TL: replace the stereo in 2003 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace the stereo in 2003 TL

I am on my 2nd 2003 TL with both of them having CD errors to the extent on not being able to use the cd player (after trying the different hints). Now I am going to replace the stereo and want advise on what brand (model) I should look at. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my factory 6 disk radio from my 03 tl if your interested.It worked fine.
50.00 shipped if you want it.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the offer but after having issues with two different cars for 8 years we are going to opt to replace.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:58 AM
Intermediate

I have a pioneer DD HU but, I can't get my factory sub to work. Right now it's too cold to figure it out. If you do end up getting them to work please show me.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kpaxson
I am on my 2nd 2003 TL with both of them having CD errors to the extent on not being able to use the cd player (after trying the different hints). Now I am going to replace the stereo and want advise on what brand (model) I should look at. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Today's head unit's offer so much more than our factory radio did 12 years ago. One of the things I appreciate about the 2004+ models was the technology that Honda put into them. Do you actually carry around CDs anymore? If so, is it only because your factory radio didn't offer anything better? Carrying around media is mostly a thing of the past. Today's modern cars don't even offer a CD player anymore. What they do offer is Bluetooth audio and hands free phone calls, as well as internet capability. If you have a decent smart phone and a good data plan, you can stream many of the internet offerings, play your music wirelessly and get turn by turn directions from apps like WAZE (which offer real time driving conditions). With the real estate our huge stock radios give us, I would get at a minimum double din, touchscreen, with all the latest features. I am entertaining replacing my own radio, only after I have already integrated my Galaxy S5 (FM Modulator), aftermarket sub and the latest DVD for my Nav (all in the last 6 months). The allure of a new radio with the latest wireless technology will make me love my TL even more. If you couldn't tell, I am also an AV engineer, so these things I truly am passionate about. Which new unit to get should be based on your own wants, budget and needs over what someone else has gotten for themselves. I used to work in the car audio industry, and I can tell you that most name brands are pretty decent, just stay away from Chinese crap and someone's used radio. Companies like Best Buy and HH Gregg are a good place to put your hands on what you may prefer, then the internet will get you the best price. If you are not savy enough to install the unit yourself (our radios are truly a pain in the ass to get out), pay $45-60 for a professional installation. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Is your car non-navi? navi? (Former Tweeter/HiFi Buys, MECP installer here) I'm about to test out an off brand DDIN from ( I know I know) CHINA. It's LOADED though, BU camera, GPS, bluetooth, USB, Ipod/phone, sd card, dvd player, aux in x2, built in 50w RMS amp, as well as pre-outs for our retarded Bose systems and yes there is a way to incorporate the factory sub, use sub out RCA on the rear, hook a Y adapter to it, run ONE RCA cable back to the sub amp behing the rear seat then chop off the rca plug, the inner conductor will be + the outer one will be - and hook to the two signal in wires for the amp, hang on i'll get the colors from a DIY on here but theyre different from year to year, suggest wiring diagram from Acura factory service manual for this part.... But, back to my chinese tester, it's actually really solid, no cheap plastic and was only $160 so if it goes south I haven't lost $1600 instead.... The maps can even be updated through an SD card it comes with that goes right in the front. ALOT simpler than the factory one I have above it. AND $0.00 to update. But for advice, Groovemaster is right.... get quality. Alpine will always be my favorite but your gonna pay big.