed some similar to the ones I think Street is using in my team's solar car. I will tell you, no matter how high a resolution, there is no way from a distance of a few feet, you will be able to read say, the ticker across the bottom of the screen in a newscast. At that small of a size, it becomes more an issue of physical size, not resolution.

Austin519
Old 12-03-2001, 08:09 AM
Banned

LOL, of course you can't read it from a distance....this is a show car, not a movie theatre Well, it's close to a movie theatre, you just have limited seating
Old 12-03-2001, 06:35 PM
Banned

Street:
"LOL, of course you can't read it from a distance....this is a show car, not a movie theatre Well, it's close to a movie theatre, you just have limited seating"

Good point Your next project should be to turn a TLS into a full rolling THX and widescreen movie theater...complete with popcorn popper

Austin519
Old 12-04-2001, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Street:
"LOL, of course you can't read it from a distance....this is a show car, not a movie theatre Well, it's close to a movie theatre, you just have limited seating"

Good point Your next project should be to turn a TLS into a full rolling THX and widescreen movie theater...complete with popcorn popper

Austin519
im hoping to eventually do just that, to a point....
Old 12-09-2001, 04:36 AM
Pro

Sorry to keep this old thread going but now I am curious, does the light from the monitor cause the mirrior to dim at night time? That would be annoying. Please let me know, I may be interested in having you do this for me

Bryan

Old 12-09-2001, 05:40 AM
Banned

autophile1:

Although I'm sure you wanted Street to answer this one...just think about it. The sensor that dims the rearview mirror is at the bottom in the center of the mirror. The screen is above it and on the far right. The light from the screen would somehow have to shine out and then bend around in a 180 degree turn and come back and hit the sensor...so what do you think?

Austin519