Stock Subwoofer rattles for TL-S, even when stereo is off. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Subwoofer rattles for TL-S, even when stereo is off. Help?

Ok, so i have 2750 miles on the car. The stock subwoofer obviously rattles/vibrates when I play music, thought it is often drowneded out by the music itself. I've never even kept the subwoofer setting at halfway (its always been like 2 notches below half). By the way, I drive a TL Type S, 2008. I mention this because I don't know how the settings work on non navigation TL's. Anyway, it's always below half.

Even when the stereo is off, during bumpy roads, the subwoofer has a rattle. I know its not from anything else. It has like that popped speaker sound to it, I know its coming from there. Is it possible that when a subwoofer "pops" that something begins to rattle on the inside? For all I know, it culd be "popped."

What I want to know, is there any fix for this? It also bothers me that I can hear it when the stereo is off. The suspension is stiff on the TL-S so the road doesn't even need to be that rough for me to hear it rattle.

THANKS GUYS!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

Two things to invest in...first of all your basic sub box fitted to your sub will contain the rattling on bumpy rides. The other thing you should look into is a Dynamat Trunk Kit. I am currently installing this in my TLS and although it is a good half day of work the last couple of cars I've installed them into turned out stellar.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Instructor

but it did not start rattling till like the last 300-500 miles. So something MUST have loosened
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KLTLS
Two things to invest in...first of all your basic sub box fitted to your sub will contain the rattling on bumpy rides. The other thing you should look into is a Dynamat Trunk Kit. I am currently installing this in my TLS and although it is a good half day of work the last couple of cars I've installed them into turned out stellar.
^sub box for a stock sub?
and dynamat does not eliminate rattles, it only insulates surfaces so that the sound does not pass through as much, in most instances it does reduce the rattling somewhat but not all of them. you can try checking the speaker covers on your back deck to see if they have any movement to them as these are the most common things on all cars to rattle. however i do not know much about the TL's so it could be a number of things. you could try posting this in the TL forums as it may be something other than your sub that is rattling, good luck
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My guess is that one of the bolts holding the sub in has rattled loose. KLTLS has a point about the dynamat if the sub is mounted in your rear deck (i don't know, but that's the way my mom's Lexus is). if this is true, pull the sub out and put a piece of dynamat under it, then replace the woofer on top of the dynamat. the dynamat should keep the sub from bouncing around or whatever, and therefore eliminate the rattle.

if the sub is "popped" or blown, then the sound would be terrible with the woofer on, although it would be extremely unlikely that something would be rattling when the stereo is turned off.

another possibility (and i'm not sure why this happens, but it happened in my buddy's jetta) is that somehow the road is sending some kind of signal to your amp (i don't really know how/why this happens) but it causes your sub to "play" a single note due to rough roads. in my buddy's car, he could have his stereo turned off, and go over a railroad track and the subs would hit 1 time. again, i'm not sure how/why this happens, nor do i know how to fix it, but i know it is a possibility.

i'd say your best bet is to go check all of the mounting bolts on the sub, rear speakers, and 3rd taillight and make sure they're all tight. if it's still happening after that, then i'd say start to look into the sub itself.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
8th Gear

i work at an acura dealersip in georgia and we have a decent amount of people come in because of the same thing. if it rattles when the stereo is off, its not because the sub is blown. something has come loose on the deck. the best thing to do is turn on the sub to a song that makes it rattle. most likely it will only be a certain pitch of bass that makes it do it. find a sustain and try to figure out where exactly the sound is coming from. but ive never had a person come in with a blown sub with that little miles on it.. they just think it is and we find a loose screw or something.