New guy here...just saying hi.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
SNAFU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here...just saying hi.

How's it going guys? I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and decided to register and say hi. You've got a nice forum. I just purchased my new TSX a couple of weeks ago, and I freaking love it. I've never owned a "car" before...man have I been missing out.

I'm what you would call a car audio nut. I've had several nice systems in the past and will be installing a new one in the TSX soon. I've got to say, the stock system in her sucks....I mean bad. The only problem is I've never seen a vehicle that seems so difficult to upgrade. I didn't get the Navi, ....seemed like a waste since there are only like four roads around here....., so the HU pretty much takes up the entire center of the dash. I haven't decided yet on which products to use this time around. I'm leaning toward Alpine or JL, but may go with something else. The plan is to replace the factory door speakers, throw out the 6x9's, add a couple of amps, and a sub or two. I'll post some pics when it's done. I'm going to leave the stock HU alone for now and see what it sounds like after everything else is done. To be honest with you, I really don't want to start cutting up the dash in this car. It just doesn't seem right. If I don't like it, the local shop can custom make a new center dash to fit a HU. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm going to be hanging out here in the future, and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm fairly knowledgeable in car audio, and hope I can contribute in some way. I'll be asking a few questions from time to time, so just deal with it.

As soon as I figure out how to post pics here, I'll show some from my last vehicle...an '05 Avalanche. Talk about going from one extreme to another. I couldn't have bought a more different vehicle from what I had. But, I do so very much love her.

Later.....
Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The TSX factory HU is a decent unit and it is now easy to replace the factory amp. I will caution you up front that you can’t use any off the shelf amp with it. I have posted lots of info on this. In short, the audio out of the HU is balanced, car stereo amps are unbalanced, and you can’t feed a balanced signal in to an unbalanced amp input without problems. Fortunately, JL and Rockford fosgate (punch and power series) amps have balanced inputs and will work perfectly with the TSX HU. Other amp manufactures are coming around to the benefits of balanced inputs (you can feed unbalanced signal in to balanced input but not the other way around) so check the specs before you buy.

Links
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/tsx-factory-amp-bypass-no-splice-adapter-harness-365854/

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/correct-way-bypass-tsx-audio-amp-360946/#post5283595

Congrats on your new ride!

jeff
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to our site, enjoy your stay and feel free to ask questions! Just make sure to search that it hasn't already been answered.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by mercman
The TSX factory HU is a decent unit and it is now easy to replace the factory amp. I will caution you up front that you can’t use any off the shelf amp with it. I have posted lots of info on this. In short, the audio out of the HU is balanced, car stereo amps are unbalanced, and you can’t feed a balanced signal in to an unbalanced amp input without problems. Fortunately, JL and Rockford fosgate (punch and power series) amps have balanced inputs and will work perfectly with the TSX HU. Other amp manufactures are coming around to the benefits of balanced inputs (you can feed unbalanced signal in to balanced input but not the other way around) so check the specs before you buy.

Links
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365854

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5283595

Congrats on your new ride!

jeff
Thanks for the welcome guys. Funny, I've never heard reference to balanced and unbalanced amps before. It just never came up because replacing the HU was never up for debate......whatever came with the car got thrown in the trash. Now, with these new "fancy" factory radios,..it causes a few problems.

JL seems like a logical choice....great gear, decent price, and efficient as hell. I've played with the idea of going all JL in the past, but never commited. I'll probably go that route.

Question...Do any of you know where to find pics of custom installed HU's in the TSX...not just putting a new unit in the storage compartment,.....but an all out custom dash job? I can't seem to find any, and if I go this route, I'd like to have something for inspiration. Custom made fiberglass dashes aren't cheap, so if I do this I only want to have to do it once.

I own one of maybe three TSX in this area....the other two are driven by college aged girls (due to this, I almost didn't buy the TSX, but then decided what the hell)....so there isn't anything to reference. The guys at the local shop just looked at me with blank stares when I showed them what I had bought. We actually spent the better part of an afternoon on the internet, and on the phone, trying to find a premanufactured dash kit. Guess what we found out....that's right...none existed.

