Trimtrac - GPS vehicle tracker (anyone used this?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trimtrac - GPS vehicle tracker (anyone used this?)

So I was reading the latest issue of WiReD magazine (which has a huge section on gadgets) and they listed something called the Trimtrac (http://www.trimtrac.com/index.shtml) which is basically a box containing a GPS receiver, GSM cell phone and 4 AA batteries (or optional DC power connector). Doesn't need wires or an external antenna. The box can be stashed in a glove compartment and apparently doesn't need to "see the sky" for the GPS receiver to work.

It will send out positioning data over SMS to another cell phone or some website where you can track your car.

It's supposedly $160 plus some monthly fee for website access. Plus you have to provide the SIM card for the GSM cell phone so there's another monthly fee too.

Anyone else heard of this? Any comparisons from LoJack owners?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Instructor

LoJack uses FM and doesn't signal until activated by local law enforcement. Law enforcement tracks the vehicle not the owner. There is no monthly fee with LoJack but maintenance service every two years currently runs about $68.00. Don't know about GPS that doesn't need to "see the sky". If that's true then this eliminates one of the primary advantages of LoJack. Typically GPS is "blind" in tunnels, around tall buildings or indoors. That's a problem if the thief parks the car inside.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Tuxedo Cat

If you read the specs, there are some limitations and caveats as to where you can place it. Globe boxes, under seats, etc. They say "maybe" in the trunk. I suspect that it will be much more reliable in places that have a minimum of metal between them and the sky. Glove box, for example, has pretty good sky visibility, mostly through glass and plastic...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, between the GPS and the GSM there are places that it will drop out. This is a Trimble product, they have to know that. One of the press releases (the first one) says that the enhanced GPS sensitivity lets it work in "some" places regular units won't.

When the GPS is out it will certainly transmit last known and time since, so it's not too much of a problem.

Their idea here is to be almost as reliable, and a lot cheaper. The problem in these from a biz standpoint is always cost of install - antennas especially. This lets TT go after the fleets with no install, and if your whole fleet is covered and it doesn't work once in a while, hey, you wouldn't have been covered at all with more expensive units, so for a fleet manager, it financially makes sense to buy a cheaper lossier system if you couldn't afford the better system. You still sae money.

I don't think the statistical approach would make a one-car owner very happy if it didn;t work, though (or was tossed out a window). I don't see it as a consumer device for that reason, I see it as a commercial fleet device. The fleet can afford to play the numbers, I don;t want to myself, though.

Remember, you're paying for a wireless connection every single month. It won't even unlock your doors!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

yeah, it definitely seems like a fleet solution instead of something you'd get for just one car. and the fact that you have to pay a monthly for a SIM card and access to their website is a little too much as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:27 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

try this... works like a charm

http://www.vigilgps.com/?lan=en