New DICE From Denison - ICE-LINK Is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New DICE From Denison - ICE-LINK Is Dead!

Talked with Denison, today, and they are now selling the DICE for $159 ($20 less than the ICE-LINK.) The salesperson "assured me" it's fully compatible with my CL-S 6sp w/Navi. Uses steering wheel controls; text-on-HU supported; would that it displayed iPod UI on navi-screen.....

It probably requires a Y-cable and I would even like to leave an extra hook-up if I decide to get XM or Sirius.

Very little real info on their website: http://www.densionusa.com/ or http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm (Curiously similar site designs...)

They should have "dealers in my area...."

(ICE-LINKs are still for sale but only until stocks run out.)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best 1st post ever...!!

Awesome news..

And welcome to the site..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok im about to order a 3rd gen ipod off ebay. what kit should I order and where to get the Ipod working best in my 6 speed wit nav?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CLS6SpeedNupe
ok im about to order a 3rd gen ipod off ebay. what kit should I order and where to get the Ipod working best in my 6 speed wit nav?
?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:44 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I selected 04 Acura TSX in the preorder page and at the bottom it shows:
NOTE: Honda radios do not support the text display feature.

So other than steering wheel controls that replace the super easy to use ipod gui, why would I use this instead of an aux input?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
No one has tested one with 05-up TSX XM either

I plan on testing it as soon as they actually ship one...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
WTF!!!!!! They said nothing of this last month when I called about the IceLink not working in my car! I just bought the damn Ion!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

so um what should i get guys?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I called them them & complained.
They said the new unit is from a different manufacture, & it should work with the 03 CLS. It has a little plastic box like the Ion with dip switches. It's nothing like the IceLink. They say you will get track/volume control, & play list function with 1-6 cd buttons. No text display since Honda radio's don't support that. It will also either lock out the ipod, or let you control the ipod. If you want to control the ipod there's a 10 sec delay when you plug it in. No delay if you lock it out.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by overpar
Talked with Denison, today, and they are now selling the DICE for $159 ($20 less than the ICE-LINK.) The salesperson "assured me" it's fully compatible with my CL-S 6sp w/Navi. Uses steering wheel controls; text-on-HU supported; would that it displayed iPod UI on navi-screen.....

It probably requires a Y-cable and I would even like to leave an extra hook-up if I decide to get XM or Sirius.

Very little real info on their website: http://www.densionusa.com/ or http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm (Curiously similar site designs...)

They should have "dealers in my area...."

(ICE-LINKs are still for sale but only until stocks run out.)
I'm glad you posted this because I was going to mention it. I just purchased one and will have it at 4pm today! I'm planning on installing it POSSIBLY this weekend but I'll be out of town until Sunday evening, so that may not happen.

Just an FYI: The cradle is an EXTRA $59 from Dension! It is NOT included in the $159 price. Also, the cradle will have a video out connection for video ipods but that won't do OEM Acura headunit users much good .

Will keep ya posted!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I called them them & complained.
They said the new unit is from a different manufacture, & it should work with the 03 CLS. It has a little plastic box like the Ion with dip switches. It's nothing like the IceLink. They say you will get track/volume control, & play list function with 1-6 cd buttons. No text display since Honda radio's don't support that. It will also either lock out the ipod, or let you control the ipod. If you want to control the ipod there's a 10 sec delay when you plug it in. No delay if you lock it out.
I guess there is a misunderstanding then because the DensionUSA website says the following:

"The previously played song should start to play. You can browse music (a) by using the iPod's clickwheel or (b) using controls on your radio or steering wheel without having to change any settings at anytime.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

This is what tech said. Please post your experience with it after you get it working.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Racer

This is what tech said. Please post your experience with it after you get it working.
I just called them and they confirmed what I posted in my previous post: you can control the iPod from the iPod itself or the h/u steering wheel controls at the same time, and that there isn't a separate "UI" like the IceLink.

I'll confirm with my install.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Right, but they said you can do it either way. Have it control the ipod with the ipod locked out so it doesn't work, or have the ipod control & the HU control at the same time. They said with the the ipod not locked out there would be a 10 sec delay when you plug the ipod in.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01RedCLS
I just called them and they confirmed what I posted in my previous post: you can control the iPod from the iPod itself or the h/u steering wheel controls at the same time, and that there isn't a separate "UI" like the IceLink.

