Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio

Changed battery and I went to the dealership to get radio code. they gave me my code, but it does not work. I also called acura customer support and they gave me the same code, but it does not work. any suggestions? i was thinking about just buying a new radio for my 98 cl, but the guy told me that is not a good idea to do that because it is a bose system and the sound will not sound good. He told me i had to buy new speakers and wires and all of that! i dont want to spend that much because of a stupid radio, is it a scam? should i just buy just a new unit? thanks... I Need advice
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

You certainly can change the head unit without changing all the speakers, wires and such. I just put in a Kenwood DDX-7019 yesterday in my 2006 MDX. I did use a level adapter to better match the levels of the Bose amp. Some people I know have not needed the adapter but I did. Without it, the sound was really distorted. But, needless to say, it can be done with no problems.

Hopefully uncald can chime in with a better explanation as he will actually make you a harness with or without the adapter.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by R3ebok
Changed battery and I went to the dealership to get radio code. they gave me my code, but it does not work. I also called acura customer support and they gave me the same code, but it does not work. any suggestions? i was thinking about just buying a new radio for my 98 cl, but the guy told me that is not a good idea to do that because it is a bose system and the sound will not sound good. He told me i had to buy new speakers and wires and all of that! i dont want to spend that much because of a stupid radio, is it a scam? should i just buy just a new unit? thanks... I Need advice
The guy gave you some inexperienced advice. Do you have the BOSE system in your CL. If you do you can use a simple integration piece. PAC Audio makes the OEM-2 which is made for adding an aftermarket deck to a BOSE system. This retains your BOSE amp and speakers. The OEM-2 only costs about $50 and most car audio shops carry them. If your speakers do not say BOSE on the grills.... it's not amped and you don't need any special parts at all.

Word?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

ok

appreciate it! now iam going to throw my factory unit out and get a new one, i just wasn't too sure
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
4th Gear

Nvm!!

I went to best buy today to get a new radio and he was talking about $150 dollars to install it because of the bose system. Is there a cd player that is similar to the acura bose head unit, so i do not have to buy the pac oem2 etc.?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
check ebay or check these forums to see if someones selling a used one. its really hard to believe that none of the codes you have worked -- could it be possible that the headunit that came with the VIN is not the same? Did they require you to read a serial number off of the back of the head unit?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 PM
4th Gear

I gave them the serial number that was on the radio. i dunno what could be wrong, i put the code in the right way, and when i can't do it anymore. i take the fuse out and try again.. i also disconnected the battery for a while, but still not working... they probably inputed the wrong code on their computer system.. what would you do then?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ask them to read it back to you...maybe 0/O got mixed up?

also try ownerlink -- i think there was somthing in here about recovering codes...IIRC
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
Old 01-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by R3ebok
I went to best buy today to get a new radio and he was talking about $150 dollars to install it because of the bose system. Is there a cd player that is similar to the acura bose head unit, so i do not have to buy the pac oem2 etc.?
That's bullshit bro. Installers get all petrified when they see BOSE. I know, I used to be that way. If you buy a deck.... send me the harness... I'll wire it up with the OEM-2 and Metra harness for $65 shipped. It would be a "plug and play" install for you, or your installer.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Originally Posted by uncald4
That's bullshit bro. Installers get all petrified when they see BOSE. I know, I used to be that way. If you buy a deck.... send me the harness... I'll wire it up with the OEM-2 and Metra harness for $65 shipped. It would be a "plug and play" install for you, or your installer.
Yeah he's right but it's more that inexperienced installers get all scared when they see bose, hk, inf gold, etc.

We used to get codes for customers for free and I remember getting a couple TL's that wouldn't accept the codes that were given from the SN. after calling the Dealership they advised bringing the car to a Acura service center for them to replace the radio free of charge. Now I have never heard of an official recall nor have i seen anything about it here on the forums but i do remember them saying this.

Also, and this may b a little obvious, but u know the radio will lock up if the code's entered incorrectly 3 times right?