Bypassing the amps won't be that big of a deal. Replacing the speakers should be easy also, but wiring everything up to the HU will undoubtedly kick their collective asses. Those guys already hate me anyway. I don't understand why though....all I ask for is perfect sound quality, a show worthy installation, and a fair price. I don't see what the problem is. (I like smilies by the way)

I figure the whole install, including gear, should cost around 3 - 3.5K.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 PM
SNAFU

OK mercan, I need one of your products. I tried to PM you, but for some reason I couldn't. Oh well, just tell me where to send the money, and I'll tell you where to send the harness. You deserve a medal, or something, for the work you've done for TSX owners. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm sure the guys down at the shop will want to personally thank you too.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Welcome
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by saltyone
OK mercan, I need one of your products. I tried to PM you, but for some reason I couldn't. Oh well, just tell me where to send the money, and I'll tell you where to send the harness. You deserve a medal, or something, for the work you've done for TSX owners. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm sure the guys down at the shop will want to personally thank you too.

I think you need a certain time registered or post count before you can PM. Anyhow I have two out of the first bunch remaining (I don’t think they are spoken for yet) I have some people on the fence. I’ll set one aside for when you get the PM working.

I hope to get some orders so I can get some more wire. I would hate to buy a 100ft spool of cable for one connector.

Your making a good choice with the JL.

jeff
Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
SNAFU

Another question....

I've never used an external EQ in the past. There has never been a need for one. Since I'll be keeping the stock HU, and using at least two amps, would the following product benefit me?

Pioneer DEQ-7600

This full-DIN, 15-band digital EQ offers five DSP sound fields, plus five preset and three programmable EQ curves. You also get a 4-mode listening position switch to adjust your sound stage and a spectrum analyzer to give you a light show with a moment-to-moment view of your system's response curve. Three sets of preamp outputs with a built-in subwoofer crossover help you configure your multi-amp system.

Important Note: This unit has no built-in amplifier — must be used in conjunction with one or more external amplifiers.

Details:
15-band digital EQ offers +/- 15dB gain, 3 user presets and 5 factory presets (Rock, Pop Vocal, Jazz, Hip Hop)
5 sound fields (Studio, Club, Jazz Club, Concert Hall, Stadium)
4-mode Listening Position Selector (Front Left, Front Right, Front, All)
1 set of preamp inputs
3 sets of preamp outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer)
selectable low-pass crossover for subwoofer output at 50, 80 and 125 Hz with an 18 dB/slope
15-band spectrum analyzer
memory backup retains settings for 3 days if your battery dies or is disconnected
signal-to-noise ratio 91 dB
THD 0.01%
7-3/16"W x 2-1/8"H x 6-3/16"D
1-year warranty
It seems to have all of the extras you would expect in a high quality aftermarket head unit. I'm one of those guys that like to have different equalization for different types of music. Since I enjoy listening to just about every kind of music there is, not having this option takes something away from my listening experience.

Mercman,....wouldn't your patch cable have to go through the DSP? Or, using the DSP, would the patch cable still be needed? I'm assuming it would because you still have to have a way to run the signal from the HU. How would using this device with the stock HU effect overall sound quality?

The storage compartment, underneath the AC controls, would be a perfect place to mount this.

The local shop insist that I will need something like this, with the multiple preamp outputs, in order to run multiple amps. What are your suggestions? You guys asked for questions...here they come. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
SNAFU

The Kenwood may be a better buy.....4-volt instead of the Pioneer's 2-volt. Same price...around $250.00

Kenwood KGC-9044

Mount this great-looking EQ/crossover in a DIN-sized opening in your dash, and fine-tune your multi-amp system without leaving the driver's seat. Three pairs of preamp outputs (front, rear, and non-fading for your sub amp) give you maximum flexibility in designing your system. These gold-plated preamp output jacks pump out a 4-volt signal, for maximum dynamic range, signal-to-noise ratio, and signal integrity, with minimal distortion.Selectable high- and low-pass electronic crossovers (each with selectable full-range pass-through) let you send each amp the precise frequencies your speakers require. You get an 11-band equalizer with 10 dB boost or cut on each band, and your choice of 8 high-pass and 3 low-pass settings on the crossovers. Choose from 6 factory-preset EQ curves, or program in 3 EQ settings of your own creation. A multicolor 11-band spectrum analyzer gives a cool visual display of the sonic contours you've selected.
Technical Specification
Number Of Bands: 11

