Question about impedance for you speaker gurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about impedance for you speaker gurus

I want to replace the factory speakers up front with some 4 ohm MB Quart separates with an 89 dB sensitivity. I really don't want to add an additional amp if I can help it.

I has been suggested that the factory speakers are some low impedance, maybe 2 ohm, though I haven't seen a definitive post about this.

But, I am also using a crossover in the trunk for my sub amp that I could run the signal through before the signal enters the factory amp. It is set at a crossover frequency of 150 Hz.

As I understand it, a speaker's impedance changes dramatically over the frequency range, with the lowest values being obtained at lower frequencies, rising sharpy at the higher freqencies. Tweeters may have an impedance of 50 ohms or more.

Here is a chart of a random speaker's impedance over the frequency range just to give you an idea of what I mean.

So, will the fact that I will be removing the lower frequencies from the signal make these aftermarket speakers similar enough to the stock ones? Will the good sensitivity of the MB Quarts allow them to play loud enough?

I know I could just get another amp... but what do you think about this?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
I hand out swivel heads

I think you are worrying too much. I guess I could understand if you thought that it might blow something or ruin something, but in this case I think you can replace the speakers and everything will run fine.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Instructor

personally i dont think you would get desirable results if you just changed the stock speakers with the mb quarts... from my experiences with quarts they are not the most efficent speakers out there and when you change the stock 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm mb quarts you would be cutting the power in half... but i dont see any harm in trying.... i mean what is the worst that can happen the speakers dont not perform well and you have to add an after market amp to push them...
Old 02-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

That was the direction I was leaning towards.

If I do damage the stock amp somehow, then I guess I just have to get a real amp.

Now, just to make those Quarts fit in the door!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:32 AM
dynamic Duo!

nice program... did u use PSpice? Orcad?
i could look into that.. but later... gotta finish midterms first... but as others were saying, yeah, ur going into it too much.
if you wanna get tweets, get a new amp. better yet, replace everything.. i hardly see anyone with all this new gear but still keeps the stock Bose amp and head.
but i'll get back to you.