MISC: Suggestions needed on install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Suggestions needed on install

I just bought a 07 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 6-speed and just sold my 99 TL-P. I took out all the stereo gear in my TL and plan to swap it over to the Altima. The Altima has a set of 6.5 components in the front (I have 6.5 Alipne Type R comps to take their place), 6.5 coaxials in the rear doors (I have 6.5 Alipine Type R coaxials to take their place) and then the rear deck lid has 6x9's. I planned on buying (you guessed it) Alipine Type R 6x9 (like to keep the speakers matching). Anyways I had the two pairs of alpines powered by a 4 channel JBL GTO1004 amp putting 100wrms to each speaker. Can I use this same amp to also power the 6x9's? Would it be safe to the amp and speakers? Roughly what would the split be to each speaker if I did it that way? My headunit is a Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT and it was three pre-outs, front/back/sub. Does that mean I can run three amps off of the headunit if need be? By the way I have a XSPower D5100 power cell I'll be using as a 2nd battery in the trunk along with a Stinger 5 farad cap (do I need the cap at all?) I figured it would be nice to use with my sub (which I had it hooked up to before). The sub is a Kicker CVX124. I have very high quality cable (all Stinger 0 gauge for the sub), in-line fuses, dist block, etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might want to make very sure the Altima isn't using an active crossover system, and if not consider making it one. You might want to series-load the speakers so you can run two sets per channel for those rear parcel shelf, and rear door speakers. Or better yet, a small additional amp.

Remember to deaden the car (the last Nissan I did really had a lot of rattle and thin metal, and BE SURE to leave a power source attached to the car at all times, like through the cig lighter or through the power leads of the battery cables. If this car loses power, sometimes it takes a trip to the dealer to reset all the things correctly.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Pro

I went and looked at the wiring diagrams.

The Bose unit uses a full active system. The Base unit uses a passive system but certainly could go active. Now, judging by how you're talking about those rear-most shelf speakers, if you currently have those AND door speakers, you have the Bose system. If you don't you have the base system. Also the Bose system has a center channel.

My recommendation:

JBL MS8 all the way. You can run these Alpine R's if you want to but definitely run them active if the woofer is separated from the tweeter. Also pay attention to the center channel. As far as rear speakers, unless you have upgrades already in hand, I would leave them be. Rear speakers don't need to have any exceptional characteristics, they are rear fill.

Anytime we're talking a car with surround sound capabilities such as this one, you've really got to consider the sheer power of the MS8 (or other capable processors of the same ilk.) I can tell you that running a car w/ a center channel changes the way you view stage and imaging in a car forever.

Oh and unless you are running well over 1500W RMS to those subs, a capacitor is likely a hindrance. Just by installing very high quality copper back to the amps and properly distributing it, you'll be fine most the time. I use www.wireandsupply.com for the 1/0 welding cable and I use furryletters (his name is Barry) from eBay for Techflex and heatshrink to cover all my wires. I make my own RCA's from raw Switchcraft RCA connectors and Gepco EZrun twisted pair wire both from www.Markertek.com

For deadening, I tend to use a lot of www.raamaudio.com RAAMmat BXTII and Peel n Stick Ensolite foam.

If you want to make this car special, I can help.

Last edited by fourthmeal; 08-09-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I need 2 more gears

There is no center channel speaker, but there is 6x9 in the rear deck, 6.5 coaxials in the rear door panels and 6.5 components in the front. Weird. I do not believe it's the Bose setup. HU makes no mention of Bose which is unusual if it were Bose. Anyways I don't want to buy an expensive amp. I really just want to buy some 6x9 to fill in the gaps and hopefully run those along with my other two pairs of speakers off of a 4-channel amp. Is that a bad idea or should I buy a 2-channel amp to power the 6x9's? That would be 3 amps total in my setup.

Also how should I used my XSPower battery?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sbuswell
There is no center channel speaker, but there is 6x9 in the rear deck, 6.5 coaxials in the rear door panels and 6.5 components in the front. Weird. I do not believe it's the Bose setup. HU makes no mention of Bose which is unusual if it were Bose. Anyways I don't want to buy an expensive amp. I really just want to buy some 6x9 to fill in the gaps and hopefully run those along with my other two pairs of speakers off of a 4-channel amp. Is that a bad idea or should I buy a 2-channel amp to power the 6x9's? That would be 3 amps total in my setup.

Also how should I used my XSPower battery?
Why do you need an aux battery if you're keeping it simple? Seems silly right?

You said yourself just now, you are filling in gaps. That means you are running the base option. IMO, leave the rear shelf alone. Let those holes allow your subs in the trunk to breathe into the cabin.

Also.. I have to bow out of system advice if its a simple system. Its just not my thing.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Got too much goin' on speaker wise.

Ditch the rear door and rear shelf speakers. Use the JBL amp and bridge it down to 2 channels to power the type r comps upfront.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I need 2 more gears

OK so my new plan is to not use the alpine type r coaxials in the rear door panels, but to leave those blank. I will run my type r comp's up front and a pair of JBL P963 6x9's in the rear, both will be getting 100 watts rms from my JBL GTP 1004. Sub will be my Kicker CVX 12" powered by my Eclipse XA1200, getting around 600-700 watts rms. I will use my XS Power battery as the main car battery and run the 5 farad cap to the sub amp. Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT headunit. Cache sound dampener in the front doors and rear deck lid. Will do the whole trunk later on. I'm thinking it should sound great and pound nicely. I'm not a huge bass freak, just love good well rounded sound and a system that can play really loud without issues.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Dude

no rears!

Without the proper processing, they'll just pull your sound stage back.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by eggyhustles

Without the proper processing...
Is correct, and its why most modern cars today (especially the upgraded audio from the factory) use processing of some sort to properly create front stage and rear fill.

Which brings me back to my original suggestion, you know... when you're ready for big time.

Just remember, this is an 07, new(ish) car. It deserves more than the 99 could deliver stock.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
OK so my new plan is to not use the alpine type r coaxials in the rear door panels, but to leave those blank. I will run my type r comp's up front and a pair of JBL P963 6x9's in the rear, both will be getting 100 watts rms from my JBL GTP 1004. Sub will be my Kicker CVX 12" powered by my Eclipse XA1200, getting around 600-700 watts rms. I will use my XS Power battery as the main car battery and run the 5 farad cap to the sub amp. Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT headunit. Cache sound dampener in the front doors and rear deck lid. Will do the whole trunk later on. I'm thinking it should sound great and pound nicely. I'm not a huge bass freak, just love good well rounded sound and a system that can play really loud without issues.
Which battery do you have? Assuming it's something of decent size, you can easily ditch the cap.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I need 2 more gears

Battery is a XS Power D5100.

Also I figure I'm upgrading what's already there significantly and adding a sub. I would think the soundstage would be a lot better than stock. I'm not seriously deep into car audio. I just want a nice setup, I'll be spending my money on chassis parts, clutch and engine mods.