Ok Some IMPORTANT questions about Upgrading from the Bose system....Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok Some IMPORTANT questions about Upgrading from the Bose system....Anyone?

Ok Here we go....hopefully these questions and answers will help others out also.

1) I see that the stock speakers are protected by some plastic housing. I assume this is for water protection etc. Once we remove these so that we can install new speakers, how do we protect the new speakers from water, snow, moisture, etc?

I am keeping the original HU and using the cablelink (http://www.linkmeup.com) for the TL and it is basically an adapter that plugs into the stock HU and gives me 4 RCA cables. One for Each speaker.

2) Once I hook that up with the RCA's going to the amp...obviously I don't need the bose amp anymore. What do I do with it? Just leave it? Do I need to cut any wires for it so that it does not interfere with anything?

I hear ALOT of talk about running the power wire away from the RCA cables to avoid noise etc. Can the Power cable and the speaker wire going to one side of the car be together?

Is there normally interference from the power wire near the speaker wire?

Well that is about it for now....any answers would be great!!!

Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
1) No you dont need to do anything to protect new speakers, any new speaker will be some sort of plastic anyway - the shitty Bose speakers are just paper so they need the protection

2) Just leave your bose amps, just in case you want to go stock later.

Keep your power wire away from your RCA's and speaker wire just to me safe. Run power down your drivers side and the RCA's and speaker wire on the other side.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by OU Sig
1) No you dont need to do anything to protect new speakers, any new speaker will be some sort of plastic anyway - the shitty Bose speakers are just paper so they need the protection

2) Just leave your bose amps, just in case you want to go stock later.

Keep your power wire away from your RCA's and speaker wire just to me safe. Run power down your drivers side and the RCA's and speaker wire on the other side.

OU Sig,

So did you get rid of those white plastic housings that the original bose were seated in or just put the new speakers in there and use a spacer to make sure it seated correctly?

Hmmm I already have my speaker wires on both sides of the car for tha appropriate speakers (left side has LF and LR, right has RF and RR), then running into the trunk.

Then along with the speaker wire for the right speakers, I also have the RCA's for all 4 speakers running on the right side.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I guess I will have to run the 4 Guage AWG down the center of the car under the carpet. That would still be easier the re-reunning the speaker and RCA wires to the other side.

Time to use that fishtape again!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
that is fine for your power wire, I dont know if you will have a hump in your carpet though??? hmmm

I kept the plastic things with my other stock stuff, just in case I go back to stock.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters

I am keeping the original HU and using the cablelink (http://www.linkmeup.com) for the TL and it is basically an adapter that plugs into the stock HU and gives me 4 RCA cables. One for Each speaker.
I was looking at the pics for the above link ... but maybe it looks different once seen in person. How is the quality of this cable? Its looks like some rigged up, home made stuff in the pics. Looks very non professional with the electrical tape. I also think it should be female rca outputs to make it easier to use standard RCA cables with male plugs at both ends.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro

Well it may not look the best...BUT have you tried to splice into the stock radio wires???

This saves HOURS of work, plus t is behind the dash.....who is going to see it anyway?