TSX Speaker Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Ultra User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Speaker Swap?

I have a pair of Alpine 6x9's, as well as a pair if Alpine Componenets (6.5 + Tweeter). I know the 6x9 will fit in the back, but is there any use for my Component speakers? How Do I go about Replacing speakers?? Is it something I could do myself? Im pretty savy with electronics, but never played around with car audio. Thanks in advanced
Old 12-02-2004, 02:37 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
In the Audio forum you will find many posts on how to do this. Surf around, lotsa good stuff. The short answer is yes, you can, and many have.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Ultra User

k i assume that means this is repost (sorry bout that)..... after reading some threads, im still unclear if a complete speakers swap (with no other changes) is a worthy upgrade
Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

I think most people who have swapped the speakers think it is worthwhile. I plan on doing it eventually, but haven't yet.

Read this: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16927
Old 12-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
elduderino, so what do you recommend if I want to keep everything stock, and only swap the 6x9's? I know you don't recommend it due to the weak factory amp, but what would be the best bet in terms of matching 6x9 speakers?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to Audio & Video.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you components are the Type S, i believe they will fit without any door modification. Unfortunatley if you have the Type Rs like me, youll have to use a spacer or cut the door. Its a pretty simple install, the hardest part is taking off the door, but theres a lot of pics on the forum of how you do it. Should be relatively simple
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
elduderino, so what do you recommend if I want to keep everything stock, and only swap the 6x9's? I know you don't recommend it due to the weak factory amp, but what would be the best bet in terms of matching 6x9 speakers?
The 6x9's only play bass, so you want a pair that will give you decent sound for the bass.

I think Eld usually recommends a set of the MBQuart RCE59 (something like that) components. You can take the highs off of the speakers and ebay them. Then you are just left with 6x9 woofers.

Eld should be around soon...to give you more info though. This all I remember right now....
Old 12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
VP Electricity

I've never used the MB Quart RCE269 6x9 woofer with just the OE amp. I figure the woofer is far less efficent, or less loud at the same volume setting, than the factory speakers, so if you only replaced the 6x9s, your bass would probably sound quieter.

The 6x9 woofers in the car are intended to only play bass. Most 6x9s are intended to play mids and bass, and I suspect that even though the OE amp sends them low notes, they tend to play louder mids than the OE woofers due to being louder than the OE woofers above their crossover point already. At any rate, if all you were going to do was replace the 6x9s, two things:

1) You want a speaker similar in efficency to the OE woofer, or higher. The Alpine S speakers seem popular in this regard. I've never used them.

2) You will eventually decide that you want to change more. We all do. I don't think anyone here has been happy with replacing a pair of speakers, especially those.

I currently have a set of 6x9 woofers in the TSX that are samples from a speaker supplier who assembled them according to my request. They would probably retail for around $125 a pair... but they are woofers only, poly cone with some titanium fairy-dust coating, butyl-santoprene type surround for longer life, bumped back plate on the magnet for longer throw without hard bottoming out internally, vented pole piece for better cooling of the voice coil (both of those are not that common in a 6x9 speaker). The holes were a hair off for the Acura and I had to drill the rear deck holes out a hair and use screws and speed clips to mount them (I was OK with this because the factory screws stripped the second time I used a tiny 1/4" driver ratchet to tighten them slightly, and so I needed to mount the speakers better anyway). Couldn't drill the speaker frames because there wouldn't have been anything for the screw head to hold down...

Anyway, if you wanted to try a set out, I could probably send you a pair... but I won't get any more until early January... it would be a free test, wouldn't want to run afoul of any dealer advertising rules (hi, Smitty: )
Old 12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I'm actually just looking for tight and rich bass, not neccessarily loud. In any case, as for speakers matching the factory amp, I guess one of the key is to watch for the sensitivity ratings. Do you know what is the rating on the OEM 6x9's? I think the TypeS's are 91dB?? I think 93 is usually the norm?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 PM
VP Electricity

There really is no norm, and most of the makers LIE about db/1W/1M ratings, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino

I currently have a set of 6x9 woofers in the TSX that are samples from a speaker supplier who assembled them according to my request. They would probably retail for around $125 a pair... but they are woofers only, poly cone with some titanium fairy-dust coating, butyl-santoprene type surround for longer life, bumped back plate on the magnet for longer throw without hard bottoming out internally, vented pole piece for better cooling of the voice coil (both of those are not that common in a 6x9 speaker). The holes were a hair off for the Acura and I had to drill the rear deck holes out a hair and use screws and speed clips to mount them (I was OK with this because the factory screws stripped the second time I used a tiny 1/4" driver ratchet to tighten them slightly, and so I needed to mount the speakers better anyway). Couldn't drill the speaker frames because there wouldn't have been anything for the screw head to hold down...

Anyway, if you wanted to try a set out, I could probably send you a pair... but I won't get any more until early January... it would be a free test, wouldn't want to run afoul of any dealer advertising rules (hi, Smitty: )
I might be interested in being a tester. Let me know what's up later.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Sile

The rear speakers are easy to do. Might as well, it is fun!
I put the Type-Ss back there. It cleaned the sound up a lot. Bass and all. Was worth the $90 or so. The rear doors are a lot easier than the fronts (which I havent done yet). Components up front are very important, some nice tweeters will do real well.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

what can I say, as long as it is free stuff..
Old 12-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Master in Science

I might sell my type R tweets in the near future. They are great for instruments, like jazz, but awful for techno and dance. The woofers are nice, but will require major rework, and their efficiency is pretty low. You need an amp with the type R's to really enjoy them.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Ultra User

Ok im probably gonna just go to circuit city.. lemme ask u guys a couple questions

From my old civic I have a pair of Polk EX3560 6.5" Components for the front, Polk EX369 6x9 for the back, but nothing for the rear doors. I dont want to spend crazy money, in fact Im only considering this cuz i already got most of the speakers lying around. I think wanna find something cheap on ebay, is there a problem if the backdoor has different speakers than the front door? For that matter does it matter if they are a little cheaper (the polks cost me $149)?

Also, the 6x9's i got are 3-way, I've read that 1-way is better... Should I sell my 3-ways and buy 1-ways? I also got a decent Kenwood 2-way amp, should I use it for the rear 6x9's or is that a stupid idea?

I realize this setup would crave more power, but I dont see how it wont sound better than what I got now anyway.. and if i get money down the line, I can always amp it or throw in a sub

Thanks for the help guys - i realize im asking a lot and that some of it may have been asked indirectly before but im a newb to this and would appreciate the help