Stock TL-S not enough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock TL-S not enough!

Well, today I was driving around today and testing the sound system. I popped in a CD and got the volume all the way UP to the max. It just doesn't hit hard enough.

Now, if I can bear the the loudness at full-volume, it isn't quite enough.

I've been thinking about 2 10's for awhile, but not really sure about putting in new tweeters and mids. I'm an amateur in car stereo tuning, and don't want them tearing apart my car. I know subs might drown out the mids and highs, but if i were to re-wire the factory amp, and throw the watts going to the sub to the mids/highs, would the stock speakers be able to take it?

I've heard good things about boston accoustics and MB quart. Do any of you have a clean setup that's relatively easy to install and improves quality, but not to the extreme ($$$)?

Thanx.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:21 AM
Instructor

p.s.

i went to car stereo in houston today. They told me that it's difficult to add an amp and subs with the way Bose is setup? Anybody differ? I would like to put some power..but currently looks like i'll have to mod the car in other ways.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:34 AM
...and then there was One

I would suggest just getting a high-to-low converter for now, and hooking it up to the signal going to your factory subs amp, just before it. Take it and run it to your new amp, that is going to push whatever subs you want. I have a TLS and am thinking of either one Polk 12", or two. If I do just one, it won't take up much room (less than 1 sq ft), and can handle 400 watts rms. But, two 12"s would hit HARD. Later, I can just run another high-to-low converter from the signal going to the door speakers to a new amp, and replace the speakers in the doors. Probably components in fron, and who knows in back... 6 1/2, 6x9 for more mids bass.... Anyone have any suggestions? Does this all sound right?
Old 07-29-2001, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It would be better to use the preamp sub output going to the Bose amp behind the rear seat. The signal would be cleaner before going thru the crappy Bose amp. Better yet, since the preamp sub output is volume attenuated from the hidden Bose EQ and you plan to replace fronts, install a LOC at the headunit and run your RCA's back to feed sub/amp. Then you've already got the RCA's for the fronts for when the time comes to replace those too.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:31 PM
...and then there was One

Thanks for the help, Brewboy. Maybe I will do that. Just get a 4-channel LOC (but for now, I would just use the sub), run RCAs back to my new amp? I would probably have Car Toys do the install (I have my own amp and sub), because I don't want to take out the dash. I need more bass.....