Features
detachable face
11-band equalizer, 10 dB boost or cut for each band
11-band multicolor spectrum analyzer display with white LED backlight
3 sets of gold-plated 4 volt preamp outputs: front, rear, and non-fading
6 factory-preset EQ curves
3 user-programmable EQ curves
display contrast and dimmer adjustment
low-pass electronic crossover (50/80/120 Hz)
high-pass electronic crossover (40/60/80/120/150/180/220 Hz)
signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
THD 0.01%
7-1/16"W x 11-5/16"H x 5-3/4"D
I'm thinking the input into the DSP may be un-balanced, which would obviously be a problem. What say you mercman?

Last edited by saltyone; 05-24-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:01 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Just a thought. If you are really interested in that Pioneer EQ, I have a buddy that has one he might want to sell fairly cheap. He had it in a Mustang Cobra a few years ago. He's had a few cars since that the EQ will not fit in so it's been sitting in his closet. He's too lazy to try to sell it or put it on ebay so it's just been sitting in a closet with a ton of other equipment.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by bullyx2
Just a thought. If you are really interested in that Pioneer EQ, I have a buddy that has one he might want to sell fairly cheap. He had it in a Mustang Cobra a few years ago. He's had a few cars since that the EQ will not fit in so it's been sitting in his closet. He's too lazy to try to sell it or put it on ebay so it's just been sitting in a closet with a ton of other equipment.

I have to find out whether or not it'll even work in the car first.

Mercman....where are you?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Pro

Only devices with balanced differential inputs will work with the TSX HU. I don’t think the KW has them.

The TSX HU has low output impedance so it can be split with a simple “Y” cable (balanced of course) in to multiple amp inputs (again balanced).

The JL amps have excellent filters so they can be configured for just about any xover config.

Speaking as an audiophile the more you diddle with EQ the more screwed up things get. Put you $ in to the speakers. You can’t fix mechanical problems (cheap speakers) with electronics.

The installers are going to sell you the kitchen sink if you let them. You don’t need fancy cables or EQs to get great sound. Just an amp with balanced inputs connected correctly. Anything else is a step in the wrong direction.

When I refer to great sound I’m talking about low noise and distortion, how loud the bass is doesn’t concern me.

jeff
Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 PM
SNAFU

Only devices with balanced differential inputs will work with the TSX HU. I don’t think the KW has them.

The TSX HU has low output impedance so it can be split with a simple “Y” cable (balanced of course) in to multiple amp inputs (again balanced).

The JL amps have excellent filters so they can be configured for just about any xover config.

Speaking as an audiophile the more you diddle with EQ the more screwed up things get. Put you $ in to the speakers. You can’t fix mechanical problems (cheap speakers) with electronics.

The installers are going to sell you the kitchen sink if you let them. You don’t need fancy cables or EQs to get great sound. Just an amp with balanced inputs connected correctly. Anything else is a step in the wrong direction.

When I refer to great sound I’m talking about low noise and distortion, how loud the bass is doesn’t concern me.

jeff

So, what you are saying is that the "cable" you make can be split to send input to two different amps? If so, then problem solved.

Are you talking about one of these?

http://www.rackmount-devices.com/images/8402.gif

I doubt if there is an aftermarket EQ with balanced inputs out there anyway. If there isn't, then it's a moot point. The only way to find out, most likely, is to just start calling manufactures. It doesn't seem to be something listed on a spec sheet.

Mercman, I would really like to buy one of the remaining cables. Also....if there is in modification needed to run multiple amps, can you do it before sending it to me? I can pay with paypal, or just send a check. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:01 AM
SNAFU

Found an EQ. This should work..right mercman?

Audiocontrol Four.1

The FOUR.1 is a 1/2 DIN-sized five band equalizer with center frequencies and bandwidths designed by the signal processor experts at AudioControl. Whether you’re tweaking your system for crisper highs or snappier bass, the FOUR.1 can help you do so with uncompromised precision and clarity. The fifth band, called Para-BASS, provides you with a flexible parametric equalization so you can achieve the right bass response to suit your musical tastes. The FOUR.1 features a built-in professional quality line driver, which takes the signal from the head unit and boosts it up to 13 volts. The result is greater dynamic range and no system hiss going to your amplifiers. A feature that’s unique to AudioControl is the FOUR.1’s balanced differential circuit[SIZE=2], commonly used in professional recording studio equipment. This added noise rejection ensures that the FOUR.1 rejects all types of unwanted noises (even radiated noise). Other features include dual source inputs and selectable amber/green illumination. Made in the USA.

