TSX Problem After Adding Aftermarket Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Problem After Adding Aftermarket Amp

I have searched with no success as to the problem with my 2004 TSX. Using the instructions listed in the DIY section for adding RCA outputs, I connected my head unit to a JL Audio 300/4 amp. I plugged in only the front left and right door speakers to test that I had connected everything properly.

When I turn things on, I can hear sound out of the two speakers I connected however it is very, very faint. My neighbor, who knows some about car audio, took at look at it and says he sees no reason why it isn't working. He said as close as he can tell, the problem is probably coming from where I tapped into the head unit signals right before the amp. He said those were very low signals and had I used a LOC, I would have been able to boost the signal, increasing the overall output volume.

I thought I had read the instructions enough times and double checked my work, however I seem to have missed something here.

Can anyone help shed some light on this problem as I would GREATLY appreciate it?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Read my post on the correct way to bypass the TSX amp.
You do not need a LOC or a GLI with the JL amp.
Make sure you are referencing the connector pins correctly.
Unplug both sides of the factory amp.

Post a picture of you connector wiring.

jeff
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

I went back and rechecked all the pins. I do in fact, have everything connected correctly and still there is a very weak signal. I began trouble shooting by changing the rca cables, etc. Finally, I connected the inputs for the rear speakers (everything was connected the same as before with the only change being the rear rca connected into the amp's input rather than the front rca) and the speakers sounded with their proper volume.

So that means that my problems lies in the inputs for the front signals. I clipped the connections I had for the front left and right and made new connections with no success. I checked the wires to make sure they had not been damaged elsewhere but they seem to be fine.

I am very ashamed to say my wiring harness has been hacked to hell and back again. As my neighbor said when he saw it, "it looks like a bunch of rats have been chewing on the cables." I have tried to do a lot of repair work to fix my previous, unfortunate attempts.

Everything appears to be connected clean on the front signal wires and I even triple checked to make sure I absolutely had the right wires spliced. I even played with the fade to make sure I didn't simply have it faded to the rear.

Does this help any?

BTW, my neighbor is no longer helping me as he said I was stupid for bypassing the oem amp and not using a LOC.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read mercman's post, and make sure you're referencing the right thread, since you have a 2004, use elduderino's post here: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/instructions-install-shop-preamp-output-300209/

I am going to review all the info online here against my electrical manual and make sure the right pinouts are posted. I ran across an error in one of my posts yesterday, so I have taken some of the threads offline in the meantime to check.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Pro

I posted a photo and pin out of the 14 pin connector at the end of this post.
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/correct-way-bypass-tsx-audio-amp-360946/

Take a look at it and make sure you are not using the signal (-) pins as grounds. The outputs are differential and have no reference to ground. A ground connection (for the input signal) is not required. This applies to all years 2004-2006. Connect it exactly how I explained it and it will work. I would also toss the coaxial RCA interconnects and use the shielded twisted pair cable, again see my post. This is the correct cable for handling differential audio signals.

Reach has posted wiring diagrams and from what I have seen there are some differences in wire color from year to year but the pin assignments are the same. I would stay away from the other posts on the subject because the methods used are a source of many problems (you can see by reading the posts on the problems some have been having with noise and pops).

jeff
Old 03-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Cruisin'

I redid all the wiring according to your instructions, mercman, and I am VERY happy to say everything is now working perfectly. I can't thank everyone enough for the help!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SSTaylor
I redid all the wiring according to your instructions, mercman, and I am VERY happy to say everything is now working perfectly. I can't thank everyone enough for the help!
That’s great news! Enjoy your new sound system.

jeff