TSX: Troubleshooting aftermarket sub/amp to factory deck

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Troubleshooting aftermarket sub/amp to factory deck

I am halfway through the process of hooking up a Rockford amp with two 12" pioneers into my Tsx. I have researched a bit, asked at audio places, searched the forum.

My '06 TSX is sitting all pulled apart in my garage waiting for me to finish the job. Right now my setup involves my sub and amp being hook up with a high level adapter to my factory deck. I van finish the job and seal her up. But this is not the idea setup for best sound.

My options I have learned are:
-use the stock with an adapter at the loss of quality, some pops etc when turning on car, and some interference from the alternator/ecu. In this scenerio I keep my steering wheel buttons (audio control/HFL blutooth- for free) and my pretty dash (for free). Of course my phone calls will now be backed up by thunder from my subs. (exaggeration lol.. I think)

-another option would be to buy an aftermarket deck. I would gain quality, an iPod control interface, and style. I would loose my steerig wheel volume control unless I bought the $150 adapter (only went to Futureshop mid install to find out whattey have), I would lose my blutooth buttons on the steering wheel unless I get the adapter that only works with pioneer/Sony/jvc and NOT alpine. And they tell me it would only give me answer phone capability and not voice commands. I would lose my 6 disc changer. I would lose my OEM aux input the placed in my centre console compartment. I would have to custom build a dash kit as non are available I'm told by a car audio specialty place (maybe their distributors only), or leave a dead stock deck and place the aftermarket in my second tray slot.

-another option that i was curious about is having my stock deck active along with my aftermarket deck. Is that possible? Can I use a "splitter" that plugs into my stock deck and aftermarket deck simultaneously? Or a variation of that sort? I imagin that the stock and aftermarket decks may compete to signal the speakers, unless there is a way for the aftermarket deck to receive all the data and clip the wires that send signal back to the component speakers and keep only the bass line ones intact? (I actually just thought about that last bit now lol)
O I could somehow rig the stock deck to have only functions like Bluetooth and clock function. Anything I can do about the disc changer?

I'm greatful of you've managed to read and follow this far. Any insights/suggestions would be much appreciated. I've spent all day learning how and trying to take apart my car. Just finished installing my injen cai... If you can help a tired owner out, I would be so happy.

Ps. Sry for spelling etc. iPhone isn't the best to write long stories.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Advanced

May be better to clip the stock deck wires as the aftermaket gives me more. I am sure with money and weeks for delivery time I could do anything. (find a kit etc) I just would like to close her up to male my return trip from
Calgary to Winnipeg tomorrow night.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just been living with the stock HU and living with the ECU/Alternator interference. Is this a grounding issue on my part, or is it inherent to taking the line-level signal going to the bose factory subwoofer amp?

Would a transformer in this line cut down on some of the noise? I know it might smooth out the transients a little and color the sound of what's going to come out of the subs, but if there was a DI box plugged into the line-level subwoofer out, that would eliminate the noise, right?
Or is there something else that can be added in-line to fix all the noise?
I know you can stop the thunder during your phone conversations by just putting a small switch on the remote lead.
Is your remote lead wired to the same one as the factory amp? Mine's under the dash, switched on with the car's ignition, and has a switch to cut it off . . . But changing the remote lead won't stop the interference either.

I'm really interested in this thread -- gotta know how to get my low end to stop popping and squealing.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Update:

I've got everything wired up and tried to used the sub and amp and we cannot seem to get power to the amp, so nothing is working. We then hooked up my cousin's amp and subs to my TSX connections and it worked fine. We took my amp and subs that would not power up and hooked it up to the connections in my cousin's 98 integra GSR and they power up and worked perfectly!

So:
My subs don't work in my 06 TSX and they DO work in his 98 integra.
His subs work in my 06 TSX and his 98 integra.

What is going on? Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be happening?

thx all
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
First off, if you are going to tap the speaker outputs to feed the sub amp then just run speaker wire and use an amp with a speaker level input.

