Stock radio grounding point

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock radio grounding point

Does anyone know where the EXACT grounding location for the stock radio is located? I found a way to input my NEO35 mp3 player into the stock radio but I am getting engine/alternator noise. I am already using the Scosche ground loop isolator and the Scosche 10-amp power noise filter. I know that if I connect the mp3 ground wire to the stock radio ground wire that'll do it but... I STRIPPED ONE OF THE RADIO SCREWS AND NOW CANNOT TAKE THE RADIO OUT!

My plan now (plan B) is to located where the stock radio ground wire terminates at and connect my mp3 ground wire there... or (plan C)...

Does anyone know how to remove a stripped screw easily??

Just Me
Old 05-16-2001, 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

how did you connect the mp3 player? other than the grounding

what ground are you using now? as long as you get a clean ground point you should be ok

black is always ground, but i doubt you want to tap into anything, since its not the cleanest connection

there are 2 factory ground points behind the radio. one is behind the ashtray, the other is behind the deck. not sure if you can get to those though. im nearly positive that the deck is grounded at the point directly behind it

there is a really nice point in the drivers side fuse box. take off the panel and it'll be right in front of you

how much did you pay for the mp3 player? have any pictures?

when you ssay a stripped screw you mean rounded right? try using some vice grip pliers and wd 40
Old 05-16-2001, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Talking

I am using the Clarion CDC635 6-disk CD Changer and the Peripheral HONCLRX cable.
http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/perip...w_products.htm

This cable attached to the stock deck and has an AUX input.

I am not able to get the changer to work correctly - not sure if something is wrong with the changer... but it doesn't matter since I wasn't going to use the changer at all! I only wanted the AUX inputs.

The mp3 player is the NEO35 http://ssiamerica.com/products/neo35 - a hard disk based system. I currently have a 20gb hard disk with about 3,000+ songs on it. I have one installed in my wife's 4runner and this one was installed in my former car. I really missed it after I bought my TL back in February and have been searching for ways to install it in the TL. BTW - FM modulators suck big time...

I'll have pictures when I can borrow a camera... the main unit is mounted in the trunk. I used the holes where the factory unit would've gone. I removed the coin tray and cigarette lighter from the center console and installed the wired remote display there. I originally had it installed in the cup holder, but I missed not having a spot to hold drinks...

This bugger has a history of noise problems - if it is not grounded correctly. The install in my 4runner is noiseless, absolutely perfect. When this unit was installed in my Camry, no noise as well. If I can properly ground this unit in the TL, I'll be set!

It sounds great already! Its only when I play it a little LOUD that I can hear the whining. I know that this will eventually drive me nuts so I best take care of this soon.

Thanks mr TL for your tips! I'll try the vice grip and WD40.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:20 PM
Racer

try grounding your rca's to the chassis of the headunit. remove the ground loop isolator. most likely it's not the ground but the rca's might have a floating ground from the headunit. if that is the case then that would definitly cause noise.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony

Old 05-16-2001, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

The Bose's ground is in the wiring harness. However there is a ground point that has quite a few stock wires grounded there. It's under the shifter on the right - but you'll have to remove the center console to get to it.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for your help... I'll tinker with these tips over the next few days... As far as removing the center console - no problem. I've removed the center console area at least a dozen times now, it takes me less than 5 minutes to get everything off with only the radio staring me in the face...

I'll let you guys know how things go. I figure I'll be done by Sunday

Keep the tips coming! I can use all the help I can get!

Just Me