Specifications

Frequency Response: 10-100,000 Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%
Signal to Noise Ratio: 110 dB
Maximum Input/Output: 9.5V/13V
Input: Selectable Dual 2-Channel
Equalization Boost and Cut: 12 dB
Dimensions: 5 W x 6 3/4 D x 1 H
Some purist may not like EQ's, but come on, we've got to have just a little bit of adjustment capacity. What if you want that bass a little louder? You can't just pull over to the side of the road, get out, and turn the gain up on the amp. Well, I guess you could...but what a pain in the arse.

Anyhoo...I think I've got everything planned now.

(1) JL 13W6v2
(1) JL 500/1
(1) JL 300/4
(1) JL XR650-Csi componet set for front doors and dash
(1) JL XR650-Cxi coaxial for rear doors
(1) Audiocontrol Four.1......just so I can tweak it a tiny bit.

Anybody see any problems with this? Anything here that will not work in this car....assuming of course that I'm able to get one of mercman's cables?

Last edited by saltyone; 05-26-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

You can't just pull over to the side of the road, get out, and turn the gain up on the amp. Well, I guess you could...but what a pain in the arse.
Bass Knob FTW.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by Reach
Bass Knob FTW.

Now that's nice. You, sir, have proven me wrong. A remote gain for an amp...I had forgotten all about those.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 PM
SNAFU

Mercman,

If the EQ has balanced inputs, does it matter which amps are used? The signal from the HU goes straight to the EQ...the signal from the EQ goes to the amps...so it doesn't matter right?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Pro

Mercman,

If the EQ has balanced inputs, does it matter which amps are used? The signal from the HU goes straight to the EQ...the signal from the EQ goes to the amps...so it doesn't matter right?

No as long as the EQ has standard car audio line outputs you’re good to go. I should point out that any device that converts the HU balanced audio to a standard unbalanced line output should be mounted as close to the amp as possible. Otherwise you will loose all the noise rejection benefits of the balanced line.

jeff
Old 05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ JL makes those remote gains too. I have the same setup as rich. Bass Knob FTW + 1
Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
SNAFU

No as long as the EQ has standard car audio line outputs you’re good to go. I should point out that any device that converts the HU balanced audio to a standard unbalanced line output should be mounted as close to the amp as possible. Otherwise you will loose all the noise rejection benefits of the balanced line.

jeff

Thanks mercman. We're just days out now from doing the install. I'm using the Audiocontrol Four-1 no matter what. As far as the rest....I'm a little undecided. I listened to the Alpine PDX amps today....very nice. Either way, I've narrowed it down to Alpine or JL.

Alpine PDX 1.1000
Alpine PDX 4.100
Alpine Type X 12" sub
(2) Alpine Type X 6.5" Componet sets.

or

JL 13W6v2
JL 500/1
JL 300/4
JL XR650-Csi componet set for front doors and dash
JL XR650-Cxi coaxial for rear doors

Roughly the same price for products and install.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm using the Audiocontrol Four-1 no matter what.
Whoa there. I checked the spec on this unit: "Balanced Differential Inputs and Outputs for Maximum Noise Rejection". Its not going to provide you with an unbalanced output for a legacy amplifier like the Alpine. If you really want to use it (and not also use another converter, converting line driver, or balun) I would stick with the JL amps.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 AM
SNAFU

Whoa there. I checked the spec on this unit: "Balanced Differential Inputs and Outputs for Maximum Noise Rejection". Its not going to provide you with an unbalanced output for a legacy amplifier like the Alpine. If you really want to use it (and not also use another converter, converting line driver, or balun) I would stick with the JL amps.

You lost me there...but it sounds like it may just be easier to use the JL's. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

welcome mate
Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM
SNAFU

Input and output on the four.1 is switchable to balanced or unbalanced. I had to order the four.1 directly from AudioControl...should be in on Monday via UPS.

