Trunk Woofer Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005 | 05:09 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Trunk Woofer Setup

i have seen lots of sick setups in peoples trunks, in person and online, show cars and just plain 200 dollar additions. i noticed that there are a few different ways things can be done, you can either set up your system as to where the woofers are facing reverse where it somewhat uses the whole trunk as a woofer enclosure itself

also there are other ways i was wondering about, maybe if you put two woofers on each side of the trunk and it could work as somewhat of a bandpass box just on a larger scale. i was just wondering what some really effective setups and what are the pros and cons of doing things in different ways...elduderino...streeteffectz? anyone?
Old 02-16-2005 | 05:19 PM
VP Electricity

One of the problems with putting woofs at the front of the trunk is that in some cars you get cancellation at the driver's seat. When this happens it can ususally be fixed by reversing the polarity of the speaker wires for the subs. (That's why a lot of amps have phase reversal switches.)

Quite often with 4-door sedans, facing the woofers backwards gives you the loudest sound... but when you are doing a show-type over-the-top system, with plenty of power, that's usually not the first priority - you figure you can overcome anything at that point.

You mentioned puttng woofers in the corners. I'm a big fan of corner-loading - when a woofer gets reflections off of three wall, that almost always means an big increase in output due to reinforced waves combining. THis is one of the reasons that Civic and VW hatchbacks are so easy to make sound sick - it's easy to make those cars bass monsters because the back end is a big horn that reinforces whatever bass you make.

Effectively, putting any woofer in a trunk creates a "bandpass"-type transfer function resonse at the driver's seat... but it's usually not something you plan on. I think you're talking about the output boost you can get out of a bandpass box... I wouldn't try to get that same kind of response, a trunk just isn't enough of a stiff airtight box to do something like that in on purpose.

I've seen guys build boxes in trunks and then port the trunk through the R deck.

Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's way disappointing. It's kinda random. Perhaps S/E has more experience at doing that and making it work, but I couldn't encourage it with any know-how I have.

Nowadays with folding R seats the trunk is really part of the pass compartment anyway...
Old 02-16-2005 | 05:32 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i was thinking just instead of crapping out with a cheap system that i would just get something worth the money, buy individual woofers and have something built that reflects from the far corners of the trunks so it would A) look nice and B) sound good, ive seen some pretty sick set ups too, and i figure ill spend around 600 for a beginner system, cause i honestly am just looking for something to boost me, because my friend has a VOLVO S60R with all the upgrades and that car has 2 woofers in the back and like we compared bass and it shook inside and out, mine shook not nearly half as good as his...

elduderino do u have any pics of ur setup?