Stereo Question, just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:17 AM
Stay or leave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Question, just wondering

I just bought some 6x9's that i'm going to install later tonight, I actually have a 2001 honda accord now coupe v6. The rear speakers say 20W at 4 Ohms, the new speakers i got are 3 way 75W RMS at 4 ohms, how bad do you think these will sound. I realize that they will definitely be under powered, but would rather have new speakers then the pieces of shit that are there. Also i asked the guy if I should put an amp on them and he said it really wouldn't matter cause i'm not replacing the factory head, i don't want to cause i have a 6 disc in dash cd changer just like the CL. What do you think, i could get a cheap 2 channel amp just to power the rear 6x9's but will it really matter? I guess I don't understand enough to know why would not replacing the factory head matter that much? I originally wanted to replace the stock speakers, 6.5 and tweeters up front and 6x9's in the rear so i'm just going to try and install the 6x9's in the back myself and see how they sound. But would the amp help?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
yes, the amp would help a lot. the stock deck does not put out very much power, so your speakers will be underpowered. they will still sound much better than stock though, even without an amp. I would recommend that you replace the speakers and see how they sound without an amp, and if the sound is not as good as you want, then look into getting an amp. what kind of speakers did you get, that makes a big difference too...
Old 08-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Stay or leave

i just picked up some from best buy cause i really didn't want to go all out. I got some Rockford fosgates punch 3ways 6x9's i think they are these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w7sbMvJ...p?i=575FRC3369

I hope they sound good because i don't really want to get an amp unless I have too but will if i must, i think the 6.5 in the doors and the tweeters up front sound alright, just lack bass in the rear
Old 08-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Stay or leave

by the way i could buy a phoenix gold sapphire amp from a friend, its pretty old and used, but it works, i think i looked it up and its 75x2 and i could get it for little to nothing, but i was wondering how hard would it be to install? I know my way around a car pretty good and i'm pretty handy but don't know if its really worth it
Old 08-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Beetroot
I would recommend that you replace the speakers and see how they sound without an amp, and if the sound is not as good as you want, then look into getting an amp.
I agree with Beetroot... you can always add an amp later if you feel like you need it.

But if you think the stock speakers are loud enough, odds are you'll be happy with just replacing the speakers.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:34 AM
Yeehaw

those speakers should sound pretty good. just install them and see how it sounds. if you aren't happy....then think about amps.

I wouldn't go with a 2 channel amp, if you are going to put in an amp you should amp all the speakers or none. thats just my opinion...I honestly don't know what would happen if you just amped the back, I guess you could put the fader forward to counteract the power difference....but then theres not much point in having an amp in the first place...

and installing the amp is not that hard...with the stock head unit just run speaker level inputs, hook up a power and ground, then re-run the speaker wire.

I have never done speaker level inputs, or even noticed the inputs on an amp...maybe someone can give some info on this...if you hook up an amp with speaker level inputs do you have to run all four speaker wires into the amp? or if not, do you give up fade/balance control and stereo?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:03 PM
"hey...wanna f^&k"

Originally posted by Reddly9007
i just picked up some from best buy cause i really didn't want to go all out. I got some Rockford fosgates punch 3ways 6x9's i think they are these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w7sbMvJ...p?i=575FRC3369

I hope they sound good because i don't really want to get an amp unless I have too but will if i must, i think the 6.5 in the doors and the tweeters up front sound alright, just lack bass in the rear
we have these speakers in my store, they suck, even with an amp. was not impressed with any of the fosgate door speakers.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Yeehaw

fosgate for amps, not speakers...

rr32cls, they would sound better than stock though right? especially if all the speakers were amped and the rears just used for fill....
Old 08-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Stay or leave

oh great they suck, thats wonderful. i guess i'll have to see for myself, i was going to install them last night but then it started to down pour. I started taking out the other 6x9, what a pain the ass, my socket wrench is a little to big and i can't get it over the back set of screws so i have to do it with a hand wrench, what a pain. I wish i had a soddering iron cause i would rather use the little stock connector, but looks like i'll have to splice the wires and just use clamps. I guess i'll keep you all posted if anyone really cares. All i know is the stock speakers are 20W 4Ohm speakers, cone with no mid-range or tweeters, i got 3-way 75 RMS 4ohm replacement 6x9s so i have to imagine they will sound a little better, guess i'll see later tonight.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Stay or leave

alright i'm sure no one cares but just to let you know, last night i did replace my stock 6x9s with the new ones, and they sound so much better, high frequency wise. The lows still aren't anything special but at least i don't get distortion anymore and they bump a little. I guess If i really cared i could get a sub but its not a big deal now. So the lesson here is, replace the piece of shit stock speakers will make a difference, just don't spend that much cause its not going to make your car into a show car.