Questions before install on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 01:50 AM
Racer

Post Questions before install on Friday

Hey guys I'm installing my long awaited system this week but I want to get a few things clear before I start tearing things apart.

This is what I'm working with:
DLS CA-41 Amp
MB Quarts RCE-216s
Alpine Type-Rs 6x9s

Questions:

1) Should I rewire the speakers with a lower guage? Would I benefit from it?

2) What crossover settings should I use for my setup?

3) How do I go about removing the passenger seat? I heard that I should turn on the car without the seat or the Airbag light will go off...can that light be removed if I took the (-) terminal off? That way I can test the system and crossover settings before I put the seat back.

4) Any secrets or tips on hiding speaker wire and the rca's?

5) Will I have to remove anything other than the two bins, panels, and the seat?

6) Any other suggestions, tips, or tricks?

Thanks guys and especially thanks to Elduderino for his help on Monday.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:56 AM
Racer

7) How do I remove the tweeter's? I know they pop off but whats the best way? Is there any tips or tricks on getting the MB Quart tweeters to fit in the OE grill?
Old 08-11-2005 | 08:57 AM
VP Electricity

1) Derrick and a couple others feel they heard a real difference by rewiring the speakers in the car. I have never done an A/B, speaker-wire-rewire as the only change comparison myself. It's a real PITA to get wires into the door, so I usually don't do it. This is gonna have to be your call. I know you can make it sound really good with the OEM wire, but I can't tell you that it wouldn't help - I'm just not willing to guarantee that it will make that big a diff.

2) On the amp I would set the LP to the R at like 75 or 80, the HP to the R at like 35 or 40 (experiment with this one the most), and the HP to the front at like 65 to 80. (how low you can run these depends a lot on how good a job you do on the install - check out my thread in the DIY section on making mating spacers).

3) If you pull the (-) terminal you can't run the system... so what I do is unbolt the seat, unplug all the plugs, pull it, get the amp all in, put some masking tape on top of the amp to keep it from getting scratched, carefully set the seat back in, and then plug in the connectors. No bolts yet.

Now I can tilt the seat forwards till the HR rests on the dash for amp adjustments, and carefully set it back down for listening, and the connectors are still plugged in to prevent any airbag issues.

4) Plenty of places to route them. You might want to get some black duct tape to tape them in place to prevent them from getting under a seat bracket.

5) You will need to pull the Pass kick panel and running board to get wiring down under the seat and stuff.

6) Figure out where the MB Quart passive xovers are going. In my car I put the passive xovers against the passenger side firewall under the carpet (I removed some of the 3/4" padding to make this easier). If you put the xover boxes too far to the left, one of them can pick up noise from the Airbag ECU or something and you get engine noise out of one tweeter with the car running and the stereo OFF - so put them as far outboard as possible.

7) If you have a small right-angle pick tool, yoy can insert that in one edge (preferably a side, not the aft end you look at all day) and gently pry.

As far as mounting goes, I've never done it, but you might be able to make some brackets that snap to the udnerside of the grille. Ask jiggaman, I know he put those in... or make a bracket that drops the new tweet in the hole where it doesn't stick up too high, and then set the grille back in the hole. This one will be easiest for you to figure out once you just go pull the darn tweeter out and look at it : )
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:17 PM
Racer

Thanks again Elduderino