Tuning For Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning For Dummies

im sure there are a lot of people out there just like me letting the potential of their, in my case at least, half-ass system set up go by. if anyone is able to help out on this thread please do. today i went out and played with my mp for about 5 minutes trying to see if i could it for my sub to get any better...didnt work. one of my problems was that i dont know what features affect what kind of sound will be produced; which leads me to the purpose of this thread.
maybe this is a tall order, but if anyone could just define in joe schmo terms what each of these things do when tweaked, it would benefit all us not smart but wish they were audio guys...

terms in question

Input - including 1 ch or 2 ch selection, adjusting input level, gain adjustment

Low Pass Filter - what on/off does, what adjusting will do

Subsonic Filter - what on/off does, what adjusting frequency does

Parametric Equalizer - what on/off does, adjusting the frequency does, what adjusting the width does, what adjusting the level does

Bass Compensation - what having on/off does

Time Correction - what having on/off does, what adjusting delay time will do

Phase - what does this do

im sure this amp has great features, but i dont know what they do so i cant get my moneys worth. i bet theres a lot of people like me that just deal with whats given without ever knowing what they can really do.... any help at all in explaining these things would be greatly appreciated by all the submissees of the amp tuning world
Old 08-25-2004, 08:49 PM
2004 CG TSX w/ At & NAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put the input on 1ch and adjust the gain to sound at a good level for the normal volume u listen at. dont use the gain to increase bass
low pass filter on -this will make only the low freq come to the subs, adjusting it will tell the amp what freq to cut off the bass at
subsonic and parametric eq sound like alipne specifics. leave the parametric off and play around with the sub sonic on
try bass comp off and see how it sounds. (i thinkin this is for 2ch mode and doors)
Time correction off.....
Phase - what are ur options. leave at the amp default
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Future Seminole

awesome, thanx for the help. when i have a good amount of time ill play around with it to see what sounds best. it was just hard tweaking things without knowing what they do and if they could cause any kinda harm
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratsx03
terms in question

Input - including 1 ch or 2 ch selection, adjusting input level, gain adjustment
Input level is sort of explained in the owner's manual, should be enough to get you started. I don't see 1ch or 2 ch selection(in the manual), I'm assuming it's on the input side, which would mean it would depend on what signal you're putting into it. Like plugging in stereo RCAs, use 2 channel, if your head unit is using one channel, sub out style then use 1 channel..

Low Pass Filter - what on/off does, what adjusting will do
Is your box sealed or ported, are you using passive crossovers(coils) on your subs?
Assuming you're using sealed box, no coils, then you want the low pass filter on, this is your crossover...Not knowing what type of music you listen too, I'd say start at 90Hz, and move it up and down from there, listening to the music you like...

Subsonic Filter - what on/off does, what adjusting frequency does
subsonic basically means sound you can't hear, so a subsonic filter filters out sound you can't hear, thus the amp will save energy by only playing sound you can hear. So as a starting point, turn it on and set it to 20hz.

Parametric Equalizer - what on/off does, adjusting the frequency does, what adjusting the width does, what adjusting the level does
I honestly don't know how to easily explain this, turn it on and play with it(after you set everything else)...

Bass Compensation - what having on/off does
This is probably some bass enhancement feature, I've personally never liked Epicenters or any type of bass boost, I'd leave it off to start...

Time Correction - what having on/off does, what adjusting delay time will do
You shouldn't need this for a subwoofer, I'd leave it off...

Phase - what does this do

Phase is when you wire your amp to sub, positive to positive and negative to negative(generally known as the correct way) you are "in-phase"....if you wire your sub backwards pos to neg...you will be "out-of-phase".....this is easy to see if you have 2 subs next to each other and one is wired in and the other wired out, then you'll see one sub push at the same time the other sub pulls... SO basically what this will do will flip the phase for you...so if either you wired your sub wrong and didn't feel like pulling it back out to fix the wires, you could just flip it in the amp(180), OR sometimes people purposely run speakers out-of-phase. but that's more then you need explained right now...So basically, if your subs are wired correctly, just run "in-phase" or "0"..
Old 08-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Future Seminole

awesome.. great explanation of the features!! thanx a million.