Newbie askin about pros and cons on Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:00 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie askin about pros and cons on Subwoofers

Hey guys...im new to this forum and just recently purchased a 2001 CL-S auto with 37k and im in Ever since i drove one of my friends 2003 CLS 6spd i was so impressed with the speed and craftmanship of this car. Its a perfect blend of sportyness and luxury, and the navi is a great option. I plan on adding the tv mod soon. I also own a SupraTT auto and the CL-S is a perfect companion I also got my moms to get an MDX when she was lookin for a new SUV.

Sorry for the long post but my main question is this...I've always had systems in my cars for the most part..my last car was a Solara SLE that i had 4 12's in...and i sold it before i really got the chance to see if the extra bass would bring on squeaks and rattles inside the car...and from past experience i believe that subs do cause rattle and squeaks to come out prematurely in a car!(i mean when the radio is off) I know my car is not new but damn it has a smooth ass ride and there is no squeaks or rattles whatsoever when the radio is off and i love that....so since our cars are so well built..i was wondoring if adding a maybe 3 10's or 2 12's would be ok and not cause any of this? I know theres rattlin when the system is on..duh..but im talkin about when the radio is off and u still hear squeaks or rattles caused by the bass over time?? Because if there is...i think i mite want to sell my system because i love the smoothness and quietness of our car stock...but i do miss the bass...im so confused about installing them...so if anyone has experience please let me know..and thanks again because this community is awsome from what i have seen!!
P.S. My car will never be driven in the winter months..i have a 95 civc for that So my car shouldnt get any squeaks caused by the cold nights here in chicago
Old 03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Flap.

well most peope complain about rattles before they get systems, so if yours istn rattling, it must be a good one.

with the right sound deadening, and a smaller scale setup it shouldnt cause too much rattling, but whenever you add extra presure to something it amplifies the little problems.

plenty of people have systems and seem to be very happy with them.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:36 PM
misanthropist

4 12's in a solara, can you still hear???

and yes if you drop 3 10's or 2 12's it will rattle, show me a car that won't shake with 2 jl's jacked in the trunk
Old 03-03-2004, 12:48 AM
I R 1337?

my trunk goes boom with only 1 12" cant wait to get the rest!! gonna go through and eliminate all teh rattles..gotta love epoxy/dynamat
Old 03-03-2004, 09:53 AM
I hand out swivel heads

I dynamated every square inch of the car, literally so I dont have to worry about that problem. I did have a single 12" sub when I was waiting for my system to be built and had no problems with that. But each car is different so tthere is no correct answer here, sorry.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the comments guys...ya i know every car is different but i just wanted to get comments from those that have systems in their cars. I know with a system most any car will rattle... but i want 2 make it clear that i want to know when ur radio is OFF if you heard any new rattles or sqeaks in ur car that surfaced because of all the bass..like i said rite now my car has 37k and when the windows are rolled up and the radio is off i hear no rattling when i go over bumpy roads...so i dont want to cause any by adding a system:P