I'll confirm with my install.
Install will probably be on Sunday now - I've been way too busy lately.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Racer

Install will probably be on Sunday now - I've been way too busy lately.
I think I may have a defective unit.

I ripped apart my 2001 CL-S dash this afternoon, plugged in the Dice unit, and it instantly recognized my iPod. After 10 seconds of "loading" (the manual says to let it do this and not touch the iPod during this process), it was finished. I saw the Dice unit was already charging my iPod - so far, so good.

The bad news is that when I pressed the 'CD' button on my radio to execute the auxillary, it didn't do anything! I kept pressing it and pressing it to no avail. I've tried different combonations of the Dice dip switches but nothing worked .

I find it hard to believe that my radio has a problem switching to the AUX channel. What gives? Do you think I may have a bad Dice unit?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

I doubt it. As with all the ones I've tried it may just not work, or work well. You sure the cable is in all the way on the back of the HU? Did you try cycling off the dice, ipod, & the HU several times?

On another note could you post a pic or 2 of the Dice. I'd like to see what it looks like for the CL.

Thanks

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 05-22-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Racer

I doubt it. As with all the ones I've tried it may just not work, or work well. You sure the cable is in all the way on the back of the HU? Did you try cycling off the dice, ipod, & the HU several times?

On another note could you post a pic or 2 of the Dice. I'd like to see what it looks like for the CL.

Thanks
I'm going to talk to Dension about this today - I'll post the results.

I'm sure the cable is in all the way on the HU - I checked it multiple times.

I tried cycling off the Dice, unplugging/plugging back in, resetting the iPod multiple times, removing the negative battery cable.

I'll post pics later tonight.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Racer

I'm going to talk to Dension about this today - I'll post the results.

I'm sure the cable is in all the way on the HU - I checked it multiple times.

I tried cycling off the Dice, unplugging/plugging back in, resetting the iPod multiple times, removing the negative battery cable.

I'll post pics later tonight.
When I called Dension, they told me they'd RMA the unit but asked me to try changing over to the AUX (CD1 on the CL-S) input WITHOUT the iPod connected. I tried it - no difference.

I shipped the bad unit back to Dension this afternoon. I should be getting the new one soon.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Professional Newbie

subscribed
Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

any luck with the second unit? I'm considering ordering the Dice-link for an 01 CL-S with Navi but I don't want to purchase it if it doesn't work.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by blinktmnt182
any luck with the second unit? I'm considering ordering the Dice-link for an 01 CL-S with Navi but I don't want to purchase it if it doesn't work.
Sorry for the lack of an update.

I did get the second "unit" but all I received was the little black box and updated instruction booklet (version 2) - they didn't send me the cables.

The reason it has taken so long to get this worked out is because they haven't yet received the unit I RMA'd. It was 2 weeks Tuesday, so I called and talked to them about it. Now granted, they did cross-ship the new "unit" (again, just the newer box and booklet) right away.

After some back and forth with them asking if they've received the RMA yet (because I wanted them to send back the cables to me!), I asked them to just ship me new cables today. They did this without hesitation (great customer service, by the way!) and I received the shipping notice immediately in my email.

So I should receive the cables, so I can test out the new box, by Thursday or so of next week.

I'll post as soon as I hook it up and test it. When I originally called them about the problem, they told me they would have the second unit tested before sending it out. Hopefully that was the case.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Racer

The cables for my new, updated, tested DICE unit are on their way! They will be delivered on Thursday and I will be installing them Friday evening.

I will post my results as soon as installation and subsequent testing is completed.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Racer

Bad news: same problem - the head unit doesn't recognize the iPod.

It's REALLY ODD because it charges the iPod and does *seem* to recognize it (cycling through the iPod menus automatically, like the Dice instructions say it should) but when I press the "CD" button on my head unit, it doesn't "switch" to CD1.

Is that how I switch to "CD Changer" mode for the iPod? Can someone confirm? Do I need to hold it and press something else maybe?

Anyway, when I plug the cable to the iPod, I can hear the speakers "receiving" the connection (they make a very slight sound) but again, the head unit will NOT switch to auxillary mode.

