Sound System in my 2003 Acura TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System in my 2003 Acura TL Type S

So I just got a 2003 Acura TL Type S the other day and I'm loving it. It's the nicest car I've ever owned and I love the way it runs.

Now I know the TL supposedly has a nice stock sound system (bose), but it's not really doing the job for me. I am looking to install a better, louder system, with 2 15" subs and direct ipod hookup, but it doesn't seem like I have many options. My car has navigation and in-dash 6 cd changer.

The people I have talked to so far suggested that I change my whole stereo (take out the stock cd/radio). Right now I'm just trying to figure out my options, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Racer

I did something similar to my tsx Instead of getting 2 15" subs I got 12's and I replaced all the speakers in the doors and I also had the ipod min hard-wired. I'm not sure what sub you are looking at, but I looked at a 15" alpine Type R sub and it made the ceiling of the demo room rattle like crazy just imagine what that would do to a sedan and that was only one sub.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Big Pimpin
I did something similar to my tsx Instead of getting 2 15" subs I got 12's and I replaced all the speakers in the doors and I also had the ipod min hard-wired. I'm not sure what sub you are looking at, but I looked at a 15" alpine Type R sub and it made the ceiling of the demo room rattle like crazy just imagine what that would do to a sedan and that was only one sub.
Yeah I was actually just thinking about it and think I'll go with 12's. Did you have to change your head unit?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Racer

Nope I kept the oem head unit I wanted the stock look, but I am thinking about putting a navigation head unit in the storage compartment of my tsx, but my ipod is hidden in there and I have no idea where to put it. Heres some pictures from my cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2094023
Old 09-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pimpin
Nope I kept the oem head unit I wanted the stock look, but I am thinking about putting a navigation head unit in the storage compartment of my tsx, but my ipod is hidden in there and I have no idea where to put it. Heres some pictures from my cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2094023
Have you considered extending the wiring and putting the ipod under the armrest?
Old 09-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
Have you considered extending the wiring and putting the ipod under the armrest?
LOL thats where I store some cleaning stuff for the car and cigarettes, but i guess i'll have to get rid of it if I decide to get navigation.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:56 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcpunerd
So I just got a 2003 Acura TL Type S the other day and I'm loving it. It's the nicest car I've ever owned and I love the way it runs.

Now I know the TL supposedly has a nice stock sound system (bose), but it's not really doing the job for me. I am looking to install a better, louder system, with 2 15" subs and direct ipod hookup, but it doesn't seem like I have many options. My car has navigation and in-dash 6 cd changer.

The people I have talked to so far suggested that I change my whole stereo (take out the stock cd/radio). Right now I'm just trying to figure out my options, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Welcome

Well first, if you are lookin' to replace the whole system eventually, i'd start with the HeadUnit and work your way backwards towards the trunk. Newer headunits these days allow yuo to hook up an iPod quite easily. Another way, is to get a BlitzSafe adaptor and hookup the ipod that way, if you want to keep your stock headunit. Also, if you keep your stock headunit, you will need to bypass the factory off-board EQ and send that signal to an aftermaket amplifier. Because if you just replace your speakers, the shrill high's of the excessively boosted signal will blow your eardrums.