Please help solve my dilemma - AUX input without delay vs. loss of sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help solve my dilemma - AUX input without delay vs. loss of sound quality

I have a 2003 3.2TL (without navigation), and I'm in something of a bind. I would like to provide an AUX input at minimal cost without sacrificing either sound quality or operating convenience.

My first attempt to solve this problem was to add an AUX input to the stock Bose stereo. I visited my local car stereo shop and they sold me a Peripheral AUX input adapter. However, I absolutely hated the 30-to-60-second delay that incurred between switching between the radio, CD changer and the AUX input. So, I got a refund on the parts (but not the labor, even though the salesman didn't disclose this particular issue - long story).

I then purchased a bracket and wiring harness to install a JVC single-DIN aftermarket head unit that I had salvaged from my old Accord. It is really nice, plays MP3s off CD/DVD-R, and has a built-in AUX input. However, my research on these forums has led me to believe that installing an aftermarket head unit in the TL is not a great idea because of the EQ problems and loss of output from the rear subwoofer. The solutions posted so far (involving connecting the subwoofer output on the head unit directly to the Bose subwoofer amp, bypassing the EQ) appear suboptimal and appear to have their own problems (POP sound caused by overload?). I've also experienced a small amount of what I believe is ground loop noise, but can't be sure.

My wife absolutely forbids me from sinking several thousand dollars into replacing all the speakers, adding amps, etc. So that's out of the question.

So, what am I to do here? I really like the iPod setup I have now (Belkin AutoKit wired directly into the JVC's AUX input) but hate the sound quality and the occasional noise. On the other hand, I really hated the hackish quality of the Peripheral AUX input adapter.

Is there a better AUX input adapter out there that doesn't make you wait a seemingly interminable period before hearing anything out of it? Logjam carries a number of solutions but their return policy isn't very good, so I really don't want to waste money and suffer frustration trying more so-called "solutions" that won't give me what I want.

Last edited by otterley; 04-09-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As far as replacing the factory headunit with a new one and connecting the subwoofer output direct should solve your problem 100% - adding an aftermarket headunit, well, all the ones we have done, has only improved overall sound quality, not degraded it, nor has it produced any problems with the factory subs and "popping".

The best aux input adapter we've used so far for the factory headunit is the Blitzsafe piece.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the quick response.

StreetEffectz: I noticed that you posted a "how-to" on connecting an aftermarket stereo's line-level subwoofer outputs to the Bose subwoofer amp input behind the rear seat. Thank you! Would it also be possible either to:

(a) Connect a line level output from the aftermarket stereo to the Bose EQ input, or

(b) Splice the subwoofer output from the aftermarket stereo into the subwoofer input line (i.e. bypassing the EQ) using a wire tap

... so that I don't have to run a redundant cable? Which option is preferable in terms of sound quality?

A few more questions:

1) Does the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX v.1 introduce a long switching delay like the Peripheral box does?

2) For those who have tried the Neo Ion and/or Icelink products, do they introduce a similar, long switching delay?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've never heard of ANY aux in adapter, including the Peripheral units I've used, having a delay like that, and I think you might have had a bad one.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by elduderino
I've never heard of ANY aux in adapter, including the Peripheral units I've used, having a delay like that, and I think you might have had a bad one.
Weird. I gave the folks at Neo Car Audio a call re: their ION unit, and they told me that it's not uncommon, depending on the precise radio involved, and so far nobody has found a solution. The installer who originally sold it to me also told me (after installing it!) that this problem was common and that most customers just sucked it up.

Which year TL have you tried them on? It could very well be a compatibility problem with a particular subset of factory head units.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Solved

Solved my problem. The Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX v.1 adapter, unlike the Peripheral adapter, works just fine. No switching delays, and excellent sound quality.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The Neo guys lie and smoke crack.