After many weeks of research, I've decided on going with Alpine. Using mercman's harness, I'll run the signal directly to the four.1 which will be mounted in the storage compartment in the dash. The signal input to the four.1 will be balanced. From the EQ I can select unbalanced going to the two amps. Install starts Monday morning...they'll have the car all week.

What's going in the car:

(1) Alpine PDX 1.1000
(1) Alpine 12" Type X
(1) Alpine 4.100
(2) Sets of Alpine SPX-17PRO 6.5" Type X Component's (Mounted separate in front..coaxial in rear doors)
(1) AudioControl Four.1 EQ

All four doors will be completely Dynamatted along with the trunk. The only other "planned" mods will be a remote gain for the PDX 1.1000, and upgraded battery.

Hopefully everything will be complete by Friday.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Best of luck! Post pictures and notes of how its going.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM
SNAFU

Harness arrived today....thanks mercman! Very well done.

Pictures during the install won't be possible Reach. The car is at the shop, and I'm working out of town. I left the installer a camera, and will post pics of the install plus finished product as soon as it's done.

Again, thanks mercman for the harness. I can't stress enough, anyone thinking of upgrading their stereo, get with mercman first.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Instructor

Interesting.... maybe I'll get the AudioControl FOUR.1 also so I can use my current amp. Tough decision spend 400+ buxs on a new JL amp or 250 on getting the AudioControl FOUR.1
Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Welkomen.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by dailo
Interesting.... maybe I'll get the AudioControl FOUR.1 also so I can use my current amp. Tough decision spend 400+ buxs on a new JL amp or 250 on getting the AudioControl FOUR.1

Be advised....it will not fit in the dash pocket. I went and looked over the car last night. We're going to have to install the four.1 in the center console. As it turns out, it is about a 1/4 of an inch too wide. It should still look nice, and we're still able to use mercmans harness. The installer gave mercman props, saying that the harness really made the install easier.

All dynamat is complete. Most wiring should have been completed last night. We've changed a couple of things along the way. They've been working on her since Monday morning, and should be done by Sat. night. The trunk and amp rack are going to look really nice. With all of the dynamat being used, the doors look like enclosures now.

I'll try to post some pictures tonight of the progress.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor

That sucks it would of been nice to put it on the center bin. Although wouldn't putting the EQ so far from the amp be bad because then you would lose all the benefits of a balanced signal? If your signal gets converted to unbalanced at the center console then it has to travel all the way to the trunk to the amp being unbalanced. My amp is underneath my passengers seat so its not as big of a problem. Thanks saltyone! Look forward to seeing those pics.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM
SNAFU

Originally Posted by dailo
That sucks it would of been nice to put it on the center bin. Although wouldn't putting the EQ so far from the amp be bad because then you would lose all the benefits of a balanced signal? If your signal gets converted to unbalanced at the center console then it has to travel all the way to the trunk to the amp being unbalanced. My amp is underneath my passengers seat so its not as big of a problem. Thanks saltyone! Look forward to seeing those pics.

Not really a problem with the four.1. It has up to a 13V signal output...very clean. It really isn't mounted that far away from the amps..they're mounted right behind the rear seat. The EQ looks pretty nice in the center console. I no longer have the small top tray though. In order to mount the four.1 flush with the top of the large bottom pocket, the tray had to come out.

I just got back from checking up on her. The fabrication is almost complete. The amp rack and sub enclosure looks sweet. My installer is working half the night in order to have everything done by tomorrow afternoon. I have to say, I'm very proud of the way it's turning out. There's a crap load of money invested in things that will never be seen, outside of the scrapbook, but it should pay off dividends in sound quality. We'll see...down to about 12 hours until completion.

I'll have to figure out some way to post the pictures. The shop has taken lots of digital pictures, and my installer has been taking pictures with a disposable camera I left him. I'll get the film developed tomorrow, and have the shop email their pictures. I guess I'll have to sign up with one of the picture posting websites in order to post them here.

I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. I can not wait to hear her.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Maybe you can post them onto flikr or something. Can't wait to see your pics! I think I am going to get one and mount it in my center console. Looking forward to see yours to get some ideas!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM
SNAFU

I'll have the pics posted today..maybe late evening,..but definitely today.