Stereo Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Install Complete

I finally got the new stereo installed in my TSX. I have posted a lengthy article on it along with nine pictures that may help explain what I was up to. Please have a look and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Skip

http://www.ziaguitars.com/tsx.htm
Old 10-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

loooks good but you can post some closer pics of you EQ install and also of your component install?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:22 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by accsueprstar
loooks good but you can post some closer pics of you EQ install and also of your component install?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

The pics are about as good as I have. If I tear it apart soon I'll update the post. FWIW, the eq install just requires cutting most of the right side and most of the back off the bin compartment. I used a drill and a little saw. It is rough but you don't see it when it is installed.

Skip
Old 11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Instructor

hey, thanks for taking the time to post the details and pictures!

Just curious if you knew your component door speaker depth and how far out did the speakers project? Not too far, I take it?? I know you used a spacer (1/2" I think you said?)

I have a pair of 2 & 3/4" components that I want to use, so I wondered what yours were in comparison.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

I think mine were about the same depth as yours. The basket on the stock speakers is very small -- they are more "T" shaped. The originals stick out about an inch and I tried to pattern mine to the same depth so I didn't have to mess with the cushion on the door panel. The spacer was 1/2" plywood but it had two layers of Dynamat too. the total was probably more like 5/8" plus the rim of the speaker.

You could probably shave the cushion back and get them to fit without removing metal but that isn't a particularly hard job if you don't mind the permanence. My car is leased so the dealership gets a speaker upgrade when it goes back.

SH
Old 11-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Instructor

what metal are you referring to? metal towards the back of door that would have to be removed or shaved down? sorry, I'm a little confused!

On a different note, I'm surprised that you had to 'dremel' the opening since your speaker was more of that 'T' shape.. I would have thought that with a shape like that, it would be less necessary to do some custom trimming of the opening (because of you having more depth than width in your speaker).

btw, any changes I make would probably be ok, as I would be buying the TSX, not leasing. At the same time, I wouldn't want anything too radical that might turn-off a prospective buyer later down the the line. (Nor would I want anything that's too much hassle to do.. I'm lazy and or to busy to be doing customizing stuff.. I'm not that much of an audiophile when it comes right down to it!).
Old 11-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Instructor

how 'bout a picture showing your door speakers, one that shows how far out they are projecting from the doors?

if/when you get a chance, of course.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

combustible are you trying to use cl61s ? I am looking to install some myself. i think balke's tsx over at club tsx installed some type R components from Alpine and those run about the same depth
Old 11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

It is too late for a picture of the speakers installed but they stick out about 1.125" from the metal. That includes 5/8" for the spacer and 1/2" for the speaker rim. The same as the originals. I shaved about 3/8" of steel from the door -- basically making the keyhole shaped opening into a circle. You can see the white trace line in one of the pics. A dremel is slower than a jig or sawzall but it doesn't rattle the door apart while you do it. The stock speakers really don't have a basket compared to the much much heavier aftermarket speakers. I used Kickers which are pretty massive. OTOH, the bigger the spacer, the less basket you need to house inside the door so you can protrude further forward than stock and shave down the inside of the door panel instead. Either way, you are putting a 2.75" speaker in a 1.75" place so something has to give.

Skip
Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by accsueprstar
combustible are you trying to use cl61s ? I am looking to install some myself. i think balke's tsx over at club tsx installed some type R components from Alpine and those run about the same depth
Yes. You must have seen or replied to my previous thread a couple months back (to know this).

or, you're just that damn good.

I was also looking at their "euroframe" style, which they advertise as being smaller to fit into tighter spaces. However, the difference in depth is only 1/8" as compared to the cl61s's! BIG diff. THAT is!!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

dont worry i am going to get those cdts to fit!
Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Instructor

my hero.

*dances around like your little green friend*