Running both stock and aftermarket decks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM
SIM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running both stock and aftermarket decks?

Hi i want to know if i can have both stock and aftermarket decks running ? I own a tsx. Is this possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
anything's possible with enough time effort and money...

but seriously, we're going to need more details to actually help you...
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
first question would be why??? what are you trying to achieve by doing this???
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Instructor

all aboard the failboat
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 AM
4th Gear

Hi... I was wondering the same thing as SIM. I have a 2004 TSX without Nav. The reason I want to do this is so I could play my iPod with the new HU and still have access to play my CDs on my stock deck. I'm looking to install the Alpine iDA-X100 where the center storage is located. Any opinions? Thanks!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hubienj
Hi... I was wondering the same thing as SIM. I have a 2004 TSX without Nav. The reason I want to do this is so I could play my iPod with the new HU and still have access to play my CDs on my stock deck. I'm looking to install the Alpine iDA-X100 where the center storage is located. Any opinions? Thanks!!!
Buy a headunit that has both an auxilary jack and a CD player. Most CD players come iPod ready which lets you connect the ipod directly to it and control it through the head, it will still show you artists and song names but it will be displayed off of it.

Or if you are feeling crazy buy a sony walkman and plug it in to the headphone jack on the alpine, just make sure it has anti-skip.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Aw man, I used to do that. I had a Soundstream D60 hooked up to some Boston components in my 76 Celica. I had it right under my dash and I had a CD walkman that I used headphones to RCA's, plugged it right into the D60 and held it on my lap the WHOLE time I drove. It was sweet.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by blackasscls
Buy a headunit that has both an auxilary jack and a CD player. Most CD players come iPod ready which lets you connect the ipod directly to it and control it through the head, it will still show you artists and song names but it will be displayed off of it.

Or if you are feeling crazy buy a sony walkman and plug it in to the headphone jack on the alpine, just make sure it has anti-skip.
I like the display the iDA-x100 has. Will both decks work together or do I have to sacrifice my factory deck?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Racer

I like the display the iDA-x100 has. Will both decks work together or do I have to sacrifice my factory deck?
Well i dont blame you i like the way that one looks too but I don't see why it cant just fold down and have a CD player. If you get the wiring Diagram for the wires the plug into the stock unit and splice them all and connect both the Stock head and Aftermarket head It will work just make sure one is off and never have both on at the same time.......Honestly thats the only way i could see it work and it just seems risky. Unless you hook up a toggle switch between the power wires so that you can switch between which one gets power and which one doesnt......my question is where do you plan on putting another headunit while leaving the stock one in there?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^ this is probably the only way to do it... Go with the toggle switch for the power, and you should be good... other than that, I can't really see any way to do this
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
if this is all for the ipod, why not just get the dice kit?

you could use the stock head unit as a cd changer + am/fm tuner with the steering wheel controls, then use the new deck for any other functions.

if you get a deck that has a balanced/differential in you're good to go, otherwise, search for some threads by mercman and read up on the balun he sells. that would convert the signal from the head unit to regular line level. this uses up the line in, but if your using an ipod, hd-radio, satellite receiver they will use a different connection anyway.

keep in mind that there are 8 speaker outputs in the amp total, 2 each for:

tweeters in dash (oem amp has a HPF @~2k)
front doors (oem amp has a LPF @~2k)
rear doors (full range?)
rear 6x9's (oem amp has a LPF somewhere, and a crappy bass boost too)

castles_saloon has a thread where this is covered in depth...

if you get components in the front, that saves 2 channels because you can use the crossover that comes with them. if you're keeping the stock speakers, you can buy a passive crossover.

many people remove the rear 6x9 cause there's nothing in that size that's designed for free-air use and will give you decent bass. if you put a sub in the car, you can hear it more clearly with the 6x9's taken out. you'll want to make sure your replacement deck has enough channels or buy something external for the back (for either 6x9's or a sub).
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by blackasscls
Well i dont blame you i like the way that one looks too but I don't see why it cant just fold down and have a CD player. If you get the wiring Diagram for the wires the plug into the stock unit and splice them all and connect both the Stock head and Aftermarket head It will work just make sure one is off and never have both on at the same time.......Honestly thats the only way i could see it work and it just seems risky. Unless you hook up a toggle switch between the power wires so that you can switch between which one gets power and which one doesnt......my question is where do you plan on putting another headunit while leaving the stock one in there?
Thanks blackasscls and mattastick! That seems too much of a pain for me. I was planning on putting the Alpine HU in the center storage compartment with OEM mp3 attachment kit. It's not the end of the world if I dont have a CD player. Just thought it would be nice if there was an easy way to do it.

Quick question for you guys. Is it possible to add the new HU as an auxiliary to my stock radio? or is that stupid??? I'm a novice with this stuff, if you haven't noticed. Thanks!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by feuss2
if this is all for the ipod, why not just get the dice kit?

you could use the stock head unit as a cd changer + am/fm tuner with the steering wheel controls, then use the new deck for any other functions.

if you get a deck that has a balanced/differential in you're good to go, otherwise, search for some threads by mercman and read up on the balun he sells. that would convert the signal from the head unit to regular line level. this uses up the line in, but if your using an ipod, hd-radio, satellite receiver they will use a different connection anyway.

keep in mind that there are 8 speaker outputs in the amp total, 2 each for:

tweeters in dash (oem amp has a HPF @~2k)
front doors (oem amp has a LPF @~2k)
rear doors (full range?)
rear 6x9's (oem amp has a LPF somewhere, and a crappy bass boost too)

castles_saloon has a thread where this is covered in depth...

if you get components in the front, that saves 2 channels because you can use the crossover that comes with them. if you're keeping the stock speakers, you can buy a passive crossover.

many people remove the rear 6x9 cause there's nothing in that size that's designed for free-air use and will give you decent bass. if you put a sub in the car, you can hear it more clearly with the 6x9's taken out. you'll want to make sure your replacement deck has enough channels or buy something external for the back (for either 6x9's or a sub).
Hey feuss2... I like the display on the iDAx100. With the Dice kit and like others, I can't get the music info displayed on the stock radio. Also, you bring up something else I'm wanted to do, which is to install a sub. It seems like it'll be easier to install a sub with an aftermarket HU than it is to the TSX's stock deck. At least this is what the guy at 6th Ave was explaining to me. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Racer

Thanks blackasscls and mattastick! That seems too much of a pain for me. I was planning on putting the Alpine HU in the center storage compartment with OEM mp3 attachment kit. It's not the end of the world if I dont have a CD player. Just thought it would be nice if there was an easy way to do it.

Quick question for you guys. Is it possible to add the new HU as an auxiliary to my stock radio? or is that stupid??? I'm a novice with this stuff, if you haven't noticed. Thanks!!!
Nah it's not a dumb idea but it would be kind of the same thing. I dont think the Alpine would have the out puts, unless you tap into the stocl power supply from the radio and then hooked up auxilary in's to the stock head unit and connected the pre-amp outputs from the alpine, like for speaker amplifiers, you know? I didn't really mess around with the stock head unit I replaced it with and aftermarket 2 weeks after i bought the car, im not much for maintaing a stock sound system. Ill be honest tho CD player is almost nosacrifice at all its always either zune or USB for me.