TL: Spark plug removed and then put back in...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Spark plug removed and then put back in...

2002 TL-Type S
104,000 miles
3rd AT both under recall warranty luckily!
Vin: YRU-WNTIN-MY-VIN?
About a week in a half ago I was at the in-laws and pops decided to show me how simple spark-plug changing was. I later found out that he was very familiar with older VW engines and knew a little about older Hondas. He removed the middle plug closer to the headlights (not sure what # that is). He then replaced it. He torqed it by hand and told me to always make sure and not tighten it too much. Later that night when we heading home, i started the car and it didnt sound quite right. As i drove away from the house the power of the car was down and it was making sounds like it was bogging out almost. I turned back and after going under the hood i found that one of the connectors (I think it is called the coil) was not completely connected to the engine. Obviously this meant that the car was driving on 5 cylinders and that was the cause of the power loss... For the next week the check engine light was on and finally shut itself off. during that time the engine didnt sound right and there were some clicking noises. When I noticed the engine light had turned off, i also noticed that the engine sounded as good as it did before the Spark plug was removed and then put back in (same plug). Was all of that most likely the engine just needing that week to reset itself after the plug and then running on 5 cylindars for maybe 1/4 of a mile. Are there any problems that i should look for that could result from all of this? I do intend on replacing all 6 plugs within the week.

Also, about a month ago i replaced the timing belt and the water pump (my mechanic, not me). Since then my P/S has been really stiff at times and I just noticed that it has started the moaning, and for once this is a moaning that im not enjoying. Would a simple drain and fill be a good idea on the P/S or should I have it checked out?
Thanks for all of your feedback and help.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, taking a plug out and putting back in can be bad potentially because that little washer that comes as part of the spark plug squashes down only once. sure, things may be OK but then again, it could be an issue.

Also be advised that if you dump raw fuel through the exhaust system (the cats) for long, you will kill the cats. Not fun.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well one this belongs in the tl forum not the audio forum.........
Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourthmeal: Thank you for your feedback

on1wheel01: I would like to apologize for the terrible inconvenience I have brought to you and anyone else that has viewed my post incorrectly and found much disappointment as to what I was inquiring about. Being that this was posted in the wrong thread, I would like to offer a small amount of money to all of those that I have affected with my post.

Please go to my homepage and find the link I have just added.... That link will direct you to a page where you can fill in all of your information and a brief description of the set-back you experienced from my post being that it was incorrectly placed. I will be sending out personal checks to each of you in the amounts ranging from $10.00 to $100.00 depending on how great of an impact my error has caused you.

Thank you for your patience in receiving your check. As I do feel bad that the postal service will take a few days to get you your check, I would also like to extend my further apologies with a gift basket of the finest cheese and the sweetest wine.

With much regret and sadness,
Mstrober

Here is a link to the re-post in the correct thread. Once everyone has recieved their checks I will then consider this matter closed.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/spark-plug-removed-then-put-back-776632/

Last edited by mstrober; 05-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love it! You got jokes!

Unless of course there is actual money involved, in which case, I'm in a huff and want $100. LOL.

First thing's first, go check the spark plug for proper torque, and check back.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Lol.. time to implement the "Like" button as they do in facebook 8)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
oK...