Remote start/car alarm install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Remote start/car alarm install?

Does anyone know how hard it is to install a remote start/car alarm? I talked to the local shops around here (southwest ohio) and none of them seem competent enough to keep their store clean, let alone install something like this... But after doing some research and talking to some people on here, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard. It seems like it would be just hooking up the correct wire to the correct place, but maybe I'm crazy. If anyone can provide some insight to an install like this, that'd be great.

Also, if anyone could suggest a good unit for just simple remote start/alarm/trunk pop, that'd be great. I've been looking at Viper, Clifford, all other DEI stuff.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if you have basic knowledge of how to use a meter and how a relay works... you should be good to install this on your own... can you give us an idea of your electronic knowledge??? can you install a stereo system??? run an amp or do a simple HU or speaker install???

yes you are correct where it would be simply just connecting the correct wires to the right place but wire schematics are never 100% correct so you would need to know how to read the meter to test the leads... basically you should know when an output should read ground or when you should have 12+V...

DEI is a great manufacturer... i just got the Hornet 2-way pager system for my lady's corolla and i installed it myself within a few hours... from your avatar it looks like you have a 1st gen CL??? if so, you don't have to worry about immobilizers or transponder keys... so it will be a straight forward install...

what year is your car??? 2.2 or 3.0?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Stereo's are cake. I installed a new deck (Alpine 9884) and all new speakers (Polk/Momo components MMC5250's up front and 6500's replacing the stock 6x9's in the back) powered by a Rockford 450.4 and then a T110D2 in the back powered by a Rockford 450.2 (I know it's underpowered, but that might be changing very soon...)

Also, the car is a 98 2.3 5-speed CL.

I was looking at the Viper 7901 and 791xv and the clifford 50.7X specifically. I thought I needed some kind of bypass module since the keys are chipped. This would theoretically make the install harder, but I looked at the scematic for the 1st gen CL, and it didn't look that hard at all... It was for an idatalink ads-tbsl ha transponder bypass module.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

are u sure you need the bypass??? if i remember correctly Acura didn't introduce immobilizers until 99?? i have a 98 TL and i don't have a transponder...

didn't realize your car was a MT... you may have some issues with a RS... some consider it dangerous to install a RS on MT... you can always bypass the clutch but make sure that you always park with the car in neutral... or it will continue to lurch forward while trying to start if you leave it in gear... they do have MT specific units but you will have to look for it...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Drifting

What (if any) extra difficulty is there in installing a RS for a MT? Is it just a couple of more wires? I know that the Clifford and 1 of the Vipers has a "manual transmission" mode, which I've heard means you have to go through a small process when you turn the car off so that it will "enable" the RS for the next time you go to start the car.

As for the bypass, I've heard multiple times that I'd need one... http://www.idatalink.com/store/index...uct_detail&p=3 shows that the thing is made for the 1st gen CL. Now, I understand that just because it's made for the car, doesn't necessarily mean that I'll need it, but still, I don't want to lose a key. I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, because really, I'm only going off of what a couple of places have told me (2 install shops in my area that aren't getting anywhere near my car, and a DEI technical rep over the phone).
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

well i'll be a rat's @$$... the immobilizer was introduced on the CL from since 97... sorry just that im not familiar with the CL since i have only worked on my TLs... and it didn't introduce until the 2G TL...

if you are going to use a bypass, i would highly recommend the CRIME STOPPER - KEYOVERRIDE-ALL... it will save you alot of time... if you google it, you can find alot of info on the unit... but the reason i prefer this one is because you make all your connections at the steering column with this unit... other units will require you to tap and cut wires from your ECU... which is just a hassle... i used a directed XK05 http://www.bypasskit.com/ on the corolla and it just wasn't as easy as the CS unit above.

yes some of the new units have a MT mode where in order for you to use the remote start, you need to shut off the car with the remote start... basically leave your car in neutral running, then activate your remote start to keep it running... remove your key and then arm the alarm and shut down the vehicle... sorta works like a turbo timer...

to be honest i haven't done a recent install with the newer models that support MT, so i really can't give you too much advise on this... the last MT i did was with a regular unit and all i did was bypass the clutch with relays so that the unit can start without having the clutch down... i think this is better with the newer units since they now have neutral recognition fail safe requirements in order for the unit to start... back then this wire didn't exist so anyone that left the car in gear would have to chase after their car...

if you are getting closer to doing this install and need more help... i would highly recommend you signin up to the12volt.com... i am a member on there too and alot of pro installers are members that give advise to each other...
Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just put a clifford 3.3x into my car. It wasn't too hard, if you know your wiring schematics, and understand how to tap wires and stuff.

I had a little problem, cause I didn't know the remote start was defaulted for a manual transmission. Seems kinda counterintuitive, considering it was never recommended in manuals before. I got help on the12volt.com, but felt pretty stupid cause I didn't read the manual. But the new DEI's I guess have a lot of safety measure for manual transmission. I think they have a parking brake sensor, as well as a requiring a ground pulse before you arm the alarm. And I think you'd also have to wire the clutch bypass.

I guess it is defaulted for manual transmission as it is more secure rather than having people just throw it in a manual and have it defaulted for automatic, and not having all the proper security features activated.

I don't know a lot about the key thing. I think there is some kinda key sensor output for cars that require having a key to start, but I'm not sure if that would cover the need for specific chipped keys. I didn't have to do this either.