Questions about adding DVD/CD reciever to factory nav.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 11:34 AM
Rickrack79@hotmail.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about adding DVD/CD reciever to factory nav.

I recently bought an 03' CL with navigation and I would like to install an in-dash CD reciever with DVD video player. What I would like to do is remove my factory in-dash 6 CD changer/reciever and add a multi-media station. I want to know what would be then best way to do this. I know that some people do the nav conversions so they can watch DVD's over the nav screen but I'd rather keep it seperate so I can use my nav at all times and be able to watch a DVD on the other unit. I also want to be able to play Playstation on it and have the option to add onto it someday if I want to because I would like to install video monitors to both sun visors. Will I be able to run an additional 2 monitors off of the one DVD/CD reciever unit? If I install the multimedia station and decide to add the 2 monitors to the headrests will I also be able to build onto my stereo or will this be too much for the unit? Right now I am running my stock speakers with an added subwoofer enclosure and amplifier in my trunk but I would like to amp my stock speakers also. Is it possible to have all of this or am I dreaming? If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this or if anyone HAS done this I am curious how. Any pictures would be cool!
Old 06-20-2002, 01:30 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

RickRack :

First, what you want to do is very plausible. Let me paraphrase what you want to do and you let me know if Im on the money.

You would like to REPLACE the STOCK head unit with an AFTERMARKET head unit. This unit should be in-dash and have CD & DVD capabilities. You do NOT want to do the video to navi conversion to add a screen as you would like to be able to use the nav at the same time as watching a DVD. You would also like to be able to play PS and have the option to add other composite inputs and outputs later. You have already added a sub and are looking to amp your stock speakers.

If that is right, I have some QUESTIONS for you :

1) how much are you looking to spend?

2) are you going to do this install yourself or spend the money and go with an installer?

3) do you want a flush screen or a motorized screen in your console to replace your stock player

4) do you need features like dolby digital / dts decoding

Now, some points I would like to add :

1) if you install this yourself, you will be able to spend a BUNCH more money on the equipment or save a bunch of money

2) if you choose to go with the dolby digital/dts route you will need a center speaker to REALLY experience the DVD

3) DONT AMP YOUR STOCK SPEAKERS.... they are not good speakers and operate on a VERY low impedence. With more power, you will blow them very quickly

4) PICTURES -- just let me know what you want to look at and I am sure I can take a picture of it

5) EQUIPMENT - preliminarily I would suggest the pioneer multimedia system. This would consist of a motorized/fulsh monitor and a brain. The monitor is going to facilitate all the system functions and display what is "going on" whereas the brain is just that - a brain to handle all of the work like decoding, pre-amp, eq, etc....

For you, I would probably suggest the pioneer AVM-p7300DVD with the AVX-p9000r. The AVM unit is your monitor and provides a very good 7" motorized screen along with an integrated cd/dvd player. The 9000r brain will handle all of the dolby digital, dts and eq functions. Let me know if this sounds about right for ya!

AdamR
Old 06-20-2002, 01:31 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

oh, out of curiosity, what amp/sub are you using?

AdamR
Old 06-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Rickrack79@hotmail.com

You are right on with what I would like to do. I'm not really sure on how much I want to spend yet but I know that I am really serious about doing this so I'm not too worried about the price yet. Once my mind is made up about something I get excited and always seem to find a way to pay for it. I would love to be able to install it by myself and save some $$ but I think that it's too much for me to tackle by myself since I have limited knowledge when it comes to stereo's. I had a custom stereo in my 95' Tahoe that was pretty impressive. Everything but the reciever was A/D/S and I had installed by a high end stereo shop next to my old detail shop.I had everything from a bass control knob to bass shakers underneath both front seats. I had over $8000 worth of the receipts but only paid about $3500 total out of my pocket but I no longer have the connection.I was very pleased the way it came out. I'm the type of person that would rather spend a little extra $$ to have it done right instead of having it come out less than perfect just to save a few bucks.
As of now, I am running a band pass box with (2)A/D/S 10" subs powered by an A/D/S P4100 amplifier which is rated 2X300 watts RMS power. I have a matching P4100 that I would like to use to power my seperates.Used as a 4 channel, it's rated 4X100 RMS power. You said that it would be a waste of time to amp my stock speakers so I will probably end up installing some aftermarket ones.I also have a pair of A/D/S 336is 6 1/2 inch seperates that I could use for the doors. They're the same ones I used in my truck and I liked them alot. What would you recommend that I use for the speakers in place of the 6X9's in the rear decklid? Do they make any decent 6X9's that I could use or would you recommend that I replace them with something similar to the 6 1/2 inch seperates? I want a unit with a motorized screen but I'm not sure about the Dolby DTS. Will it make a huge difference or will it be OK if I do not add a center channel? What would you recommend? I appreciate the time you've taken to help me and answer some of my questions. Any guess on how much all of this would be to do?