Request opinions/suggestions about replacement 6.5" speaker install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Registered AssHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request opinions/suggestions about replacement 6.5" speaker install.

I'm going for the minimal hassle approach.

Personally I find the TSX stereo loud enough and sounding okay. However, I would like to clean up the sound some by getting crisper/tighter sounds, especially in the bass.

Unfortunately I have no desire to go for a full sub or replacement amp at this time.

The net result is I would like to first replace all 4 6.5" door speakers.

After educating myself (crash course) over the past few hours about car audio and the various installs in TSXs, Accords, and RSXs I have chosen the following installation path:

1) Remove door panels

2) Install Polk EX365 or db650 (2" top mount, 2-40/60 Wrms, 40/55-30kHz).

3) May require a 1/4" to 1/2" spacer for magnet to clear window.

Short and sweet (hopefully). Is there anything I'm missing here?

- Just use some MDF or whatever to create spacer?

- Use stock speaker grill?

- Sound levels remain the same?

- Effectively clear up sound?

- Soldered in or use connectors?

TIA.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:13 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Request opinions/suggestions about replacement 6.5" speaker install.

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I'm going for the minimal hassle approach.

Personally I find the TSX stereo loud enough and sounding okay. However, I would like to clean up the sound some by getting crisper/tighter sounds, especially in the bass.

Unfortunately I have no desire to go for a full sub or replacement amp at this time.

The net result is I would like to first replace all 4 6.5" door speakers.

After educating myself (crash course) over the past few hours about car audio and the various installs in TSXs, Accords, and RSXs I have chosen the following installation path:

1) Remove door panels

2) Install Polk EX365 or db650 (2" top mount, 2-40/60 Wrms, 40/55-30kHz).

3) May require a 1/4" to 1/2" spacer for magnet to clear window.

Short and sweet (hopefully). Is there anything I'm missing here?

TIA.
Hey Lung, I cant really help you out here...but I am pretty much in the same boat as you and wanting to do the same thing. If you could document what you do..or even take pictures..that would totally kick ass.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: Re: Request opinions/suggestions about replacement 6.5" speaker install.

Originally posted by fdl
Hey Lung, I cant really help you out here...but I am pretty much in the same boat as you and wanting to do the same thing. If you could document what you do..or even take pictures..that would totally kick ass.
I will. I know some others here and at the OTHER site have done similar installs with similar speakers and have documented some things. Check out the following threas:

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthrea...talled+speaker

for a text install with Polk and Alpines (Alpines are very nearly too deep).

Also look at this one for a good series of rear door removal pictures:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1989

I'll be doing all four doors and will try to take step by step pictures of a front and back door with my crapola digital camera.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Racer

Re: Request opinions/suggestions about replacement 6.5" speaker install.

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi

TIA.
MDF should be fine, you might want to wrap it in some Dynamat for some extra reinforcement.

Don't use the speaker grill that came with the speaker, you want just the speaker and just the door covering

Sound levels might be a smidge lower, as these speakers require more power, but they are fairly efficient too..

Yes they will clear up sound a great bit Polks are some wonderful speakers.

The proper way to do the connectors is to solder it and then put heatshink tube on it. basically put the tube over one of the wires and feed the wire through a bit, then braid the two wires together and solder. Then pull the tube up over the solder and use a cigrette lighter or something real quick to shrink the tubing over it. It'll be a great tight connection

As far as what speaker to go with. If you are keeping stock amp, go with the EX series, you might not hear enough of a difference with the dB series since those need more power. If you plan on upgrading the amps later on, then get the dB now, and then when you change the amps, the dB (or even the EX) will sound cleaner, more detailed and textured, and punchier.

good luck, it'll sound great

-vasu
Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Registered AssHat

Thanks Vasu. As always, good comments.

On a side note, I'm a professional electrical engineer. Soldering/heatshrink/wiring is almost second nature to me anymore.

And, good call on the dBs versus the EXs. Right now I don't know the discounted price difference between the two (waiting on a quote). I figured both sets of speakers were more capable than the stock amp anyway.

But, I also don't know the future of stereo upgrades either. I MIGHT try to see how to put in a convenient small sub in the back deck, but that's going to need a separate amp anyway. And right now, I just don't have the desire to involve myself in yet another project of that scale. (In the past month: one old mid tower computer rebuild, one new SFF computer build with upcoming mods - stealth DVD+/-RW and sheetmetal cutting, upgraded two TiVos, installed DirecTV, new sofa and chair, and a MTB overhaul...and I haven't even begun to sell my old crap on eBay yet)

So, my list of parts is now:

heatshrink, soldering tools, panel removal tool (borrow), spacers, dynamat (or brownbread, etc.), EX365/db650 speakers, and possibly a drill to cut new screw holes in the metal.

I think using the above example links I'm in good shape.