small subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 11:18 PM

Question small subs

hey tl fans.....

i like what everyone has done to personalize their tl's audio but i myself like the way the audio sounds as is except the base levels.....

so heres my dilemma.... i wanna keep the all the speakers and the head unit as is and change only the bose sub. i wanna get loud CLEAN base while perserving the space in my trunk. what do you experts out there think my options are.

most car audio guys i'v talked to say that band pass is the way to go .... i have no clue on setup, the best equipment or options on setup on any of this stuff. now i know enuff to know that if i go with band pass that it has to be in some sorta box but i wanna know if its possible to mount or bolt this box to the rear deck where the old sub was. I am willing to spend 500 (cost price) and the best equipment. i wanna get the best sound as CLEAN and CLEAR possible

please tell me your best suggestions on equipment and setup including instruction if possible

thanx

ebb
Old 10-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not to go off subject, but i have a whole entire new system in my tl,,, one day i have to take out my subwoofer box to make room to carry stuff,,, for kicks, i then decided to attach the wires that ran from my powered amp to the existing bose sub, and it sounded pretty descent. well, i had to lower the gain down quite a bit, and when i played my music, it kept up with my boston acoustics.

just to let you know, it did not at all match my 12" jl audio sub, but it did give a good enough bass for the cabin of the car. so, maybe that could be your answer, eeko24. keep the bose sub and see if you could add in a 2-channel amp that has about 40x2 or 60x2 at 4 ohms. that's more than enough power to run that stock bass

i hope that helps,,, what do you other guys think?
Old 10-02-2001, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

How many watts can the stock Bose sub handle? I havent seen any specs, but i assume its not too much. and hey ArchAcuraTL, i have 2 jl audio subs as well. What series are yours. I have the W0 series JL subs. They sound very nice and dont require a lot of power. sorry about getting off the subject, eeko24, but i dont think u can mount a box right where the original sub went. I think Rockford Fosgate makes a sub that could fit in the original location, but im not sure. RF subs can thump pretty hard, much harder than the stock. U might need to spend a little more than 500. One of my amps was 600 by itself. U can find cheap amps, but u get what u pay for, if ya know what i mean. My suggestion is to go to as many car audio stores as u can, tell them your dilemma, and see which one offers you the best deal. Im sure someone can hook you up with a nice system for a reasonable cost.

Just my .02 . have a nice day
Old 10-02-2001, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
First, what type of music do you listen to? This is what should determine what type of sub and enclosure.
BTW, I have mounted my sub under the rear deck where the old was. It is a CDT MS80 in a 0.45 cf sealed box w/closed-cell polystyrene collar for an airtight seal into the cabin. One of the best SQ subs you can buy,IMHO. It does hang down about 8-9" from deck, so whatever you decide to do, you will have to give up some trunk space. I think a great idea is to put a CDT or Lunar sub in an Elements Enclosure - small footprint, lightweight, easily removable, and sealed for SQ-type subs. NSXNEXT is doing this same thing and should be installed in a couple of weeks so you can ask him his opinion.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:17 PM
Advanced

hey CO-TLS! to answer your question, i got the jl-audio w1, that's the most efficient one,, it's kinda old, but still thumps

and eeko24, as to the sub again,,, it depends how how much bass you want. if you buy a new sub and seal it, it would take up some trunk space and some cash, because of custom work. as you read before, i wired my existing bose sub to my amp, and the amp is bridged and is pushing about 150 watts, and that's too much for the bose to handle and that's why i turned the gain down, about 20% gain. the sub sounded descent and it's good enough to go along with the factory bose doors speakers. and i left the sub as it was, not enclosed or anything. it gave a good rumble to the car, and since the sub is aimed upward to the back windshield, the rumble was sent quickly to the driver to feel!

but i disconnected after i have finished using the trunk space and brought my box back in. now it sounds better!

so let me know what you think and what you're gonna do, ok? good luck!
Old 10-07-2001, 04:15 AM
Banned

I'll add my thoughts too...

There are four types of subs that I really "prefer", and they are:
-JL Audio w6 and w7
-Rockford Fosgate HX
-Infinity Kappa Pefect
-Kove Audio Armageddon

Now...the Armageddon 15's will not comfortably fit in an Acura...what I have in mine is 3 12w6's...soon to be 3 12w7's. For my brother, I installed 4 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's, and for his friend 6 RF HX 12's. Now, it all depends on what you want. Infinity gives incredible clarity, but at a minor loss to the low end...JL is in the middle...and Rockford Fosgate is good if you want BOOM at the expense of clarity...hence my going with JLs. You really should check out the w7's coming out. Assuming you decide on JL speakers...I normally use Rockford Fosgate amps, because they're the most linear in terms of signal reproduction I have seen...my suggestions.

Small: Two JL 8w6's, One Rockford Fosgate 400.2
Medium: Two JL 10w6's, One Rockford Fosgate 600.2
Large: Two JL 12w6's, One Rockford Fosgate 800.2
Big Momma: Three JL 12w6's or Three JL 12w7's, two Rockford Fosgate 800.2 Powers.

