Speaker Swap Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Ultra User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Swap Question(s)

Hey, Im changing my stock speakers cuz they are garbage.. I may amp down the line but I have no plans for that yet. My questions are:

From my old civic I have a pair of Polk EX3560 6.5" Components for the front, Polk EX369 6x9 for the back, but nothing for the rear doors. I dont want to spend crazy money, in fact Im only considering this cuz i already got most of the speakers lying around. I think wanna find something cheap on ebay, is there a problem if the backdoor has different speakers than the front door? For that matter does it matter if they are a little cheaper (the polks cost me $149)?

Also, the 6x9's i got are 3-way, I've read that 1-way is better... Should I sell my 3-ways and buy 1-ways? I also got a decent Kenwood 2-way amp, should I use it for the rear 6x9's or is that a stupid idea?

I realize this setup would crave more power, but I dont see how it wont sound better than what I got now anyway.. and if i get money down the line, I can always amp it or throw in a sub

Thanks for the help guys - i realize im asking a lot and that some of it may have been asked indirectly before but im a newb to this and would appreciate the help
Old 01-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Hurricane Game

i know this is a late reply, but hopefully it helps.

the type of speakers you have (brands) make no difference on whether or not they will work with each other, etc. it will only make a difference in quality (and the specs of the speakers and what not). but having pioneers in the front and bostons in the back is fine (for example).

3 way speakers mean it has a woofer, mid-range, and a tweeter built in. then has a built in cross-over in the speaker that sends the proper sound to each part of the speaker. one ways are like a speaker that has no crossover. so it will play just one certain range of frequency. i personally have never seen a 1-way, but that's what i would say about em. if you amp them, you can set the amp to a high or low x-over via the amp and that will take care of it for you. you can decide whether you want mostly highs or lows (treble or bass basically). you can use the kenwood for the rears. i'm assuming by 2-way that you mean 2-channel. yes, you can use that as long as you have it set up right.

good luck bro.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you mean the 6x9 woofers only, yeah, bag the three ways, just like we discussed weeks ago : )

and 3-way 6x9's don't meet your description - they have two tweets and a woofer. The number of 6x9s with a real mid are almost nil.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Hurricane Game

well that is what they claim on the box of most 6x9s anyways. i'm using 3 ways for a high pass in the rear. to me, 2 ways don't do as well with a high pass, but still aren't bad if they're of any decent quality.