Simple Audio Question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple Audio Question..

hey guys,

okay listen heres the deal...i have a Sony Stereo...with really good sound...so ive decided to take it to college....but im having such a hard time finding the right cables because all of these RADIOSHACK...BEST BUY...CIRCUIT CITY assholes keep telling me to buy the wrong cables...but im wondering if anyone can tell me what cable to buy....specifically so i can walk into the store and be like...give me this cable....so here it is...

i am fond of the whole iHOME thing.....so i decided to purchase it...the iHOME has a LINE OUT port and a LINE IN port.......i have an RCA Cable....so i took the RCA cable...plugged it into the LINE OUT port on the iHOME....my stereo does not have a single RCA line in...it has a WHITE and RED....(RIGHT & LEFT) port...so i went to best buy....and the guy told me i needed a "female to mini rca" so i bought that....and i plugged in the RCA to the ADAPTER...and plugged the adapter into the stereo.....i turned on the auxillary part on the stereo (theres only one so i double checked everything) i turned on the iHome....and put something to play on the ipod...and it dosn't work.....so i tried hooking something simple up to it like my laptop....didn't work....hooked up my ipod...dosn't work....someone please tell me what im doing wrong or what i need to buy
Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not the guys at best buy's fault

what is the line out port on the iHome?
I tried looking for it but couldnt find it. Mini plug? rca connector?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

RCA Connector

and the stereo works...i know that because i use to have my DVD player hooked up to it
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
o-qua tangin wann

Unhappy

i looked and found this: http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...3&dept_id=1000
it seems to be the only accessory that you can get for it.... but the ends of it are mini plugs, so i dont think you'd have luck connecting it to anything

another thought: have you used a y-cable yet (mini to stereo rca)-- this is what i used to use for my laptop.
http://sewelldirect.com/Monster-AICIP-7.asp
^^ overpriced monstercable version, LOOKS like it'd work, but i dont think it would--if im not mistaken this is almost what you've tried.

Line Out Operation
You can connect the iH5 to another line-level device such as an amplifier or recording device through the  Line
Out Jack located at the back of the unit. The volume setting on the iH5 does not affect the line level. Adjust
volume level using the volume control on the device you connnect to.
^^http://www.ihomeaudio.com/pdf/iH5manual_version1.pdf
so basically, putting it into your microphone jack on ur receiver

honestly, i think ur SOL, but i s'pose u should wait till someone else can confirm that

If you want to listen to ur ipod through your stereo, you should get the mostercable set listed above, or any other y-cable and just bypass the whole iHome thing unless it has some special functionality i dunno about--but it seems the whole point of it is to have speakers / clock, and if you'd rather listen to it through your receiver, thats a choice you'll have to make.

you got a Sony es or something?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM
o-qua tangin wann

my bizzle, i dont think it is from what i've seen; but u said the thing is an RCA out.
If thats the case, then its just a digital cable, plug it into the optical in on ur receiver
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

If this is the "simple audio question", I don't think I'm ready for a hard one.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

lol i figure it would be a simple audio question for the people that know about audio stuff....anywho

thanks for ur help blazin boot...but i took my stereo to radioshack....and all the plugs ive been using and told them to make it work...and they did...apparently the moron at the circuit city i went to gave me an AUDIO / VIDEO cable....when i needed an adapter....fucking morons....thanks for everyones help
Old 09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigblazinboot
my bizzle, i dont think it is from what i've seen; but u said the thing is an RCA out.
If thats the case, then its just a digital cable, plug it into the optical in on ur receiver
that would be coaxial, not RCA
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by phipark
that would be coaxial, not RCA

Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Digital audio cables have RCA plugs on the ends... even if they are coax cables.