Box: Dual or Tri bandpass box, tuned port to the type of music you like, or if you want sheer boom...to the low 80Hz and down. You could do what I am doing...which is remove the old sub and have a not very deep box that is as wide and tall as your trunk that fires up through the hole left by the Bose sub. No custom parts aside from the box. And I can tell you how to make that =)

Austin519
Old 10-07-2001, 01:41 PM
Advanced

hey Austin519!!!

the (Dual or Tri bandpass box) sounds very interesting to me. please let me know how you're gonna make that and with what subs.i'm trying to find other configurations to make my box. and my type of music is anywhere from techno-pop like(erasure,depechmode,petshopboys) to r&b-pop like(destiny's child) to some rap(outkast,jay-z). what do you think? thanks.

oh, and will that box take up much room,,, do you have a sketch?
Old 10-07-2001, 09:04 PM
Banned

Yeah I'll tell you =) Basically I'm using JL 12w6's, as I already have two...and will use 12w7's when they come out. The box is going to be made of fiberglass custom molded to fit the inside of the trunk, and will be a tri-bandpass box. The subs will be wired to give a 4 Ohm drop impedance, and will have a plexiglass "front" that you see when you open the trunk. The box will take up about half of the trunk, a little past where the wheel wells end and the trunk gets wider.

Your box will be differently sized depending on the subs you pick (and this the Cu Volume the subs need). Also, the box I am making is going to have a cutout in it to hold the computer that I have in the car, so that the front panel of the computer (black leather wrapped to match the ebony leather interior) will be accessible through the middle of the rear seat, when folding down the armrest. The three ports of the box will vent up together through the hole created by the removed Bose sub, as well as the hot air from the computer piped up through a rubber hose.

I'm physically making the box inside the car...so I don't have any models beforehand...but i will afterward. Hope this helps =)

Austin519
Old 10-07-2001, 10:16 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply guys ....

alll the ideas are great... i thought arch original idea was good... but if theres a chance on me blowin the bose sub...i'd rather spend the extra money and do it right the first time ... i listen to a lot of hard rock as well as hipp hop and tecno.... i need an all round bass sound... my true problem is that i think the system soend fine as is except when i put it loud... the highs outrun the base... i just need the bass to keep up with the highs the bose speakers put out. i was thing a tem inch jl in the same spot with a mon amp pushin 150 or soo.... am i talkin out of my ass???

your thoughts

ebbie
Old 10-07-2001, 10:28 PM
Advanced

hey Austin519!

thanks for the detail,,, I'm gonna try to come up with somthing, somehow. i saw a great box at the importexpo2 in houston 2 weeks ago. it was made by tweeter, i think? well it was consisted of two 8" jl-w3's or 6's, mounted facing up at the rear dash. it was all enclosed in plexi. man!!! that thing hit hard and clean! you could feel the air blowing out of the car with great pressure each time there was a beat. it was installed in an audi a4. i'll see if i could get some pics. but that gave me one idea for a sub-box configuration.

well here's a link to see the car, but too bad that you don't get to see the inside of it,, just the ladies lounging about

http://www.importexpo.net/gallery/09222001/show7.asp
Old 10-07-2001, 10:33 PM

hey dude

appreciate the info..... lookin foward to it!!!!!!!!

ebbie
Old 10-07-2001, 10:44 PM
Advanced

hey people!

here's that link that i was talking about!

http://www.imolas4.com/import_expo/index1.htm

now, what you have to do is try to find pics #DSCN2156 through #DSCN2159! those are the pics that i was talking about in that audi! what do you guys think?

and if you want,,, scroll around and look at the other pics, including the booty contest pics
Old 10-07-2001, 11:09 PM

dude that looks sooo saaaweeeeet

what would that entail!!!!!! and that prolly cost lots...

there are sum creative ppl out there man... gott give em props

ebb
Old 10-08-2001, 12:37 AM
Banned

Yeah those pics look good...just too neon-ish for me =) Don't worry about bandpass if you want one solid booming frequency of bass...as I said it's what I have. You just have to make sure it's tuned for:
1) Your subs
2) You car
3) The frequencies you want

And about blowing them, your best bet there is: Turn the volume of the stereo inside as high as possible, then tune the volume on the amp just to where you hear no distortion. Now you wont be able to hear this in a dual bandpass box...so a good way is to block up the ports in the box...and open the plexiglass front (which I assume you will have...most do) and listen. Once you find that out seal it all back up. That way you'll never blow your system.

Good luck
Austin519
Old 10-08-2001, 05:44 PM

i was thinkin around the same route austin....

it looks like the best way to do this is to get a powerful amp and sub, set it up the way u described but leave it open and mount right on the rear deck...that way not too muck room is taken and i can decent bass with out getting distortion
Old 10-11-2001, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

ive seen some small subs, that go under the seats, which are made by Kenwood... i've seen this on motortrend few months ago, and it comes with a remote that u can adjust the bass levels... it looked pretty cool...

do u guys know more about this?
Old 10-11-2001, 10:30 PM
Banned

Bass Rumblers...yeah I know the type you're talking about. Also JL even makes some 8w series...8" subs...and you can just about hide those anywhere...

Austin519
Old 10-12-2001, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

so, are they any good?
Old 10-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Banned

The Bass Rumblers? Yeah, but they make your butt feel weird to sit on for too long. The JL 8's? The 8w6's are #1 in their size class...

Austin519