Polk DX6 upgrade report

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polk DX6 upgrade report

After reading of the extensive research done by southbound on the issue of speaker upgrades, I ordered and received a set of Polk DX6s. Last night I removed my door panels and installed them. First off, thanks to the site operators for posting the door panel removal instructions in the FAQs, and second, a HUGE thanks to Mr. southbound for his extensive research!

The installation took about an hour and a half, but that's only because I was putzing around at my own pace, and ran back upstairs to check the thread to verify speaker phasing and a couple of other things. If you read southbounds posts on this topic, and review the FAQ on door panel removal, you will have no problem unless you are challenged with using a screwdriver and pulling electrical plugs.

RESULTS:
Southbound's comments on what to expect are pretty much right on. There is definitely more high-end definition, which you may not realize is missing until you do the swap and hear it. Efficiency is very close to the stock speakers making that a non-issue. The only downside is that indeed, as southbound points out, there is a bit of midrange "suckout" present. I'm not sure if this is due to the Bose equalization or just the nature of a two way speaker, but vocals will be noticeably less forward. BTW, I used both male and femal vocal material for testing (Sarah McGlachlan and James Taylor, I guess that shows my age). Again as southbound points out, the rear door speakers tend to fill this in. For this reason I don't think I'll upgrade my rears. Oh, and after messing with the tone controls I found that using the neutral setting on the treble was overall just right. I usually run the bass at +3 clicks.

On balance this is a very worthwhile upgrade and truly does "wake up" the overall sound image. For a hundred bucks and a couple of hours of your time I'm sure there is NOTHING you could do to provide more improvement.

Kudos to southbound, buy the man a beer!
Old 05-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Randy

Glad you had success. Yeah, it's not the ultimate upgrade, but it's definitely easy and worth doing. Just make sure that you bent or cut off those side terminals on the back of the POLKS so that you don't end up with a short like a couple of people here have. If you've made sure of your terminal clearances and insulated everything well, you should be fine.

I found that the highs were too high at first, and started off by setting the treble down two or three notches. Then my ears adjusted, and I pretty much run it centered now. It definitely matters as to which CD you are playing. Also, I'm not sure if the midrange "suckout" effect is due to the fact that the BOSE had SO MUCH midrange and nothing else... (so again our ears/brain were conditioned to hearing excess midrange) or if it's a factor of the EQ, or as you say, part of the crossover notch of the POLK coaxial speakers. I haven't gotten up the courage to tear apart the dash to bypass the EQ just yet. I want to give my ears some more time to get used to this sound. I also want to keep the warranty issue with the head unit as stock as possible for a while to make sure that I don't have any failures there. I think you will find that your ears will adjust to the overall sound, and would never want to go back to the blaring bland BLOWS. Say that fast three times!lol

Have you tried the terminator mod? If not read the LONGER thread started out by IGGY called "door speakers, change em or no?" It will bring you some clarity and smoothness to the system that has surprised many. It will take some of the graininess out of good ole James's voice. You've trusted me so far, trust me on this as well...

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK! Southbound