HELP! Dension is having someone call me Monday but at this point, I'd rather just return it.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

It's the same thing I went through. It's the buggy software in 01-03 CL Acura HU's. Some work, some kind of work, & some don't work.
That is how you do it, just hit the CD button & it will go to CD changer mode.
I'm going with the blitz safe adapter & a line cable. Cheap & easy. So it doesn't charge it & I have no track control, but I get volume. I have this setup in my Explorer & it works fine.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Racer

It's the same thing I went through. It's the buggy software in 01-03 CL Acura HU's. Some work, some kind of work, & some don't work.
That is how you do it, just hit the CD button & it will go to CD changer mode.
I'm going with the blitz safe adapter & a line cable. Cheap & easy. So it doesn't charge it & I have no track control, but I get volume. I have this setup in my Explorer & it works fine.
Which Blitzsafe is that?

I was going to buy a Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 cable....

I've heard these work with the Navi...

I think you are correct - it's the headunit. I thought it first it might be the "age" of my '01 CL (I think the original owner purchased it in August 2000) but if you are having the same exact problem, then it has to be buggy headunits.

It's very frustrating. Let's keep in touch to try to figure out what works.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Spoke with Dension Today....

...relayed the problems with the two DICEs shared here to a knowledgeable-sounding (Indian) fellow in tech support. He would not admit that the DICE worked with my '03 CL, 6cd, w/Navi. I said a someone I know had two units and neither worked. He said Dension hadn't fully tested the DICE with all car models....

I told him two of his salespeople assured me the DICE worked with my setup and suggested they be reoriented.

Darn! I wanted the DICE to work!

I was leaving on a road trip and need something..., and about that's all I got.

I had a Monster cassette adapter that failed so I took it back to BestBuy. There, I had to trade it (and $10) for the only thing they had, a Griffin Smartdeck Cassette Adapter. It didn't work out-of-the-box. ChumpUSA only had a white cassette adapter, so I found a black one a WalMart. Oddly, it picks up on some RF from my ignition. It's minor, but when I get hardwired, WalMart gets it back.

(Did Dension change their name from Denison...???)
Old 06-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by overpar
...relayed the problems with the two DICEs shared here to a knowledgeable-sounding (Indian) fellow in tech support. He would not admit that the DICE worked with my '03 CL, 6cd, w/Navi. I said a someone I know had two units and neither worked. He said Dension hadn't fully tested the DICE with all car models....

I told him two of his salespeople assured me the DICE worked with my setup and suggested they be reoriented.

Darn! I wanted the DICE to work!

I was leaving on a road trip and need something..., and about that's all I got.

I had a Monster cassette adapter that failed so I took it back to BestBuy. There, I had to trade it (and $10) for the only thing they had, a Griffin Smartdeck Cassette Adapter. It didn't work out-of-the-box. ChumpUSA only had a white cassette adapter, so I found a black one a WalMart. Oddly, it picks up on some RF from my ignition. It's minor, but when I get hardwired, WalMart gets it back.

(Did Dension change their name from Denison...???)
Like Fuzzy found out (and others) before I tried the Dice unit, Dension is a poor company to do business with. Even if they get a unit that suddenly works with the '01-'03 CL in the future, I won't buy it. I'd rather throw a CD in or, better yet, find a cheaper alternative.

I called and asked for a refund today. They are having me RMA the unit - I actually spoke to the gal that does the RMAs and she was quite nice, unlike some of the others I've talked to at Dension.

Oh well, I'm not giving up just yet on using my iPod in the car (cable input - not radio/tape).
Old 06-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 cable
Yeah that one
Old 06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Blitzsafe: Walk Backwards Into the Future?

No DICE!

A frustrated (Acura/) Honda Music Link owner started a wiki for a collaborative iPod integration solution. His wiki is located at <http://www.dingleberrypie.com/index.php/Main_Page>.

> Born out of the issues discovered and documented in the Honda Music Link iPod
> Adapter Review over at nuxx.net, this site is a wiki used for holding collaborative
> information about the Acura / Honda Music Link iPod Adapter and some
> modifications which we hope to make so that it works better.
> * Project Goal
> * Interface Board (PCB) Information
> * Honda / Acura Music Link Pinouts
> * Related Information

Not sure it will help those of us with Acuras not supported by the "Music Link".

Another option to keep a sceptical eye on.... VAIS Technology
> AVGateway is an innovative integration solution for most Toyota/Lexus,
> Nissan/Infinity, and Honda/Acura vehicles, currently developed for Toyota/Lexus
> only. It connects directly to the vehicle's Audio-Video Communication network
> and is recognized by the vehicle's Head Unit as a native OEM device.

