CL: Non-navigation to navigation to MDX navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Non-navigation to navigation to MDX navigation

Sorry about the confusing title. I have a 2003 CL-S without factory navigation. Initially I preferred this but my 2003 parts car did include it and I like using the A/C controls on the display screen. So, I've made up my mind to swap over to the factory navigation as I have all of the hardware including the display, DVD drive, antenna and wiring harnesses.

I think it's no secret that the factory 3.2CL sucks. It was designed in 1998 for a 1999 model and hasn't really changed since then apart from shifting over to a DVD drive and including whatever software updates there were between the different years. Anyway, it still sucks. In my opinion, the 2003-2004 MDX navigation system offers some performance improvement, but not much. The 2005-2006 MDX navigation is a night and day difference with additional features and a revised user interface. None of this is from personal experience. It is all from what I've seen online in pictures that others have posted.

Both of these particular MDX model ranges utilize the same A/C control buttons to the side of the display. They are on the opposite side but if the entire unit is swapped in that's inconsequential. Before we go further, let's disregard the aesthetic realities of trying to retrofit a larger screen. For these reasons I'm not entertaining a 2004-2008 TL navigation display, so I think what I've proposed is within the realm of reality.

2003-2004 MDX navigation
-Same exact physical connectors on the back of the display as the unit from the 2003 3.2CL. I have not verified the pin-out of these connectors but I've acquired the diagrams from both the 2001-2003 3.2CL and the 2003-2004 MDX and will compare them tonight. I don't expect many issues with that.
-The update DVD cross-compatability between the 3.2CL and MDX is only with the 2001-2002 MDX. So, while the unit looks like it will plug in, there's apparently enough difference that a different disc is required to update it.
-The form factor of the display unit looks to be slightly larger than the 3.2CL.

2005-2006 MDX navigation
-It retains the 20-pin connector on the back, but loses the 5-pin. That spot is now covered in tape on the back of this display unit. Why is that? It seems to have all of the same physical functions as the previous years so what is it either deleting or integrating within the unit itself? Looking at the '03-'04 harness these functions are "CLK2, ACI and ACO". Without investigating further I'm not entirely sure what these are for. Clock and A/C would be obvious, but exactly what functions are unclear to me.
-The resolution of the screen, from memory, is much nicer. Looking online at the units available for sale, the screen size is noticeably bigger but retains the same form factor as the '03-'04. From this logic, if I could get the '03-'04 to fit then physical fitment of this one shouldn't be any different of a challenge.

So, in essence, this post says a lot without really saying anything at all. I know a few things, but not enough that I'm ready to pull the trigger on all of the '05-'06 MDX parts yet. To get started I first want to have everything in my parts car CL transferred over to my main car. I'm fine to this point. The questions I have involve mainly MDX stuff. What issues do those of you familiar with both systems KNOW that I will have? If you're wondering, I would like to add hands-free calling and a rear view camera. If I can do this with OEM Acura parts, I'm fine with that. Don't let that be a knock against the newer stuff because there will be issues without its additional features present in my car as I hope to add them as well. Someone just help me think through some issues I may be looking over.

Thanks a lot for reading my blabbing!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm still interested in help on this topic if anyone has any insight.

I'd also like to know if anyone would foresee any compatibility issues just upgrading the DVD reader to a newer model.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I wish the Navigation had "Route Selection", other than that it is not too bad.