Second, the amp and audio system in the TSX is on all the time to support the BT and NAV, some 2004 systems had a lot of popping from the BT systems when the audio unit was off. On these systems the remote wire to the stock amp was switched on and off (12 volt) to mute the sound. With the 2004 you need to tap this wire for your sub amps remote. On all other years this wire is switched with the key not the HU.

If you try to tap your sub in with a LOC before the factory amp you will introduce noise both in the sub and the channels you tapped. The audio lines between the HU and amp are balanced and need to stay that way; tapping into them is like connecting a noise antenna.

Most people run the gain on the sub amp way too high, this makes the problems worse.

The only real difference sound wise between an aftermarket deck and the TSX deck is the TSX does not have a dedicated sub channel.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Advanced

Thx jeff. So far we have got everything working. My "experienced" help have been able to figure out the situation after some online help. We had tapped into the remote wire behind the HU, but that wasn't powerful enough for the 1000w fosgate and pioneer perfects apparently. Using a voltage tester we determined that the accessory power(which was actually 12v unlike the remote wire) does as you describe power on with the key ignition. Finally got it all working. I haven't run them much as it was late, but i haven't heard much popping. Only once when I turned on the car so far.

But to clarify, you are saying that it is no good to tap in behind the HU and to tap in at the rear speaker wires?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
You tapped the wrong wire; the remote wire has plenty of current to turn on any amp. You have an 06, only some 04’s have a remote wire that switches with the HU. The remote wire is on the small 14 pin connector at the factory amp for future reference.

Tapping the signal between the HU and amp requires special knowledge of balanced circuits; basically you need to convert the two wire feed to single wire without upsetting the input to the factory amp. This can’t be accomplished with just splicing or wire taps.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Makes sense. I was using an 04-08 Tsx service manual. That used an o4 wiring diagram lol. The amp is behind the "not an ashtray"? I did y
use the adapter to tap in behind HU to convert to RCA. Everything is working great, but will I have a problem? Thx
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 AM
10th Gear

i've got the same problem, except the stock amp seems to have 2 seperate channels, it's only playing 4 of my stock speakers as opposed to 8. my conclusion is that i have blown the stock amp, so what my question is...... is there a way that i can disconnect the stock amp completely to run the speakers straight into the deck to get power?
i plan on disconnecting my 6x9's, since they drain too much power, that way i will get more high's from my original 6 speakers, and i'll have a seperate amp for my subs to take over for my 6x9's.

my plan is, bypass the stock amp, but how to come around doing this?

i'm kind of a newbie on installs for these cars, seeing as how it is computerized.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Disconnecting your 6x9's won't give your other 6 speakers more power.

Easiest way to bypass the stock amp (and this is only if you can get your hands on one) is to get mercman's custom harness... and if you plan on running an unbalanced amp, then pick up the balun too.
Other easiest option is probably to jsut run an aftermarket deck (which may be beneficial since you get tuning options up front)

Been running the mercman setup for the last 2-3 years and havn't had any problems. Switching my amps next week as soon as my new zapco amps get here (sundowns got stolen ) ... should be able to do without the balun
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
Disconnecting your 6x9's won't give your other 6 speakers more power.

Easiest way to bypass the stock amp (and this is only if you can get your hands on one) is to get mercman's custom harness... and if you plan on running an unbalanced amp, then pick up the balun too.
Other easiest option is probably to jsut run an aftermarket deck (which may be beneficial since you get tuning options up front)

Been running the mercman setup for the last 2-3 years and havn't had any problems. Switching my amps next week as soon as my new zapco amps get here (sundowns got stolen ) ... should be able to do without the balun
Has anyone heard from Mr. Mercman's as of late, I believe I remember him saying that he would start working on a new harness late/early 2009-2010?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by aascsm
Has anyone heard from Mr. Mercman's as of late, I believe I remember him saying that he would start working on a new harness late/early 2009-2010?
He posted above you, seems hes alive and well