Today's news:
> Unfortunately we don't have anything for Acura."
> --
> Best regards,
> Eugene Kaspin
> VAIS Technology
> phone: 720-733-2348
> e-mail: info@vaistech.com

A while back, I saw an impressive installion on a Mac Mini. You get you music, you get your navigation, you get your screen(s), you get your DVD, you get your data. It's starting to make $en$e....
Old 06-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Dension DICE

I had the same exact experience with the Dension DICE unti in my sisters '01 CL-S. She actually paid to get the unit professionally installed! The IPOD would cycle through the menus and charge as if it everything was connected properly, but the CD changer would not swithc over to Auxilary!

I had also ordered the DICE for my car '03 CL-S manual, so we had a second unit on hand to try out. The second unit also did not work! I spent about an hour on tech help and was told that Dension had not tested the DICE with our specific headunit. (they have bought a Acura CL HU and are going to test the DICE with it in the next 2 weeks).

Customer service called me and agreed to refund the money for the 2 DICE units and ship out 2 Icelinks free of charge. They have not agreed to refund the $120 that my sister spent to get the DICE installed. I was happy with this result until I started to worry that the Icelink might not work in my or my sisters car. I am gonna have to do more research on the Icelink in this forum.

So basically, THE DENSION DICE DOES NOT WORK WITH '01-'03 CL!!! I will say that I am MORE than happy with the customer support and also the tech support. Unfortunately for Dension, their R&D and engineering departments are apparently not as good!

Now I am on a mission to find a unit that will DEFINITELY work in my car! I am currently looking at the Neo Ion and or BLitzsafe... are there any other options out there?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Now I am on a mission to find a unit that will DEFINITELY work in my car! I am currently looking at the Neo Ion and or BLitzsafe... are there any other options out there?
Just look at post 1 on the 2nd page of this thread. There's your answer. I've tried them all.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Racer

Update on my search for an iPod AUX connection:

I found at least ONE alternative that WORKS! I have installed the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1D. This is ONLY a Factory AUX input interface - in other words, it has 2 RCAs on the end - NOT an iPod connector.

This worked perfectly and sounds pretty good! However, it still doesn't quite meet what I'd like out of a connection. I really would like something that charges the iPod at the same time - an all-in-one cable that charges and plays.

So, given my discovery that my headunit CAN switch to AUX mode, when a working interface is installed, I have now ordered the Blitzsafe HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 which will give me what I'm looking for.

I'll have it by next week and will post results.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool. I haven't been motivated to buy anything yet. It's not a priority in my CL since it has a changer. My Explorer is what I've been messing with since it only has a single CD player.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Professional Newbie

Update on my search for an iPod AUX connection:

I found at least ONE alternative that WORKS! I have installed the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1D. This is ONLY a Factory AUX input interface - in other words, it has 2 RCAs on the end - NOT an iPod connector.

This worked perfectly and sounds pretty good! However, it still doesn't quite meet what I'd like out of a connection. I really would like something that charges the iPod at the same time - an all-in-one cable that charges and plays.

So, given my discovery that my headunit CAN switch to AUX mode, when a working interface is installed, I have now ordered the Blitzsafe HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 which will give me what I'm looking for.

I'll have it by next week and will post results.
Dude i know exactly what you need, i have a SNHOND1 which has RCA inputs and i attached this...its made by Belkin

you just need to get an RCA to mini plug Y-cable and then all you see is a dock connector which will charge your ipod and put the music through your aux-in, its the best!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Professional Newbie

oh, PS....I took out the center console and ran the wire directly from my "Blitzsafe" into my center storage box, just drill a little hole to put the RCA cables through. Then you just hook up that belkin thing inside the box and run the dock connector out by the cupholders
Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
4th Gear

I also ran into the issue with the Dension DICE in my 03 CL-S. When I was looking into other options I found at Circuit City a product from wiretunes. I bought it and it works! Don't know anything about them or there product quality. Does any body have any experiences with them good or bad. I can still return it and Dension will be sending me a replacement unit which I don' t have much faith in.

https://wire-tunes.com/
Old 06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

$202.30 for me. Way too much money.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

anyone with a TSX have experience with the DICE unit? looks like all other bad experiences with this unit have come from CL models

Quick Reply: New DICE From Denison - ICE-LINK Is Dead!