Question about rear 6x9's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about rear 6x9's.

I was wondering if you could swap out the stock 6x9's and putting better ones. I saw some Infinity, I think, 6x9's that where 160 or 170 watt's. I dont want to put subs in because a lot of people like subs, if you know what I mean. I dont need that much bass, but something that's better then those crappy stock ones. Anyone know some good 6x9's that are 160-200 watt's, each.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I swapped out my 6x9's with Pioneer TS-D690R and the response is definately cleaner. It's a great set and they fit perfectly. The response is better than stock and well worth the mod. Better check to see if people fit the 6x9's in before you buy just in case, I heard someone tried putting his 6x9's in and it didn't fit.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Banned

Those look way better then the stock ones. Do they give more power, how much more power, is there like a a lot of watt gain?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:19 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As I'm waiting for pie room to develop...

1) The R 6x9 play bass only. 6x9 woofers are hard to find so most people get full-range 6x9s and they don't play any mids or highs.

2) It's easy to find LOUDER 6x9s. This has to do with efficency - how much dB they put out with a given wattage input. Speakers do NOT have watts - they receive watts from an amp and your amp is remaining the same, so your watts are too. Your statement about speakers having watts is incorrect and indicates you should read the sticky pots about TSX audio FAQs and general audio FAQs in this section.

3) Most louder 6x9's don't play as low. You get more volume in the upper end of their range at the cost of lower notes.

4) If you want something better than stock get the MB Quart RCE269 and don't use the tweet or xover and sell those on eBay.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

MB Quart RCE269 is to much. I would rather get the Pioneer TS-D690R.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's fine..that you don't want to spend the extra money....and go to the trouble buying on selling on ebay.

But, just like Eld said: Most louder 6x9's don't play as low. You get more volume in the upper end of their range at the cost of lower notes. I agree with his statement. I had some 6x9's from my previous car and I switched them out with the stock ones in the TSX thinking I would get a lot of extra bass. They ended up barely even sounding better than the stock ones so I took them out. I think aftermarket 6x9's are designed to improve the mid and upper range sound more than the bass.

I'm kind of an audiophile though, so to you it might sound a lot better. Try to get the x9's at a place that will let you return them with no hassles if you find out they are not performing like you want. Maybe Circuit City Best Buy or the Good Guys. Make sure to install them yourself, it's easy and they will never refund the price on labor if you have them put it in.

Don't tell eld I said Best Buy though...he hates him some Best Buy...
Old 11-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Banned

I hope its just plug in and play. I dont like the stock ones because they rattle to much, we had them replaced like two times already, time to get some better ones.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Yeah the pioneers are great. I actually got those because I saw a steal on eBay for $58. They were brand new and still wrapped. Probably stolen. MB Quartz are good. I love the Pioneers. I guess between them there will be minimal difference since you aren't going for full range and just the bass.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:58 PM
VP Electricity

Hmmm... you've blown up two sets of 6x9s.

1) Where's your bass control set?

2) What music are you playing?

3) What volumes are you listening at?

The 6x9's are not great - but if you've blown two sets, you are asking for more that the system can deliver, and I strongly suspect you of listening to a clipping amp or overextended speaker until it blows. There's no other way to blow two sets of those in that short of time.

This is not a personal criticism, it's an observation - you are exceeding the limits of your stereo system, and changing only a pair of 6x9's out is no guarantee that you won't do the same thing again - and on a budget, you may not want to. If you are listening to rap with the bass up at high volumes, you are misusing the equipment and need to learn more about what audio sounds like when it distorts.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Banned

Had the car for one year now. Never listen to rap, bass is at the middle or 2nd setting. Listen to music at 20-30. Dont matter what I listen to, the speakers are crap. The 1st ones were good, then the headunit got changed and they started playing bad, got them changed, 2nd time we had to get the headunit changed, the speakers played bad.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
As I'm waiting for pie room to develop...

4) If you want something better than stock get the MB Quart RCE269 and don't use the tweet or xover and sell those on eBay.
How does Polk db690 compare to the MB quart in your opinion?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:05 PM
VP Electricity

Well... it has a 1" dome mid. Usually a 1" dome driver is a tweeter. This speaker uses a .75" tweeter, so it really has two tweeters. No way that 1" driver plays lower than 3000 Hz - the mag isn't big enough and it doesn't have a rear chamber.

So the 6x9 woofer driver is being depended on to go up and meet the bottom end of that 1" driver. The speaker even mentions a 2-way xover (excellent - most 6x9s let the woofer die off gradually and sound bad). But a 6x9 woofer probably doesn't play 2500 Hz very well... so it probably has distant mids...

None of which matters in a TSX OE-replacement scenario - the driver will only be sent bass, so how is the bass? Well, it's probably better than the OE but quieter - the cone is heavier, the surround is stiffer, and the low-pass xover built into the speaker will have some degree of insertion loss, robbing the woofer of some power on the way.

The reason I like the MB Q is NOT because of its full-range sound - it's simply because the tweeter is removeable and I like the 6x9 woofer. If I could readily get the woofer on its own, I would, but it's too big a pain to special order. I might have a line on some 6x9 woofers that outperform the OEs for a good price but it's still being worked out.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know if you ever get those going!

What would be the range that the woofers operate at?
Would be be > 100 Hz.

Since most woofers have crossovers on them that usualy make them play < 80 hz.
Do you think 6x9's woofs are needed to help fill in some of the sound?
Or do you think even if you put some in, it wouldn't be noticeable?