Qforms??? in 1st gen CL

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 04:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qforms??? in 1st gen CL

Hi, I was wondering if anyone have any experience with Qforms in their 1st gen CLs? I am ordering a set of orion hcca 6s components to replace my sony mobile es 5 1/4 components in the stock locations and I'm thinking of getting a set of qforms to mount them into. I heard the stock locations arent that great stereowise(the stock location for the tweeter is far away from the woofer and right next to the winshield). Also, anyone have any experience with building custom fiberglass kickpanels in their CLs? any help would be appreciated.
thanks

DAN
acuradan69@aol.com
98 acura 2.3cl
Old 08-02-2001, 08:59 PM
Instructor

I havent had personal experience with a 1st gen but I noticed noone replied. Maybe I can help a little www.selectproducts.com has a couple how to video's. I think Qforms would be easier tho. would sound just the same to.

Personaly I think those Sony ES's are better than the Orion's. But that is just me
Old 08-02-2001, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

I've built many different sets of kick panels. I know the Accord Qforms kicks will work with our cars no problem. But if you are looking for really good sound, I would highly suggest having kicks custom built. But, If you don't have a lot of experience with fiberglass and bondo, you should probably look into having a shop build them for you ... they can be very tricky and frustrating. Kick panels are better because they direct sound where you want it (eye level, above center of dashboard). Qforms are great because they are prebuilt, no hassle. However, they are not always aimed perfectly (but close) and can be big and bulky. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2001, 03:36 PM
Instructor

dont even bother with q-forms or custom kicks... all a waste of money, especially in the first gen's. If you remove your speaker grill there is 2 screw holes already in the back of the grill, this will give you the ease of installing a coaxial set, but you really have a component set in there. Hopefully you are running an amp to these components, you can turn the volume up on these, matching the volume on your rear speakers and subs if you have them, and run the stock tweeters at a reduced volume (ex: turn the gain up on the aftermarket amps) this will give you great sound, your tweeters are very close to the mid-bass and your stock tweeters are producing a little sound, but just enough to create a more open and enveloping sound. The only other way I can suggest is go with Boston Acoustics new system they have out, you buy the component set and then a add on set of tweeters that plug into the crossovers of the components, these extra tweeters are set as 'ambient' tweeters, producing only limited frequencies to add that extra sound to totally envelope you in great sound, then the tweeter with the components goes down with the woofer. sorry for the long post, I had a lot to say. lol. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:08 PM
speed freak

actually he is not exactly correct...true these cost money...but if you want better sound...you will hear the difference...the difference is almost like switching ur stock speaker to aftermarket...its noticeable...but wat he said about running stock tweeters and running an amp to the coaxials speakers...i wouldnt do it...components sound way better than coaxials do...especially when powered by amps...if ur gonna get a system change all ur stocks, period for best results...since ur gonna pay money get it done right...components give better mids and highs than most coaxials...i would get q forms but with having a clutch pedal that makes it even closer to the speakers im afraid to break it...my friends car broke cuz ppl didnt know it was there so im afraid that will happen to mine if i got them. also not to offend anybody i wouldnt get anything from good guys, circuit city or any store like that including al and eds, most of the time they talk mad shitt, and also the equipment they carry are low to mid range in quality...if you want good components go for diamond audio, focals, dynaudio(the best but expensive), and crystal (cheap for the price). people who know car audio know these brands and will recognize them as higher end if not high end components. but if you're planning to get q forms thenu might as well get good comps.
sorry its so long...but the reason why ppl put q forms in is so that the sound imaging is directed towards ppls ears so that the left and right side speakers hit you almost at the eexact same time compared to stock where the sound is directed side to side...instead qforms will be directed toward your ears...making the sound imaging and delay a lot less...you will hear the difference...trust me...i've had several friends run them in their cars...it will only enhance ur system...i must say im sorry about the long post...but i hope this helps you
Old 08-22-2001, 05:32 PM
Racer

thanks for the advice, I have a set on its way and I am going to fit it with a set of orion hcca 6s components. Do you recommend fiberglassing on them or is dynamatting sufficient?

DAN
acuradan69@aol.com
Old 08-22-2001, 11:41 PM
speed freak

fiberglassing is more for show...for car audio...its either you go for sounds or looks...if u go looks u sacrifice sounds...and vice versa...dynamat you dont really need cuz it doesnt really get rid of any of the rattles on the car...just the loose stuff in ur car that makes the car rattle...
Old 08-22-2001, 11:42 PM
speed freak

actually i think ppl use plexi glass to make it better...i forgot...its been a while since i've been into that stuff