specific xm roady installation help needed, please!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:12 PM
a girl with an acura...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
specific xm roady installation help needed, please!!

hello all---i need some help, please oh please.

i have an xm roady, the SNHOND3, 2 GLIs and a line amp.
i need to know how to hook it all up...i let circuit city try and they scratched my baby by SLIDING the already in place antenna across the roof and moving it to the trunk.
i'll save you all the drama of the rest of the experience, but now i'm on my own to get this hardwired.

can someone please tell me what to do, step by step?
i know to run the stereo to the SNHOND3, run a GLI out of the SNHOND3 into the line amp, run a GLI out of the line amp...then i'm stuck.

i have a connector that has the red and white plugs like the GLI on one end and 2 plugs to plug into the roady on the other end (the fm modulator plug and the power plug) -- can i connect that to the lineamp?

and also---where is the freakin' power coming from?
there's a red wire and a black wire coming out of the lineamp also--do they need to be wired into the power from the power outlet next to the not-an-ashtray?

please oh please oh please someone help me!! i can't bear to let anyone else touch my car for this!!

a girl with an acura who wants her XM non fuzzy!!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you have a wiring harness that plugs into the Roady that has a white and red 1/4-inch round connectors like the GLI, then yes, that should be going to the line amp. Roady-line amp-SHOND adapter - car radio.

You could grab the power from the NOT AN ASHTRAY 12V port... but I personally would avoid that one. Go ahead and use it for now. Don't use that ground, though! Find a bolt that is bolted to bare metal and put your ground wires for the Roady and the line amp together under that bolt and tighten it firmly. If you have noise issues you may need to use a different power wire (probably the one feeding the amplifier in the center console).

BTW, the purpose of the GLI's is to eliminate engine noise (a high-pitched whine over your speakers when listening to your XM and with the engine running). Test for engine noise with the AUX selected, and with the car running and the headlights on - before you have re-assembled all the trim panels! Try blipping the gas once or twice with all the doors closed and the windows up, and listen for a sound like a kazoo over your speakers. (Make sure it isn't the buzzy exhaust sound - check again with the radio OFF).

You may not need 1 or both of the GLI's (according to the posts here) and you don't want all your panels re-installed in case you need to try something different.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Senior ATCer

Your installation is way more complicated than mine. Here's how I did my installation. I'm quite happy with the results. 1) Install the antenna on the back self with the antenna directly on the seat lock. 2) Ran the antenna wire behind the back seat over to the right and tucked it behind the bottom seat cushion then run the wire under the black plastic trim under the doors all the way to the front where I ran it behind the dash to the storage bin location. 3) Plugged in the Roady power plug to the socket in the storage console between the seats. Ran the power wire through litle slot in the left front of the console down the side of the console and tucked it under the console all the way to the dashboard then up to the storage bin. 4) This part might not work for you, I drilled a hole in the back of the storage bin to accommodate the antenna,power, and RCA cables. 5) MY setup is this...Roady is connected with a 1/8th plug to RCA which is connected to a Radio Shack GLI which is connected to the Shond3 which is connected to the Acura radio. The volume of the Roady is a hair lower than a CD with the audio gain of the Roady all the way up.

The big problem I had was getting everything to fit in the space behind the bin and then putting the bin back into the console. That is why I had to drill a hole in the back of the bin.

I"ll try to help with any questions you might have.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:35 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
So how did it go? Is this helping out?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:01 PM
a girl with an acura...

i am waiting on a new SNHOND3 to arrive--it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so i won't get to it till the weekend.
thanks for the help so far, i'll let you know this weekend!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

So what all did the pimple faced kids at Circuit City do? If they looked up the notes for the iPod install at the top of this forum, it would have supplied them with all of the info they needed. BTW, what made you put the antenna on the outside. There are a few dead spots around Cumberland Mall, but other than that, I have great reception with the antenna on the shelf behing the rear seats.

If you want a really good professional doing the job there is a place up in Marietta I highly recommend. They did a great custom install on my old Infiniti and Eclipse. They are just north of the Big Chicken. The name of the place is Audio Vision.