Speaker Mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Speaker Mounting Question

Hello to all, and thanks for any advice in advance! Also this is for 98 3.2 TL.

Ok, I have been in the process of replacing my factory speakers with Alpine Type R speakers. 6X9 in the rear deck, and 6 1/2 in the front doors. I also used a 200X4 watt 4 channel amplifier to drive all four speakers; all controlled by an Alpine CD/MP3 player.

6X9's were a simple drop in and hook up procedure, as the wires just had to go straight down to the amp in the trunk...

6 1/2's were a lot tougher and required a lot of speaker wire, time, and patience to get them hooked up... Basically, upon removing the door panels I noticed that the speakers were not going to drop right in. The factory set up consists of the speaker---mounted to a white plastic mount thingy---mounted to the door. I first removed the factory speakers, tried to put the Alpine speakers in and was unsucessful. I then removed the white plastic mount thingy and found there were no holes to line up the speakers to screw right in... Anywho, I got them mounted up using a Honda speaker adapter and plugged everything in... Everything sounded and looked fine until I put the door panels back on... The speaker sticks out about an extra inch because of the mounting plate, and during heavy playing the cone hits the panel making a disgusting noise...

All that said, my question is... If I mount the speakers flush to the door and drill holes to mount, is it ok for the speaker to touch flush up against the metal door? The speakers came with some sticky foam padding that I can use to insulate the gap, but I'm worried about the depth of the magnet. If the magnet touches the ever so close metal window frame inside the door will it affect the speakers performance, life, functionality??? I don't know for sure but wanted to make sure with you all first... Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use white plastic mount thingy (spacer) Drill and tap own holes then install..