New TSX owner but need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004 | 08:39 PM
Ladies call me LoveTran

New TSX owner but need help

Hey all,

I been reading this site for weeks and because of it, I went out and got me a 2004 CG TSX w/ Nav. I have a few questions. I'm new to this forum thing so forgive me.

Currently I'm planning to put in the following:

Nav-TV box - I'm probably going to go with AVElectronics sinces it has multiple video ports and TV tuner. Good idea or bad idea anyone?

DVD player - Anyone has sugguestion? Must have RCA out with RCA inputs on the front of the unit. This will go into the CD cubie with the door still attached to cover the unit (I have seen it done). I have thought about getting either a pyle or boss. I know that these aren't the best but can't argue with the price ($100)

XM Commander - This will go into the "Not an Ashtray" No FM mod here. I have a blitzsafe adapter coming for that. I will also plan to keep the door to cover the unit as well.

I know with the last two it's going to be a challenge but hopefully will work.

Here is my ultimate question that I need help with. Frankly I'm quite embrassed to ask this. How in the hell do I remove the center console panels by the AT, hand brake, and cup holder? I have a copy of Acura's manual (http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx/08A0308B06.pdf) to remove this panel. It says to "Gently pry up on the center to release the eight clips". There is appearently no screws. I tried to "Gently pry" the panel, it ain't moving. I'm about to get an axe to get this thing out. Any one has a trick to do this?

One other thing, for those who have AT. How can I remove the shift knob? I have tried twisting it off but it's not moving either. I want to avoid the hacksaw method if at all possible.
Old 10-12-2004 | 11:00 AM
VP Electricity

1) Don't remove shift knob. Unneeded.
2) Follow FAQ for disasssembly in SHOND thread. When you have to pull the cupholder, sit on the R side, and act like it ain't your car.
Old 10-12-2004 | 11:11 AM
Ladies call me LoveTran

I actually want to replace the shift knob with a momo knob. I just figure out how to remove the stock knob.

Back to the center panels, maybe a shoe horn will work
Old 10-12-2004 | 11:31 AM
VP Electricity

Pull UP. Put your hands inside the upholder at the aft end and pull up. Don't use a shoe horn, won't help. I inserted comments about this into that thread.

Disassembly notes:

Thanks for the heads-up on the tape on the sides of the console when removing the pocket.

With the 5AT, removing the cupholder/shifter surround:

1) Put a plastic bag and a rubber band over the shifter so it doesn't get scratched (or it very likely will...) Open the NOT AN ASHTRAY door.

2) Open the cupholder and put both hands inside the aft cup-basin and push outward towards the sides and pull up. You'll feel the passenger rear fastener come loose (Revenent, it helps if you pretend that it's someone else's car at this point : ).

3) THEN CLOSE THE CUPHOLDER. Or put tape along the passenger side of the console on the last 3 inches of the cupholder. The hinge for the cupholder door sticks out to the side when the door is open AND WILL SCRATCH YOUR CONSOLE.

4) Then stick your index finger in the aft end of the E-brake opening and pull up. Then just work the whole panel on up and off. You'll have to unplug the seat heater switches - they only have like 3 inches of slack. You'll find it'll help to have to have the shifter in something other than Park, but since you also have to take OFF the E-brake at times, do this on level ground.

5) After you've removed this panel you can get to the front two screws holding in NOT AN ASHTRAY.

6) When re-installing the center piece, MAKE SURE THE CUPHOLDER DOOR IS CLOSED. REMEMBER TO PLUG THE SEAT HEATER SWITCHES IN BEFORE SNAPPING ANYTHING INTO PLACE (oops: )

First, check the aft end of the E_brake boot. There is a small metal loop (looks like a stirrup) that is supposed to loop over a plastic tab (looks obvi). Mine was NOT on the tab when I took things off - make sure it's on right.

Next, be careful with the Driver's side rear corner - it seems to be balky. You don't have to press hard - if you do, you're not lined up.

Further experience says this works better from the R side than the L (at least for Right-handers)
Old 10-12-2004 | 03:43 PM
Ladies call me LoveTran

Actually I was joking about the shoe horn. I will try pulling the center console as you have noted...THANKS!

Any thoughts about the shift knob? Any way I can get that sucker off?
Old 10-13-2004 | 09:51 AM
Ladies call me LoveTran

Thanks, I was able to get the center panel off finally. Pulling the panel off from the passenger side was much easier then the driver side.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/armstr...&.dnm=e124.jpg
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:09 AM
VP Electricity

You left-handed? : )

On mine and on Joes, the driver side was much easier... but I guess we'll note that if one side is hard, try the other.